I've been thinking for quite awhile about building a small barn-door tracker to improve my Milky Way shots. I got it built a couple days ago, and was able to get just a couple shots in last night. We had gone on a night float, and I had two other people with me who didn't want to spend much time out at 2:00 in the morning! I set up an extremely rough orientation with the North Star (as in, I couldn't even find it and took a wild guess) and fired away.
Here is the first shot I got.
Canon 5d, Samyang 14 2.8 @ 2.8, ISO 800, 191 seconds.
And a 100% crop.
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ocCk5Q 20140727-022401-IMG_4452-2 by David Rabenberg Photography, on Flickr
For comparison's sake, here is a 100% crop from a few weeks ago without the tracker. ISO 3200, f2.8, 30 seconds. All of the photos have the same amount of noise reduction added (20 luminance, 15 color in LR5). I know I could push them a little further to reduce noise, but wanted to keep the NR minimal for this example.
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/otRcyB 20140704-004847-IMG_2315 by David Rabenberg Photography, on Flickr
HUGE difference in the amount of noise in the image, and almost no star trailing at over 3 minutes! Consider me happy!
Here's a look at the setup (more details in next post)
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ocCuv2 20140727-093949-IMG_3892 by David Rabenberg Photography, on Flickr