Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jul 2014 (Friday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats so special about mirrorless bodies?

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2014 14:55 |  #1

Lately I've seen more and more people going to mirrorless and even getting rid of their Canon/Nikon bodies for mirrorless (Sony, Fuji, Oly, Samsung, Leica, Panasonic, etc.).

I guess I am just confused as to why people would prefer a camera like that where lenses and accessories are extremely limited).

Is there something I am missing, or are these people just bored with Canon/Nikon?

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

sponsored links
sjones
Goldmember
2,233 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 25, 2014 15:03 |  #2

Smaller and lighter I would reckon. Plus, not everyone needs the gamut of lenses currently available to DSLRs. And actually, given that some of these mirrorless bodies (most of these?) can use rangefinder lenses, anyone not needing longer than 135mm has access to an incredible number of lenses.

July 2018-July 2019 (external link)
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,730 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 25, 2014 15:07 |  #3

Smaller, lighter, and with the new Sony cameras a much better sensor and the ability to use Canon lenses.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 25, 2014 15:08 |  #4

Hmm, seems to me like the hipster way of photography. They wanna be original so they buy the Olympus or Panasonic. That's just a first thought though.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,539 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jul 25, 2014 15:08 |  #5

A number of the mirrorless bodies have adapters that allow people to still use their good glass, but on a body that's is a fraction of the size. Sony being the primary path that people are going for that, with the A7 family.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sourcehill
481 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jul 25, 2014 15:13 |  #6

JM Photos wrote in post #17055903 (external link)
Hmm, seems to me like the hipster way of photography. They wanna be original so they buy the Olympus or Panasonic. That's just a first thought though.

I went to Paris with a x100s and it was smaller, lighter, forced me to think about my shots AND the image quality was UNREAL. I can't ever see myself using them for work because they do have limitations but I'll never pick up my DSLR again if I'm just going out.

Calling it a hipster trend is not really understanding how people are using them. The hipster way of photography is Urban Outfitters selling $50 'retro' instant cameras.

Mirrorless is far from a hipster trend. Small cameras can be just as good as your big DSLR =)

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 25, 2014 15:37 |  #7

And, even if they're not as good as your big DSLR, sometimes they don't need to be.

If I'm going out to dinner with friends or walking around when photography is not the main focus of the event, I'll sometimes take my EOS-M instead of a DSLR.

My Gear

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 25, 2014 15:50 |  #8

Its lighter, have better sensors (sony), and discrete.

Sometimes it makes no sense to bring a 1Dx to a birthday party in a crowded restaurant. Its the right tool for the job in certain cases.

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 25, 2014 16:15 |  #9

The body is smaller - most importantly not as thick.
And this allow wider lenses to be made significantly smaller too, since they can be placed closer to the sensor.

But the main reason for the Sony is probably because of the Sony sensor together with Canon lenses.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sjones
Goldmember
2,233 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 25, 2014 16:20 as a reply to  @ panicatnabisco's post |  #10

How is wanting a smaller and lighter camera “hipster”? Be careful about conflating and labeling. Remember, roughly seven billion folks on the planet with varying personal preferences.

A camera, any camera, is a camera as legitimate as any other; after all, the camera does not determine who or how it will be used. And just because a certain group (is hipster really any worse than suburban materialistic automaton) might prefer a particular type of camera does not automatically taint the camera or its capabilities.

July 2018-July 2019 (external link)
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,696 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 25, 2014 16:25 |  #11

Because my Fuji kit weighs less than half my Canon kit (and I've already got the lightest Canon FF DSLR) and performs just as well in good light. Being a "hipster" has literally nothing to do with it. If Canon came out with an EOS M with the same capability as the Fuji system (lenses, settings, EVF, the list goes on) then I'd go with it if it supported the same EF to EF-M adapter support as the current M.

Fuji has a lens for almost any need I can think of and all of them are top performers at very reasonable prices for what they offer. The bodies are catching up quickly to DSLR's (though not quite there yet for some needs) and did I mention they're significantly lighter and smaller? I don't like lugging my DSLR with me everywhere I go, it gets in the way far easier than a mirrorless camera does.

Plus you get the added bonus of being able to use literally any lens ever on it. Using my BavEyes focal reducer I can use my FF lenses in pretty much their full glory, same DOF, same FOV (almost, off by a few mm) and on an awesome AA-less sensor with amazing color rendition (seriously, Fuji's colors are simply better).

I'm not ready to abandon my 6D yet because I still need the low light capability and I have a preference toward an OVF (could be unjust given how much better the X-T1 EVF is said to be) and the DSLR still gives me more room to grow if I need good, fast and reliable AF later down the road (right now I don't).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 25, 2014 16:26 |  #12

Marketing.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,639 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 25, 2014 16:27 |  #13

sjones wrote in post #17056052 (external link)
How is wanting a smaller and lighter camera “hipster”? Be careful about conflating and labeling. Remember, roughly seven billion folks on the planet with varying personal preferences.

A camera, any camera, is a camera as legitimate as any other; after all, the camera does not determine who or how it will be used. And just because a certain group (is hipster really any worse than suburban materialistic automaton) might prefer a particular type of camera does not automatically taint the camera or its capabilities.

But then again, people can have an opinion, and others can ignore said opinion. :) Methinks that person hasn't been keeping up on the mirrorless news and advancements.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,696 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 25, 2014 16:27 |  #14

Tony_Stark wrote in post #17056069 (external link)
Marketing.

Rent an X-T1 or A7, I think you'd change your mind on that one ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 25, 2014 16:36 |  #15

I certainly like the look/feel of the Sony offerings especially as they are full frame and I don't have to buy any new lenses. However the lack of a viewfinder and hopelessly slow AF would mean that they would be of little use to me except for the occasional landscape shot. I guess that I will have to struggle on with my 1 Series lump!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

20,766 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whats so special about mirrorless bodies?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.