Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Jul 2014 (Saturday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Chances of 5D MkIV have better dynamic range?

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 28, 2014 12:39 |  #61

Shadowblade wrote in post #17050202 (external link)
The DR is technically decent (not Exmor-like, but decent), but the darkest few stops are so badly affected by pattern noise that they're essentially unusable, especially if you need to do any sort of processing to bring out the shadows.

I'd say the functional DR is 3-4 stops less than the measured DR due to this pattern noise. The 6D has a similar measured DR, but the lack of pattern noise means that the usable DR is much greater.

Both cameras, though, are sorely lacking resolution for making large, detailed prints. 20/22MP was good for 2008, but inadequate for 2014.

How large do you print ? The max size I can print at home is 13x19 and they are incredible. I don't think that throwing 35-40 MP is necessary. (for me anyway)

About DR, I don't see the big deal...I expose to the right and bring it back down in post. The shadows slider also works really well...perhaps this step is not needed with the D810...

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,716 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 28, 2014 20:15 |  #62

Patbil10 wrote in post #17061722 (external link)
About DR, I don't see the big deal...I expose to the right and bring it back down in post. The shadows slider also works really well...perhaps this step is not needed with the D810...

It still works just as well for the D810 as any other digital camera these days. The D810 will allow even further messing about in shadows than the current crop of Canon's though

Gear List

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 28, 2014 23:27 |  #63

Patbil10 wrote in post #17061722 (external link)
How large do you print ? The max size I can print at home is 13x19 and they are incredible. I don't think that throwing 35-40 MP is necessary. (for me anyway)

24x72 on one printer, 44x132 on the other. For some custom installations, I've gone all the way to 2x6m (using an outside printing service). And viewers walk right up to it!

What do you shoot?

I don't have the option to expose to the right. When shooting a typical landscape, when I set the exposure so that the highlights aren't blown out, parts of the scene - sometimes large parts - will be in deep shadow. With a Canon sensor, these shadows are unuseable and I need to shoot two or three separate exposures in order to combine them in post-processing. With Nikon/Sony sensors, I can often get away with a single exposure, or at least fewer brackets (the fewer the brackets, the lower the risk of misalignment).

If you only shoot in controlled environments, or have the option of fill flash, or only shoot low-DR scenes, you'd probably never encounter this issue. But every landscape photographer I've met runs into it every time they shoot. Sunrise and sunset are very-contrasty lighting environments!

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 29, 2014 09:20 |  #64

Shadowblade wrote in post #17062963 (external link)
24x72 on one printer, 44x132 on the other. For some custom installations, I've gone all the way to 2x6m (using an outside printing service). And viewers walk right up to it!

What do you shoot?

I don't have the option to expose to the right. When shooting a typical landscape, when I set the exposure so that the highlights aren't blown out, parts of the scene - sometimes large parts - will be in deep shadow. With a Canon sensor, these shadows are unuseable and I need to shoot two or three separate exposures in order to combine them in post-processing. With Nikon/Sony sensors, I can often get away with a single exposure, or at least fewer brackets (the fewer the brackets, the lower the risk of misalignment).

If you only shoot in controlled environments, or have the option of fill flash, or only shoot low-DR scenes, you'd probably never encounter this issue. But every landscape photographer I've met runs into it every time they shoot. Sunrise and sunset are very-contrasty lighting environments!

I can see how DR can be an issue for you. I still think it's possible with a Canon sensor. The below image worked fine despite the high contrast areas...

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2876/9411117225_806850c5b1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/fkCr​gP  (external link) 152A8886.jpg (external link) by patbil (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 29, 2014 09:23 |  #65

Patbil10 wrote in post #17063663 (external link)
I can see how DR can be an issue for you. I still think it's possible with a Canon sensor. The below image worked fine despite the high contrast areas...
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/fkCr​gP  (external link) 152A8886.jpg (external link) by patbil (external link), on Flickr

The sky and part of the wedding dress are completely blown out.

If it were an architectural shot, landscape or other image where the whole image matters, not just the subject, it would be unacceptable.

To get the sky within the dynamic range in a single shot, the shutter speed would have to be a lot shorter, making everything else darker before recovering it in post-processing. Possible with a Sony/Nikon sensor, not possible with a Canon sensor (at least not without unacceptable noise).

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,388 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 29, 2014 09:40 |  #66

Shadowblade wrote in post #17063669 (external link)

If it were an architectural shot, landscape or other image where the whole image matters, not just the subject, it would be unacceptable.
To get the sky within the dynamic range in a single shot, the shutter speed would have to be a lot shorter, making everything else darker before recovering it in post-processing. Possible with a Sony/Nikon sensor, not possible with a Canon sensor (at least not without unacceptable noise).

Very true.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,716 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 03, 2014 20:04 as a reply to  @ David Arbogast's post |  #67

Given that scene, even a Sony sensor would need bracketing to keep the sky blue while having any useable information in the shadows

Gear List

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 04, 2014 02:10 |  #68

smythie wrote in post #17074334 (external link)
Given that scene, even a Sony sensor would need bracketing to keep the sky blue while having any useable information in the shadows

I wouldn't think so. Differences between sky and shaded ground tend not to be as extreme as imagined.

When I was shooting landscapes with a Canon body, I could normally bring sky and ground into balance with each other with a 2- or 3-stop GND filter (if the line of transition allows for it) or by using two bracketed exposures 2-3 stops apart and blending it. It didn't work for all situations, but, when things weren't moving, it was workable.

Between Sony's 2-stop advantage in DR and the lack of pattern noise making Sony's darkest few stops usable, you'd easily be able to capture that scene with a single Sony/Nikon frame, then bring up the shadows in processing.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2014 02:21 |  #69

Shadowblade wrote in post #17074762 (external link)
I wouldn't think so. Differences between sky and shaded ground tend not to be as extreme as imagined.

