Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jul 2014 (Friday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats so special about mirrorless bodies?

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 26, 2014 14:36 |  #61
bannedPermanent ban

like everyone else already said. lighter, smaller, better then majority of DSLR, often better image quality then the best that Canon crop DSLRs can offer.

Some mirrorless have even better image quality then the best Canon can offer.

No more neck, back, shoulder pains after lugging DSLRs around.

Gear List

sponsored links
nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 26, 2014 14:38 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

maverick75 wrote in post #17057487 (external link)
Canon makes a 22mm that is brilliant, just as good as the 23mm 2.0 that is in the x100.

Not as nice as the 23mm 1.4, it has a bit more distortion and it's slower but the Canon is a $100 kit lens.

If they made it into a EF-S mount it would easily sell for $400-500 and be a huge hit, but then it would be 4 times as big and it probably wouldn't be nearly as good. That's another benefit with mirrorless bodies, lenses can be made better.

It's a one huge reason why the Leica M line has always been superior to the Canon/Nikon SLR offerings.

100% agree there, to bad that camera you attach that lens to is far far away from brilliant.

Gear List

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,828 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 26, 2014 14:51 |  #63

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17057719 (external link)
100% agree there, to bad that camera you attach that lens to is far far away from brilliant.

I think it's brilliant as a pocket camera (which is what I use it for). I think (and hope) they come out with 2 bodies when they replace it, one that's similar to the current one and one more like a OM-D or X-E1(2), then I'd be very interested in that system again :cool:

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 26, 2014 14:55 |  #64

It's still a great camera, no DSLR replacement but halfways there.

Somethings like sports completely destroy it, anything over 135mm and it's hilarious to use. I've done it just to find out haha.

Lovely image though, just a nice as any other Canon crop body.

The #1 thing love about it is how freaking tiny it is, here's a picture for scale:

IMAGE: https://38.media.tumblr.com/3126f9be9b5fb0abcc0c7ba36233a9a6/tumblr_n9c4e9Dwhg1qkqfo6o1_500.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://alexcorona.tumb​lr.com/image/929435165​97  (external link)

small cameras are my favorite as you can tell!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,828 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 26, 2014 14:58 |  #65

maverick75 wrote in post #17057749 (external link)
It's still a great camera, no DSLR replacement but halfways there.

Somethings like sports completely destroy it, anything over 135mm and it's hilarious to use. I've done it just to find out haha.

Lovely image though, just a nice as any other Canon crop body.

The #1 thing Ilove about it is how freaking tiny it is, here's a picture for scale:
QUOTED IMAGE

small cameras are my favorite as you can tell!

Exactly. It's size makes it a pleasure to take literally anywhere. I've gotten shots at theme parks I wouldn't normally get, candids of my GF at diners/resteraunts where I'd feel awkward with a DSLR, and even a wedding for my girlfriend's friend where I didn't want to be obtrusive with a DSLR, in fact, she used the shots I got on her facebook header for a long time afterward :)

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jul 26, 2014 15:08 |  #66

It fit's in my jean's pocket comfortably with the 35mm 2.8 XA lens, I live in southern California so no jacket pockets for us way too hot (even at night) to wear one.

Just wish the 22mm 2.0 was a bit thinner, even 1/4 and it could be a pant's pocket cam!

I can get it to barely fit in right now but it's not comfortable at all with the 22mm.
With the 35mm I barely realize it's there.

I still want a smaller camera haha, cant wait till full frames are this small!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,521 posts
Gallery: 692 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 26, 2014 15:25 |  #67

I tried once a Fuji X-Pro1. It was nice, but i prefer my DSRL. But it's interesting that these cameras tend to attract those kind of people that like to wear a scarf even when it's hot. :D

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Blue Jimny Madeira (external link)

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 26, 2014 17:09 |  #68

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17056156 (external link)
This I can agree with, it's not a solution for every shooter, but the gap is definitely closing. For a portrait, event or even wedding shooter though, mirrorless is a very attractive option. My father has been shooting professionally for 30+ years (mostly food, advertising, portraiture and store events like grand openings and anniversaries) and he's very interested in my Fuji system, last I talked to him he and his wife said they were for sure going to look into a mirrorless option.

