Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chances of 5D MkIV have better dynamic range?

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 19, 2014 11:30 |  #1

I love my Canon gear for my wedding photography. I love the 600EXRT's built in radio, I love the 5D3's not too big filesizes.. lenses etc... functionally everything is great.

But... but... that dynamic range :( My style of shooting lends itself very well to have that wide range as I prefer to underexpose for the highlights and bring back the shadows, but I'm very limited with that 5D3 sensor.

I get the itch to switch over to Nikon for the DR alone but then I'd be giving up on a lot of functional things that I love about the Canon system. How likely are we to get Nikon-like DR in the 5D4? Is this even something Canon cares about for it's consumers? DR actually went down from the 5D2 to the 5D3 so that's not a promising sign.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,470 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jul 19, 2014 11:35 |  #2

We don't even know the likelihood of 5D4 coming to being or even to coming to a "rumor" stage.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 19, 2014 11:39 |  #3

SYS wrote in post #17041823 (external link)
We don't even know the likelihood of 5D4 coming to being or even to coming to a "rumor" stage.

I know.. it's more of a thinking out loud kind of thing... and if this issue is even on Canon's radar given that the 5D3 wasn't an improvement over the 5D2 on that matter.

I really don't want to go through the trouble of making the switch and would just rather Canon make the improvement. Time shall tell.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,281 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 19, 2014 11:58 as a reply to  @ pstyle1's post |  #4

...the 5DX has all of that, it's coming out this christmas :rolleyes:

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 19, 2014 11:58 as a reply to  @ pstyle1's post |  #5

Just thinking out loud...
What is the DR of the 1Dx like?
Would you consider trading in one of your 5DmkIII for one?

It would take wild horses to make me switch brands.
Too big an investment in lenses.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 19, 2014 14:03 |  #6

Well, it's interesting, because up until recently the "emphasis" has been on the "upper range" of the dynamic range -- Canon still leads in high ISO capabilities, and Canon Raw files give a lot of latitude as far as "toning down" highlights, in fact, so much so that "Exposing To The Right" has for many of us replaced the idea of "exposing for the highlights"...

However, in recent times the Sony/Nikon alliance has definitely improved the lower end of the dynamic range, as to lower ISO capabilities with the shadows, a lot of photogs are quite impressed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Canon catching up!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,011 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jul 19, 2014 18:45 |  #7

The 7DII has been a rumor for years, so who knows how long it will be for the 5DIV.

But there have been a lot of rumors and patents surrounding a multi-layer foveon sensor, which hopefully will make it into the next 5D. The 5DIII is a fantastic camera in all areas except the sensor...its the one area they have to improve, and given what we've seen with the exmore, there's a lot of room for improvement.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,718 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 19, 2014 21:45 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #17042063 (external link)
Well, it's interesting, because up until recently the "emphasis" has been on the "upper range" of the dynamic range -- Canon still leads in high ISO capabilities, and Canon Raw files give a lot of latitude as far as "toning down" highlights, in fact, so much so that "Exposing To The Right" has for many of us replaced the idea of "exposing for the highlights"...

However, in recent times the Sony/Nikon alliance has definitely improved the lower end of the dynamic range, as to lower ISO capabilities with the shadows, a lot of photogs are quite impressed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Canon catching up!

exposing to the right is exposing for highlights. The concept is about exposing as bright as possible while not clipping valuable highlights even if you may want the exposure level of the final processed image to be darker. It is not about blowing out highlights to protect shadows

Gear List

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 20, 2014 05:08 as a reply to  @ smythie's post |  #9

For the price it would cost to trade your 5d3 to the 5d4 if and when it comes out, one could probably buy the sony a7/a7r and suitable adapter. You then have a solution to your dynamic range type shooting while keeping the benefits of the 5d and L lenses

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 20, 2014 09:05 |  #10

All this is speculation until we see a new Canon sensor bought from Sony. I don't see Canon spending the vast funds required to develop a new sensor themselves* unless camera sales suddenly improve.

*Judging by the way employees are not getting wage updates, even now after the recession here in the UK - I'd say that is very unlikely.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

BXPhoto
Goldmember
2,170 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 20, 2014 10:08 |  #11

If you are a working photographer simply rent the gear and see if the change and small loss in working cash is worth the change over. It isn't that expensive to rent gear for a paid shoot and to shoot them both side by side. For me the D810 is giving me pretty much everything the 5d3 did over the D800 which is buffer and FPS. Now IMO there is no more performance gap. Just the file sizing. And even then the loss in the change over isn't that bad depending on what lenses your going to etc.

My name is Andrew and I like Canon's!!!
Gearlist and Feedback
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
BeXposed Photography on ModelMayhem (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 20, 2014 13:06 |  #12

pstyle1 wrote in post #17041812 (external link)
I love my Canon gear for my wedding photography. I love the 600EXRT's built in radio, I love the 5D3's not too big filesizes.. lenses etc... functionally everything is great.

But... but... that dynamic range :( My style of shooting lends itself very well to have that wide range as I prefer to underexpose for the highlights and bring back the shadows, but I'm very limited with that 5D3 sensor.

I get the itch to switch over to Nikon for the DR alone but then I'd be giving up on a lot of functional things that I love about the Canon system. How likely are we to get Nikon-like DR in the 5D4? Is this even something Canon cares about for it's consumers? DR actually went down from the 5D2 to the 5D3 so that's not a promising sign.

I switched and been a happy camper. I'm happy with Nikon's sensors which perform all around when it come to DR and ISO ( low and high). I've been waiting for Canon's answer since the 1Ds 3. That's almost six years! :)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 20, 2014 13:16 |  #13

Lowner wrote in post #17043520 (external link)
All this is speculation until we see a new Canon sensor bought from Sony. I don't see Canon spending the vast funds required to develop a new sensor themselves* unless camera sales suddenly improve.

*Judging by the way employees are not getting wage updates, even now after the recession here in the UK - I'd say that is very unlikely.

Personally I expect all those patents from Canon over the years must be good for something, they clearly still sink some money in to sensor development so until they do something to suggest otherwise I see no reason to believe they won't try to continue to compete in sensor technology, the question is when. If they wait a couple more years then I'd be more inclined to agree.

That said, I don't see them bringing out some massive improvement in sensor tech unless they're poised to update their whole lineup and over the next year they could do that without cutting their 5D3 or 1Dx too short, in my opinion.

We'll see though.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 20, 2014 13:33 |  #14

ˆˆˆ Agree ˆˆˆ

Canon certainly isn't moving fast when it comes to sensor tech. I don't see that changing any time soon either.

I myself have "made due" with Canon for a long time, but I finally jumped to Sony since I can still use all my glass.

I am thinking about getting an A7S to pair with the A7R - Once that's done, the prospect of me buying another Canon body is getting pretty slim. I'll keep the 5D3 as that will be my all-rounder and AF machine. Everything else will be done on Sony from now on out, or until Canon gets off it's ass.

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 20, 2014 13:37 |  #15

pstyle1 wrote in post #17041812 (external link)

You could transplant your Canon's sensor with that of a Nikon. Just for kicks.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links

17,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chances of 5D MkIV have better dynamic range?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.