Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Feb 2006 (Thursday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hasty Decision : 18-50 or newly released 17-70?

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 21, 2006 18:49 |  #46

Ok, so I've been crunching some numbers. It looks like B&H is definitely the company to order from. The pricing is also pretty close:

A)18-50EX and 70-300 APO - $940.97 w/ taxes and shipping
B)17-70 DC and 70-300 APO $829.90 w/ taxes and shipping

17-70
-closer focusing distance and magnification
-more reach, 50-70mm

18-50
-Constant 2.8
-Highly rated Optics
-Better build

This makes it a really tough decision, any further comments/opinions would be much appreciated. I know I'm being a pain in the....

sponsored links
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 21, 2006 18:54 |  #47

Regardless of which option you choose you should receive fine results. Flip a coin, buy the lenses and have fun with them.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 21, 2006 21:07 |  #48

How'd I know that you'd chime in and say something of that sort. :)

Your advice is much appreciated. I'm going to sleep on it and hopefully get a few more responses *hint hint*, and I'll most likely place my order after work tomorrow. I'm stoked to say the least!

Skippy29
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 21, 2006 23:00 as a reply to  @ post 1210504 |  #49

Dorman wrote:
Skippy,

Alright but you'd better chime in here Wednesday, maybe I'll hold off and see what you think of it!

Yeah will do, hopefully you can handle the suspense! : )

I'm betting that it's a great lens, especially for $400. I bought Sigma's 30mm prime 1.4 and LOVE it! I'm telling you, it really holds it own against Canon's $1200 L version that my buddy owns.

"I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs" -iKirst

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 22, 2006 08:58 |  #50

Alright Skippy it's Wednesday morning here in Canada, about 7am for you in California. I'm eagerly awaiting your UPS delivery man.haha

I'd love to have the 30mm prime - that's from Sigma's EX series right? When you let me know about your impressions I'd love to hear how the build quality of the 17-70 stacks up against the EX series.

I've really got to order something, the longer I wait the more lenses I consider!

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 22, 2006 16:57 |  #51

*Ahem* Skippy, it's 2'ish your time... :)

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 22, 2006 22:07 |  #52

Alright, one last bump before I get in trouble with the moderators, any news Skippy?

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 22, 2006 22:42 |  #53

Just reviewed some of my images from a couple weeks ago, I REALLY need to upgrade from my kit lens. A good walkaround lens is definitely my priority over the telephoto range (though I still plan on getting the 70-300 APO). My kit lens shows alot of distortion at the wide end, horizons are curved and such. Hope the Siggy's fare better in this regards.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 23, 2006 07:35 as a reply to  @ Dorman's post |  #54

Dorman wrote:
Just reviewed some of my images from a couple weeks ago, I REALLY need to upgrade from my kit lens. A good walkaround lens is definitely my priority over the telephoto range (though I still plan on getting the 70-300 APO). My kit lens shows alot of distortion at the wide end, horizons are curved and such. Hope the Siggy's fare better in this regards.

So in other words you still haven't ordered anything!;)

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 23, 2006 08:37 |  #55

In2Photos,

You'd be 100% correct, except I've added a third walkaround lens into the fold, I just love to complicate decisions... haha

Skippy29
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 23, 2006 21:11 as a reply to  @ Dorman's post |  #56

Just got my Sigma 17-70 DC macro today. So far it seems like a really nice lens, much more substantial than the EF-S kit lens for sure. Auto focus is very fast and spot on from what I can tell after only a couple of pics.

Here are a couple samples, straight from camera, just resized. (I only had time for a few tonight, but I'll post more later on if anyone wants em)

Wide open 17mm @ 2.8

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

70mm @ 4.5

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Another 70mm @ 4.5 (It nailed the focus spot on the first try here, which was nice)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And finally a self portrait from my G1..

IMAGE NOT FOUND

"I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs" -iKirst

Dorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 23, 2006 21:30 |  #57

Thanks for the shots Skippy, looks like you got a good one!

tamu2002
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2006 10:43 as a reply to  @ Dorman's post |  #58

Does anyone know it the new sigma 17-70 has full time manual control? Thanks.

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 10, 2006 10:44 as a reply to  @ tamu2002's post |  #59

tamu2002 wrote:
Does anyone know it the new sigma 17-70 has full time manual control? Thanks.

No, it does not. But it's still a fine little lens.

tamu2002
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2006 14:15 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #60

That's too bad. Does this mean I must soly reply on the auto focus? I've never used an auto focus SLR (own an ancient Minolta manual). Could anyone explain how to manually focus a Canon 20D or Rebel XT? Thanks!

sponsored links

20,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hasty Decision : 18-50 or newly released 17-70?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.