Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jul 2014 (Friday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats so special about mirrorless bodies?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 25, 2014 19:24 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Tony_Stark wrote in post #17056107 (external link)
I'm not saying the cameras are not good. But its all marketing to create that need for people to have new systems. I was sucked into the A7 hype, but for my needs the newer system offers too many compromises and will be looking at Nikon instead. Same sensors, but proper glass lineup.

The huge advantage of the Sony is the ability to use just about any lens with it including all my existing Canon mount lenses. That is HUGE and it is something Nikon cannot do.

sponsored links
Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jul 25, 2014 19:25 as a reply to  @ post 17056313 |  #32

Crazy "hipsters" with their newfangled digital cameras. Why wouldn't they want to just stay shooting film like we always did?

Remember those days?

Yeah.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 25, 2014 19:27 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #17056266 (external link)
short flange distance is the biggest advantage for mirrorless. Anyone seen the tilt shift kit for 14-24 + a7r? that's pretty damn ground breaking if the IQ holds up. I cant even describe the shock and awe of such a setup. Shifting @14mm through 24mm..... that's turning my world upside down.

Exactly...can't wait for the reviews.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 25, 2014 21:48 |  #34

Hogloff wrote in post #17056323 (external link)
The huge advantage of the Sony is the ability to use just about any lens with it including all my existing Canon mount lenses. That is HUGE and it is something Nikon cannot do.

I could buy an adapter. You're just not getting the focus peaking. AF is a non issues since its so slow and damn useless. So the only reason the Sony system is so good with adapters is focus peaking. Thats it.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,242 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 25, 2014 23:25 |  #35

Tony_Stark wrote in post #17056565 (external link)
I could buy an adapter. You're just not getting the focus peaking. AF is a non issues since its so slow and damn useless. So the only reason the Sony system is so good with adapters is focus peaking. Thats it.

Not sure I'm following. All lenses have focus peaking. The ones with AF need it turned off, then it gets enabled.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,344 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 26, 2014 00:30 |  #36

heres a thought - would mirrorless cameras get less dust on their sensors because they don't have a mirror flapping the air all around?

Or would they get more dust because they have less protection over the sensor than conventional mirror & shutter arrangements?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 26, 2014 06:58 |  #37

The flange distance on the Nikon doesn't nearly allow the versatility that the Sony has. When it comes to Canon glass, EF lenses have a shorter flange distance than Nikon does, which means that they're not usable on Nikon bodies with simple, glassless adapters.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 26, 2014 07:12 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

I use my A7R predominantly as a landscape camera and in that it really excels. Focus is manual via live view. I use all my existing Canon lenses...which I could not with a Nikon. That is why I never bought the D800...I'd have to purchase a whole new set of lenses for the D800, which makes it extremely expensive.

The compactness of the A7R is another bonus as much of my landscape work involves trekking to locations.

I've used the A7R for some street photography and the manual focus with the peaking makes it a breeze. I've used it with my set of nice Zuiko lenses and it sure makes the system a very nice light compact outfit.

Dannydoo
354 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 26, 2014 08:05 |  #39

will using lens adapter slow down AF and Aperture?
is shutter click as responsive as lets say, entry level DSLR?
I might consider going to mirorless in the near future.

Daniel
6D
17-40L | 50mm f/1.4 | 24-70L | 135L | Tamron 70-300mm VC

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 26, 2014 08:37 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

This sort of reminds me of the debate between full-size (5") and the smaller offerings in SA .45 ACP. Some people just prefer one option over the other. Choose your weapon; deploy it to the best of your abilities. I happen to like full-size SLRs and handguns. Although I do own pocket versions of each. They are appropriate at times.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 26, 2014 09:03 |  #41

Dannydoo wrote in post #17057109 (external link)
will using lens adapter slow down AF and Aperture?
is shutter click as responsive as lets say, entry level DSLR?
I might consider going to mirorless in the near future.

I haven't heard of a case where the AF wasn't slower than on a native mount - if you need fast AF, you're not going to be happy with adapted mirrorless, at this point.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 26, 2014 09:07 |  #42

Hogloff wrote in post #17057060 (external link)
I use my A7R predominantly as a landscape camera and in that it really excels. Focus is manual via live view. I use all my existing Canon lenses...which I could not with a Nikon. That is why I never bought the D800...I'd have to purchase a whole new set of lenses for the D800, which makes it extremely expensive.

The compactness of the A7R is another bonus as much of my landscape work involves trekking to locations.

I've used the A7R for some street photography and the manual focus with the peaking makes it a breeze. I've used it with my set of nice Zuiko lenses and it sure makes the system a very nice light compact outfit.

May sound like I'm trashing the Sonys but I'm not. I really like what they are doing and makes a lot of sense. For landscapes, absolutely I would take a A7R myself + unlimited lens choices.

I've applied my own personal needs and the Sony system isn't that attractive for what I do now. I will definitely buy a mirrorless FF camera one day however.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

xyzzy-in-NC
44 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jul 26, 2014 09:15 |  #43

One other thing, Canon isn't making APS-C primes. I have the 23 and 56mm Fuji's and they are excellent low-light lenses at half the size and cost of the Canon equivalents. If you're shooting people, they are much less self-conscious if you're using a camera that size so you get better photos. I still use my 5D w/ 70-200 for sports and it's great for people as well, but the CSC mirrorless is going to be taking a huge chunk out of Canon's APS-C market share. At the very least, it will bring prices down a bit and spur some innovation.

Canon 5D Mk iii | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS II | 50mm f/1.4 | 135mm f/2 | Fuji X-T1

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 26, 2014 09:21 |  #44

The hipsters like them because the smaller size won't mess up their manicured beards and makes more room on a café table for lattes and cupcakes! They are also small enough to hide in that stupid looking hat, if they ever take it off in JULY.

But really, I know a working landscape pro I shoot with a couple times a year who only carries a Fuji mirrorless now after being in the business for over 30 years lugging a Nikon kit around. Every time I see him he says "You wait and see! Mirrorless will be taking over DSLRs" Hi stuff does look awesome!

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 26, 2014 09:39 |  #45

I use a mirrorless system along with my dslr. I would have 2 or more bodies either way, so having a m4/3rds system makes sense for me. It's a bit more outlay to run 2 systems but for travel the pros of the lighter, smaller system far outweighs the cons for me.

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

sponsored links

20,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whats so special about mirrorless bodies?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.