Here I don't fully agree with you. About a week ago, I was at a friends wedding and he hired a female photographer who was using a 5DIII all day long. In church she could have possibly gotten away with a mirrorless camera, but not during the evening party where people were dancing in about candle light. She then placed a flash on top of her 5DIII and used the ceiling to bounce the flash (all this was done with the flash in E-TTL mode). Now, the only 2 brands I know of which have good TTL flashes are Nikon and Canon.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 26, 2014 17:28 |  #69

jocau wrote in post #17057926 (external link)
Here I don't fully agree with you. About a week ago, I was at a friends wedding and he hired a female photographer who was using a 5DIII all day long. In church she could have possibly gotten away with a mirrorless camera, but not during the evening party where people were dancing in about candle light. She then placed a flash on top of her 5DIII and used the ceiling to bounce the flash (all this was done with the flash in E-TTL mode). Now, the only 2 brands I know of which have good TTL flashes are Nikon and Canon.

But that isn't inherrently a difference between mirrorless and DSLR.
Just as extra dynamic range doesn't represent a difference between mirrorless and DSLR.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 26, 2014 17:43 |  #70

pwm2 wrote in post #17057950 (external link)
But that isn't inherrently a difference between mirrorless and DSLR.
Just as extra dynamic range doesn't represent a difference between mirrorless and DSLR.

I know, but that's how the situation is right now. If you need TTL, you have to stick with Canon or Nikon (maybe Sony also?).

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,744 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 26, 2014 17:57 as a reply to  @ jocau's post |  #71

What is special about mirrorless is the way they expose the inadequacies of the human race. ie how many people feel the need to identify as cool because they either won't buy one of these trendy devices or label anyone who buys one a hipster warm weather scarf wearer.

Even more stupid is it's not anyone who buys one. It's anyone seen using one. No possibility they might have borrowed it or accepted it as gift.

Dave
Image editing OK

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,828 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 26, 2014 18:18 |  #72

jocau wrote in post #17057926 (external link)

I know of numerous wedding photogs who've abandoned their entire FF Canon or Nikon kit to go with Fuji offerings. TTL is a luxury many photographers choose not to use (myself included). I've been in the exact situation you brought up and used manual flash... no issues. If the lighting is constant (it pretty much always is in a wedding) then there's pretty much no reason to use TTL.

http://www.kevinmullin​sphotography.co.uk/fuj​i/ (external link)
http://www.colinnichol​lsphotography.com …lm-x-cameras-xe1-weddings (external link)
http://www.albionrow.c​om/for-togs/fuji-x-cameras/ (external link)

If their next line of sensors which are rumored to come this year give ISO100 (or lower) and ISO12800 (or higher) at the RAW level, I just might make the full switch.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 26, 2014 18:34 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17057651 (external link)
I'm waiting for the X100 to hit that $400 mark used... I'd love to have that OVF option on my daily camera (right now I use my EOS M). Hopefully the rumored X100 24mp replacement will drive that used price down a bit more :cool:

I've seen some go for $450. For a $50 difference, I'd pick one up right now.

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jul 26, 2014 20:26 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #74

JeffreyG wrote in post #17056129 (external link)
My own opinion on these offerings has gone around a bit, and I'm not sure where they will end up eventually.

Background - I think in the last decade a lot of people essentially wound up with dSLRs for their 'family camera' because the limitations of digital P&S (shutter lag, slow lenses, poor high ISO, slow to focus, large DOF) were problems. So I would see a bunch of 'soccer moms' (if you will excuse the term) using dSLRs not because they love the form factor, but because they wanted the performance.

When the EVIL cameras started coming out, I thought these would take that market over. To my view, they have not. Here is why:
2) Less capable - most EVIL cameras are not as good at dSLRs for sports or theater etc. These are the exact things that drove casual family shooters to dSLRs in the first place.

3) If you shoot multiple genre's, and especially if you shoot sports, wildlife, action etc you are back to needing a dSLR too. It's the same problem the family shooter has.

This was the big reason I got into a Canon DSLR, point and shoots weren't cutting it and I have kids. Now I have a young one in sports, horseback riding, and who does dance and theater. I can do decently well with my crop body 70D and my wifes T5i in those multiple situations. When I compared them to mirrorless options at the time I kept hitting a compromise that at the time I was not willing to hit due to the financial aspects (cost savings just wasn't there for what I wanted vs a DSLR kit).

I still look at mirrorless options regularly and I do think that as it matures that it will start unseating DSLR one segment at a time, but for the capabilities I was willing to compromise the size/weight as a casual shooter.

But again this is just my opinion as well :) But I do see how for many instances or people mirrorless would be extremely attractive.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,828 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 27, 2014 02:37 |  #75

Hogloff wrote in post #17058051 (external link)
I've seen some go for $450. For a $50 difference, I'd pick one up right now.

I've never seen one quite that low, but I'll keep on the lookout. For now though, the M works just fine ;)

sponsored links

22,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whats so special about mirrorless bodies?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.