When I was shooting landscapes with a Canon body, I could normally bring sky and ground into balance with each other with a 2- or 3-stop GND filter (if the line of transition allows for it) or by using two bracketed exposures 2-3 stops apart and blending it. It didn't work for all situations, but, when things weren't moving, it was workable.

Between Sony's 2-stop advantage in DR and the lack of pattern noise making Sony's darkest few stops usable, you'd easily be able to capture that scene with a single Sony/Nikon frame, then bring up the shadows in processing.

As long as there is enough light to use a low ISO. When stepping up the ISO, the sensor will not just have more noise but will also lose stops of dynamic range.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 04, 2014 02:26 |  #70

smythie wrote in post #17074334 (external link)

No it wouldn't. The Sony sensor has as much latitude on the highlights as the Canon, but a lot more on the shadows.

I keep these screenshots just to demonstrate what can be done with the Exmor sensor. Will you need this kind of latitude often? No. There are plenty of times when it's useful though. Notice in both that they have been pushed 5 stops (all that Lr will allow) with highlights pulled all the way down and shadows pushed further still. Both images are as clean as you'd like.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …hed5stops_zps55​fa8b21.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …cledealer_zpsa9​b686a8.jpg (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Aug 04, 2014 04:43 |  #71

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17074769 (external link)
No it wouldn't. The Sony sensor has as much latitude on the highlights as the Canon, but a lot more on the shadows.

I keep these screenshots just to demonstrate what can be done with the Exmor sensor. Will you need this kind of latitude often? No. There are plenty of times when it's useful though. Notice in both that they have been pushed 5 stops (all that Lr will allow) with highlights pulled all the way down and shadows pushed further still. Both images are as clean as you'd like.

That is absolutely incredible. I have never had a situation where I had to do a 5 stop recovery on anything that mattered, but in my regular work the 2 stop exposure recovery never posed a problem. I have tried to make something increased by 5 stops and it looks like a mess. However, this is crazy. I'm about to jump on this wagon all you guys are all on.

Can you do that with a side-by-side of the exact same exposure settings with a Canon 5D III so we can see what the exact same Canon image looks like pulled 5 stops. Next to a shot with the Exmor sensor. I'd love to see the 100% zoom of both of those at +5 exposure.

So here's the funny thing I'm thinking about: canon has spent a lot of money on research to get it's cameras the ability of usable low-noise high ISO settings. But if the Exmor sensor doesn't need high ISO, and it produces low-noise underexposed images, isn't that almost the same thing? I mean... One you have the option to pump up ISO, the other you have the option to recover under exposure - and both will have low noise - but one will have the ability to recover a greater dynamic range and the other doesn't. It makes me think it might be possible to combine both abilities to make a camera that has low-noise recoverable images and low-noise high ISO ability.

I did find that the Exmor sensor does do some noise reduction processing on-chip. So now the question is: does Canon want to do any noise reduction to it's RAW images as a matter of principal.

Again, I am totally floored by this.

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 04, 2014 20:02 |  #72

Here is another example posted today by SLR Lounge. I LOL'd at the 5D3 example.

http://www.slrlounge.c​om/nikon-d4s-expectations/ (external link)

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 04, 2014 20:26 |  #73

CRCchemist wrote in post #17074850 (external link)
That is absolutely incredible. I have never had a situation where I had to do a 5 stop recovery on anything that mattered, but in my regular work the 2 stop exposure recovery never posed a problem. I have tried to make something increased by 5 stops and it looks like a mess. However, this is crazy. I'm about to jump on this wagon all you guys are all on.

Can you do that with a side-by-side of the exact same exposure settings with a Canon 5D III so we can see what the exact same Canon image looks like pulled 5 stops. Next to a shot with the Exmor sensor. I'd love to see the 100% zoom of both of those at +5 exposure.

So here's the funny thing I'm thinking about: canon has spent a lot of money on research to get it's cameras the ability of usable low-noise high ISO settings. But if the Exmor sensor doesn't need high ISO, and it produces low-noise underexposed images, isn't that almost the same thing? I mean... One you have the option to pump up ISO, the other you have the option to recover under exposure - and both will have low noise - but one will have the ability to recover a greater dynamic range and the other doesn't. It makes me think it might be possible to combine both abilities to make a camera that has low-noise recoverable images and low-noise high ISO ability.

I did find that the Exmor sensor does do some noise reduction processing on-chip. So now the question is: does Canon want to do any noise reduction to it's RAW images as a matter of principal.

Again, I am totally floored by this.

I'd love to put the D800 and the 5DIII next to each other in a head to head, but sadly, I don't own either of them. I still shoot with the 5DII, mainly because what I saw in the raw files of the 5DIII didn't impress me. Those shots were both the "highlight" exposures from HDR brackets. On another board I'm on it would kill me to see guys going from +5 to -5 at half stop intervals for HDRs that ended up looking like snapshots; especially knowing their camera could handle it in one shot. That's where the motorcycle showroom shot came from. I took just the -5 shot and processed it. When they liked the result I told them it was from just one of their exposures. ;) :lol:
The other shot was from an HDR processing challenge over at NAPP.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 04, 2014 21:33 |  #74
bannedPermanent ban

Patbil10 wrote in post #17063663 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

very poor example of "acceptable" DR.

try a Nikon or Sony camera and you will know that everyone is talking about.

Gear List

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,950 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 04, 2014 22:30 |  #75

Shadowblade wrote in post #17063669 (external link)

Drab exposure on the subject too...

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links

17,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
Chances of 5D MkIV have better dynamic range?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.