Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 24 Jul 2014 (Thursday) 20:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting the NFL question.

klamont9
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 24, 2014 20:05 |  #1

Is there usually a limit to how large a zoom a fan can bring to an NFL game? I was just given four 50 yd line (6th row) tix to a preseason game on Aug 8th and would love to get some good shots. And I don't want to be turned around at the gate as we will be arriving very close to kickoff.

Or do most teams have their own set of rules and I should just call to find out?

Canon T3i | Canon 10-22 | 50 f/1.4 EF | 17-40L | 24-105L | Tamron 150-600 (back ordered)

sponsored links
mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 24, 2014 20:41 |  #2

klamont9 wrote in post #17054215 (external link)
Is there usually a limit to how large a zoom a fan can bring to an NFL game? I was just given four 50 yd line (6th row) tix to a preseason game on Aug 8th and would love to get some good shots. And I don't want to be turned around at the gate as we will be arriving very close to kickoff.

Or do most teams have their own set of rules and I should just call to find out?

The venue usually identifies the limits of fan photography equipment on their website.

What stadium will you be at?

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 24, 2014 21:02 |  #3

The NFL has some of the strictest security and camera policies. To be honest, you're best off leaving the camera at home, enjoying the game with your family/friends, and not having to deal with the hassle or worry of getting your camera through security.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

DoubleL
127 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 25, 2014 08:40 |  #4

Staszek wrote in post #17054321 (external link)
The NFL has some of the strictest security and camera policies. To be honest, you're best off leaving the camera at home, enjoying the game with your family/friends, and not having to deal with the hassle or worry of getting your camera through security.

I've had no problem at Met-Life taking a crop and ID's and the 70-300. This is there policy ...

"Still-photography cameras with a lens that is 6" or less in length not contained in a case"

http://www.metlifestad​ium.com/guest-services/guest-policies (external link)

Sample shot ...

IMAGE: http://lloydlutzphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v109/p1899386033-5.jpg

Lloyd
Website (external link)

klamont9
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 25, 2014 11:40 |  #5

I will be going to Gophers' TCF Stadium (where the Vikings will be playing the next 2 seasons while the new stadium is built). So it's a college stadium, but I'm guessing the NFL rules apply during their game.

And after some digging it does look like 6 inches is the maximum one can go and you cannot bring a camera bag.

*Great shot DoubleL

Canon T3i | Canon 10-22 | 50 f/1.4 EF | 17-40L | 24-105L | Tamron 150-600 (back ordered)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2014 23:56 |  #6

For some preseason games they are a little bit more lax. Also if you have a longer lens, see if you can also rent the 2x extender. Since it won't be on the lens itself

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 26, 2014 01:11 |  #7

Staszek wrote in post #17054321 (external link)

I respectfully disagree. I enjoy taking photos at games. If I didn't have a camera with me, I wouldn't have as much fun.

I've been to a few Braves games this year. I believe their policy is that lenses have to be 6" or less. I get around that by taking my sx50 with me. It is a wonderful little camera for a sporting event (even with its weaknesses). It's strengths are the great zoom and the ability to shoot 10FPS in JPEG.

Three examples:

1. Taken from the top row of the upper level:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i512.photobucke​t.com …12014-211_zps81d0c97d.jpg (external link)

2. Still the upper level, but I think I had moved a little farther down for this shot:

http://i512.photobucke​t.com …12014-252_zpseaebf166.jpg (external link)

3. And finally, this shot was from the lower level. I'm including it because I want to brag a little. After taking the shot, I also got the foul ball! So yes, I enjoyed the game, got a foul ball, AND have a photo of the ball leaving the bat!

http://i512.photobucke​t.com …42014-191_zps0d957c86.jpg (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 26, 2014 04:24 |  #8

sandwedge wrote in post #17056788 (external link)
I respectfully disagree. I enjoy taking photos at games. If I didn't have a camera with me, I wouldn't have as much fun.

I agree, I have more fun when I bring my camera to a game as well... and when I'm paid to be there. However, when I'm paying for a seat, I'd rather watch, eat, drink, and cheer with my friends.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8497/8311993651_82818e668b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dEv9​8n  (external link)
20121223_Dallas Cowboys_vs_New Orleans Saints-156 (external link) by Stan Olszewski (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8313043690_ffbc64cee4_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dEAw​gu  (external link)
20121223_Dallas Cowboys_vs_New Orleans Saints-358 (external link) by Stan Olszewski (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8347/8286128927_799f6c28c5_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dCdz​rR  (external link)
20121216_Dallas Cowboys_vs_Pittsburgh Steelers-534 (external link) by Stan Olszewski (external link), on Flickr

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 26, 2014 22:37 |  #9

Staszek wrote in post #17056900 (external link)
I agree, I have more fun when I bring my camera to a game as well... and when I'm paid to be there. However, when I'm paying for a seat, I'd rather watch, eat, drink, and cheer with my friends.

And that's just where we're different. You have more fun sitting and cheering with your friends. I have more fun doing that AND taking photos at the same time.

