Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 06 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weird BABY posing Question??????

Vmann
148 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 06, 2014 13:24 |  #1

Alright we all have seen the baby looking straight the camera asleep with arms tucked under chin, right, alright know the question. How do you do this... maybe cause I'm a guy and find it weird to make a baby post like they aren't meant to, but PLEASE help. The pose is super cute but I feel weird posing a baby like this.

Also do you do it or make parents?

tried it with a 3 week old over the weekend and both the parents and I found it weird trying to get it. So we just went to laying her down baskets etc.

Please any help would be great.

Always be open to opinion especially if it's mine!

sponsored links
zyndurai
805 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 06, 2014 14:23 |  #2

I would suggest you search on youtube. There's a lot of posing techniques that other photographers teach there for posing babies. Just keep in mind some of the harder poses are actually composite photos. It's tough posing newborns and you really have to be careful.

My flickr (external link)

Vmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 07, 2014 12:27 as a reply to  @ zyndurai's post |  #3

I've watched a few and yes they are helpful but sometimes I wonder how many babies really cooperate on the whole holding head up. Also do you pose the baby, have parents or both do it. Again Its awkward being someone else's most precious thing to say sit down let me move this living clay around into position, haha

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,446 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 07, 2014 12:34 |  #4

I know this sounds weird but you shouldn't try it until you know how to do it. I jumped all over a local photographer in my area when she posted her BTS shots of her doing that same pose with a newborn and literally trying to pose the baby like that without support. You can easily injury a newborn quite seriously if you do some of those poses incorrectly. Newborns aren't strong enough to hold a pose, and their neck muscles aren't strong enough to support their head yet. It could end very badly if it's not done correctly.

In my opinion the only way to be able to do that pose safely (THAT'S the key) is to composite the photo. Like zyndurai said, check youtube, you can find videos showing what shots you'll need in order to get the composite right. Then practice. Practice on a stuffed animal, or a doll. Practice setting up the shots, taking the shots, and making the composite afterwards. Once you're confident that you can do it successfuly, and SAFELY, then do it with a newborn. This is one reason I refuse to photograph newborns. It's risky, and the poses that some parents want (thanks to sites like Pintrest) can be flat out dangerous if tried to done with one shot.

I'm telling you, I lit up that photographer that did it here. She was one of those who "saw it on Pintrest" and tried to do it without knowing and understanding how to do it.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,446 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 07, 2014 12:38 |  #5

Vmann wrote in post #17082198 (external link)
I've watched a few and yes they are helpful but sometimes I wonder how many babies really cooperate on the whole holding head up. Also do you pose the baby, have parents or both do it. Again Its awkward being someone else's most precious thing to say sit down let me move this living clay around into position, haha

I would suggest you have the parents, or a competent assisant, help pose the baby. You direct. You can probably pose the baby for the easier poses, like laying down wrapped up and stuff. But the harder one you'll probably need the parents help. Sometimes you'll use the parents as props to keep the baby calm. I've seen that done sucessfully by good newborn photographers in my area. You need a beanbag to lay the baby on? Use dad laying on his back and cover him with the blanket. This way the baby feels and smells his parent and is calmed. It's also anoother layer of safety just in case baby rolls dad can wrap his arms around the baby.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

zyndurai
805 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 08, 2014 13:40 |  #6

^^ Very good points. A simple search resulted on a blog with behind the scenes and safety:

http://www.babysafepho​tography.com (external link)

so many out there, but definitely learn before you try. SAFETY always come first when it comes to babies and if you are unsure about something, rather not try it.

My flickr (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,980 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2014 14:06 |  #7

You need to have an assistant or a parent hold the head up and then make a composite with another shot. Teeny babies cannot hold their heads up on their hands.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,980 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2014 14:10 |  #8

Moved from photo sharing to talk section. I had the dad leaning over my couch (which served as a backdrop) holding the head up with 2 fingers, then I cloned them out. Many babies hate having their hands on their face so it doesn't work for all of them. I think I get about 15% of them to tolerate this position and as you can see, this little guy's hands were on the move :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Vmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 13, 2014 13:53 |  #9

Thanks everyone and found a few blogs that showed really good write ups on this. Its just weird missing with a baby like this verse adults. I've decided to just make it a practice to have parents hold head and I'll direct them. That way I can focus on the image. Also found another blog showcasing arms folded to and a more natural posed I like from the CREATIVE LEARNING series.

THanks,

jilliantodd1
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Oct 27, 2014 05:11 as a reply to  @ Vmann's post |  #10

I love photographing newborn babies and special moments with their mother.Capturing those first special moments of baby can be great treasure forever. A helper can make all the difference so that you can focus on capturing the best moments.

Maternity Photography Sacramento (external link)|Glamour Photography Sacramento (external link)

Bobct1
78 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 02, 2014 23:01 |  #11

Having 3 kids of my own, I've got to say that they were all very different. The point that I am trying to make is that what works for one, might not work for another. I heard that somewhere between 10-14 days old is the ideal age. Make sure they are well fed... they'll be almost comatose and you'll have an easier time posing them. I have also found that a heating pad under the blanket helps as well.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,666 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 03, 2014 08:11 |  #12

I took these a while ago so dont judge, but something like this is easy.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8292/7511670828_3f9b30aab9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …/56709879@N07/7​511670828/  (external link)
IMG_8743 - FB (external link) by shanereighard (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7511683378_19a70f8878_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …/56709879@N07/7​511683378/  (external link)
IMG_8743 - No PS (external link) by shanereighard (external link), on Flickr

Shane
flickr (external link)

lookingforaname
820 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 04, 2014 14:48 |  #13

It's not my thing at all either - I feel like a more authentic type of photo that doesn't rely on death defying poses, but captures babies as they actually are, are more my style of photography and basic philosophy of life.

June Day Photography - Junedayphoto.com (external link)

douglala
39 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 31, 2015 17:44 |  #14

After doing my first newborn shoot I realized it was not as easy as it seems. A lot of the shots are edited like the example above. Or two different shots merged in post production.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,841 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by mpix345.

Feb 04, 2015 13:22 |  #15

lookingforaname wrote in post #17311843 (external link)
It's not my thing at all either - I feel like a more authentic type of photo that doesn't rely on death defying poses, but captures babies as they actually are, are more my style of photography and basic philosophy of life.

I'm with you 100%. Babies are cute enough; no need to manipulate them.

As for Anne Geddes --  :p

sponsored links

8,562 views & 2 likes for this thread
Weird BABY posing Question??????
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.