Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jul 2014 (Tuesday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What Makes a Good Black & White Image?

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 31, 2014 11:33 |  #31

MDJAK wrote in post #17068178 (external link)
Amazing pics and very informative and well thought answers to my poorly phrased question.

Few years back I attended an exhibit of Ansel Adams work in Vegas. I know what I good BW looks like. What I should've asked is how you do it which many above have explained. Thank you.
Mark

Turn saturation way down in Capture One if I'm lazy or open color photo in Photoshop and run Silver Efex 2 if I'm feeling clever. Of course the subject has to support the idea of being in B&W, if you saw your subject in B&W before pressing the shutter, then it'll start looking good from cmd + shift + U.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,574 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2014 17:52 |  #32

MDJAK wrote in post #17068178 (external link)
Amazing pics and very informative and well thought answers to my poorly phrased question.

Few years back I attended an exhibit of Ansel Adams work in Vegas. I know what I good BW looks like. What I should've asked is how you do it which many above have explained. Thank you.
Mark

I shoot all of my B&W now with a digital only B&W camera...

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 31, 2014 18:11 as a reply to  @ Kolor-Pikker's post |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

From today. A green lawn with plenty of dark shadowy trees. I up the green slider to increase the green brightness. Did the same with the yellow channel. Of course, since my bike is black and yellow, you begin to see some highlight clipping on the bike. The bike is small enough for me not to care about the clipping. Lower the brightness of the blue and cyan channels to darkened the trees in the background. The sky is 80% overcast and the tonal brightness didn't change.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3875/14611000038_6d7c8dc615_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/og8c​gL  (external link) DSC_9873 (external link) by vracing (external link), on Flickr

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 31, 2014 18:43 |  #34

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17069016 (external link)
I shoot all of my B&W now with a digital only B&W camera...

So I guess you now use a set of "real" colour filters when you shoot, just like shooting film?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,574 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 31, 2014 18:49 |  #35

BigAl007 wrote in post #17069120 (external link)
So I guess you now use a set of "real" colour filters when you shoot, just like shooting film?

Alan

Yes I do.....:D:D

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 01, 2014 08:00 |  #36

I too would really like a true monochrome digital camera, but unfortunatly a rangefinder is not really suitable for the subjects that I mostly shoot. Not to mention the lack of a really long telephoto lens. Something in the 400mm plus range.

Alan

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 01, 2014 08:13 |  #37

BigAl007 wrote in post #17069927 (external link)
I too would really like a true monochrome digital camera, but unfortunatly a rangefinder is not really suitable for the subjects that I mostly shoot. Not to mention the lack of a really long telephoto lens. Something in the 400mm plus range.

Alan

Any 36MP camera should in theory be every bit a sharp as the 18mp MM if you sample the final image down... get a Nikon D810 and it should suffice, if you don't have something similar already.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

airfrogusmc
36,574 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 01, 2014 11:40 |  #38

The MM 18MP camera, when talking sharpness is often compared to the D800 (36MP).

If you shoot with long lenses a lot then a rangefinder is not a good option.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,021 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 01, 2014 14:33 |  #39

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #17069950 (external link)
Any 36MP camera should in theory be every bit a sharp as the 18mp MM if you sample the final image down... get a Nikon D810 and it should suffice, if you don't have something similar already.

Almost any FF camera is out of my reach currently thanks to my disablity (not that I'm compaining, others a lot worse off than me in the world). Let alone a brand new one. I just got back from picking myself up a slightly early 50th birthady pressie. Got a really nice secondhand 50D from WEX. Really clean, 12K clicks, 12 months warranty £267. Can't wait to try it out this weekend, should make a nice upgrade from my 20D. At least I can use my existing batteries and grip in this camera.

I'm sure that I'll get some really nice monochrome conversions out of it, just like I do/did from my old cameras. Just sometimes it would be nice to just shoot it like I used to with film. I suppose I could probably find a nice EOS 30 or 33 for a spot of film shooting and just use FP4 or HP5 like I did when I first started shooting with an SLR. Would sure beat my dad's old Pracktica Nova B with Mayer 50 f/2.8.

Alan

Lamplight
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Aug 03, 2014 18:01 |  #40

When I want to shoot a black & white image, I try to see more in texture and shapes, whereas when shooting color my first instinct is to look for...well...color. I often take photos in black & white that would have looked better in color, but some images just work better without color. I usually do less post processing to my black & white photos than those in color. Usually a slight sharpening and tweaking the contrast a little. But I've found, for me at least, the post processing matters far less than the subject and composition.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …copysmall_zpsaa​13be00.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …opy2small_zpsdd​68f740.jpg (external link)

http://img.photobucket​.com …/DSCF7632_zps95​168371.jpg (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,904 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 04, 2014 22:09 |  #41

the tonal range of a b&w image is from black to white all the grays in-between.

so it's the contrast that makes or breaks a b&w image.

I would turn your image in to something like this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 04, 2014 22:36 as a reply to  @ Mark0159's post |  #42

Here is an example that I like in both color and B&W, but worked differently. It's an old transparency shot from about 30 years ago, editing in LR.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 04, 2014 23:59 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #43

When I was working for the photographic unit of a large industrial plant I'd spend a lot of time in the B/W darkroom. We had four fulltime photographers and we'd average between 9 and 12 thousand hand printed B/W photos a year, from postcard size to 60x 40 inches. We used to order in 40 inch wide rolls of Ilfospeed paper. We'd also print on fibre based paper for exhibitions etc. Printed off 4x5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x4.5 and 35mm. Tri-X, Ilford FP4 and Ilford PanF were our main B/W emulsions.

I had a good boss who was a brilliant photographer and printer, who became my mentor. "Clean whites, blacks with shadow detail and a full rang of tones" was his catch cry.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

airfrogusmc
36,574 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 06, 2014 10:13 |  #44

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc021/L1024786_zps958f3aed.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc021/L1024768_zpsd3b925af.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc021/L10247382_zps4d298693.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc021/L1025872_zps7f89667c.jpg

sponsored links

6,243 views & 2 likes for this thread
What Makes a Good Black & White Image?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.