I agree that I would have a blast shooting a game on the sidelines, with professional equipment, and would definitely enjoy getting paid to do it! I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon (unless you want to put in a good word for me somewhere :D ).

I've been in this discussion in this forum before. I pretty much already knew that you were a professional, since they are the ones that are usually saying, "Leave your camera at home and just enjoy the game." Now, I can't judge your motivation in saying this. It is entirely possible that you personally are just interested in the happiness of a fellow POTN member. However, in the past, I've gotten the idea from other professionals that they simply want a monopoly on images of professional games. Well, we both know that my images with the sx50 from the top row are sub-par to your images. I know that going in to the ball park. I'm not trying to sell my images to Sports Illustrated. I'm making memories. I'm also, in my opinion, displaying some pretty good talent as a photographer. That makes me happy too!

Now, back to the "Leave your camera at home" discussion. Can you imagine Moose Peterson saying to me, "When you go to Yellowstone, you should just leave your camera at home and enjoy the scenery."

One more Memory -- 1992 NLCS, Sid Bream and "The Slide" For those that don't know it, google it. I believe it is still ranked as one of the top 5 plays in MLB history. There's a young guy sitting in the left field upper deck, with a cheap nikon and an even cheaper no-name 70-200. It is film days, and he's down to his last few shots. He watches the play through his viewfinder. He takes the photo at somewhere around 1 FPS. No chimping back then! He had to wait until the film got developed the next day. He was obviously me, and this framed photo is my most treasured souvenir of all time. Talk about having fun! That celebration was insane. There are much better photos of the slide. But this is what I saw. This is My Memory.

http://i512.photobucke​t.com …22/BogiePutt/DS​C01615.jpg (external link)

http://i512.photobucke​t.com …22/BogiePutt/DS​C01616.jpg (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 27, 2014 04:26 |  #10

sandwedge wrote in post #17058372 (external link)
And that's just where we're different. You have more fun sitting and cheering with your friends. I have more fun doing that AND taking photos at the same time.

I agree that I would have a blast shooting a game on the sidelines, with professional equipment, and would definitely enjoy getting paid to do it! I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon (unless you want to put in a good word for me somewhere :D ).

I've been in this discussion in this forum before. I pretty much already knew that you were a professional, since they are the ones that are usually saying, "Leave your camera at home and just enjoy the game." Now, I can't judge your motivation in saying this. It is entirely possible that you personally are just interested in the happiness of a fellow POTN member. However, in the past, I've gotten the idea from other professionals that they simply want a monopoly on images of professional games. Well, we both know that my images with the sx50 from the top row are sub-par to your images. I know that going in to the ball park. I'm not trying to sell my images to Sports Illustrated. I'm making memories. I'm also, in my opinion, displaying some pretty good talent as a photographer. That makes me happy too!

Someone having a camera in the stands or on the sideline of a game isn't going to take away from my job that I've earned from experience, hard work, and the skill set of being able to provide desired images (by my editors and clients) consistently and on a deadline.

I simply say leave the camera at home because the NFL has some of the strictest policies against cameras and lenses that it's not worth the worry or hassle of getting it through security. MLB, MLS, and NBA are all much more accommodating to photography and offer being images to be made from your seat.

We also differ because I work full-time as a contracted editorial photographer and as a wedding photographer. On my days off, I just like to take photos of my friends enjoying our time together. I guess the novelty of professional sports has worn off since I've been in the industry for several years.

sandwedge wrote in post #17058372 (external link)
]Now, back to the "Leave your camera at home" discussion. Can you imagine Moose Peterson saying to me, "When you go to Yellowstone, you should just leave your camera at home and enjoy the scenery."

That's a totally different story than paying (or being gifted) tickets to a sporting event, having to worry about security and the rules, and so on.

Either way, enjoy the event the way you want to. I was just sharing my personal experience with you.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 27, 2014 07:52 |  #11

klamont9 wrote in post #17054215 (external link)

They didn't even check my camera bag when I went to a regular season NFL game two years ago !

I was about 50 rows backs on the lowest level and brought a Rebel XSi and 55-250IS and got great pics

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 05, 2014 11:25 |  #12

I've gotten away with a nikon D3s with a 200-400 at a 49er preseason game before, not sure about bringing a setup like that now to the new stadium

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Supersteve911
613 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 06, 2014 09:05 |  #13

I think the NHL is worse than the NFL as far as camera policies. I used to be able to bring my 70-200 to the Metrodome for the Vikes and then in the past two years couldn't.
My rant is about those midrange cameras that kind of look like a DSLR but don't have interchangeable lenses but a super zoom. After I saw those at a concert but I couldn't bring my big camera I went and bought a sony nex. I just bring that to games now and it works, it's not the greatest but it gets the job done. I haven't gotten checked for my lenses with that camera. I just hang the camera with the small lens on my belt and when i get to my seat change to the zoom lens.

5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

3,018 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting the NFL question.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.