Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2014 17:32 |  #1

Lots of people have been speculating on the 7D. Some have pointed to repeated failures of Canon Rumors to get it right as their reason for thinking a 7D replacement isn't coming. Others have suggested that Canon has given up in the sensor game. Still others claim that APS-C is dead. I'm here to tell you that you're all wrong. I've been involved in countless threads arguing many points about this and I figured instead I would make a single post of what I suspect is going to happen, when, why, and then we can just come back later and see if I'm right. I've done some serious research on Canon Rumors and from what I can tell, they have some darned good information and are pretty good at tagging just how reliable each post is. So first I'll say what I think on the 7D replacement. Then I'll spell out what I discovered in researching Canon rumors. Here we
go!

So the 7D replacement will be announced somewhere between August 20 and September 10. The NDA will expire then. Canon can make their press release whenever they want but the NDA keeps people from talking about it before they make their release. So the NDA expiration date is the latest they will make their announcement.

An NDA is there to keep people from leaking information about the camera. Needless to say, if there is no camera, there's nothing to sign an NDA for. This has been reported as a fact and not a rumor. Also reported as fact was that Canon was sending 7D replacements to Brazil for the world cup and that they wanted to announce in August. Also mentioned was that the delay until August was for a reason.

So the camera exists. And it will be announced soon. Now here's what I think it will be:

10+ fps on a brand new sensor design at 24MP with much greater ISO and IQ bringing it up to almost full frame capability. THe same tech can be used in full frame to push them up higher as well. It will set a new bar in APS-C IQ.

The camera will be aimed squarely at sports and wildlife. The 7D is already mostly used that way and that's a unique market that they can expand on. This is an area where Canon shines already. And I'm sure they are thinking that more hobbyists are shooting sports and wildlife because those are things their friends with their phones, rebels, and nikons can't do nearly as well. It's a differentiator.

As such it will have an integrated grip. This allows a bigger battery which will allow certain L lenses to AF even faster just like the 1DX does now compared to the 5D3.

No WIFI. An all metal body like the 1D would create wifi problems. This may actually have been part of the delay.
GPS maybe GPS is great for wildlife so you can easily keep track of where you were but I don't know how that metal body will work with it.
dual card slots - definitely
new AF system - a variation of what will be on the next 1D and not the current 1D or 5D system. Possibly live Servo phase detection using Dual pixel CMOS to keep tracking while the shutter is open during continuous shooting.
Expect some new video stuff like high speed video for slow motion video. Maybe 300 or 600fps video. Also the ability to pull an image from a video on-camera.
Metal body and Water sealing like the 1D
No mode dial...buttons instead like the 1D. Helps with the water sealing.
radio wireless control of flash
pop up flash still....
Very large screen - possibly with touch and dual pixel CMOS
More custom setting profiles.
Phase detection AF down to -2EV
1.15 viewfinder
No guarantee it will be called the 7D mkII
AVAILABILITY: Late September or early October....just in time for the Xmas shopping season!
Price $2200

I've taken a lot of this from the more persistent things listed on CR that were CR2. Until just recently they have not issued a single CR3 regarding the 7D replacement. Most of the CR2 stuff was very sensible, consistent, and other than a couple delays from the first half of 2014 to the second half, there hasn't been anything that's turned up as clearly wrong. But sometimes they miss things. I think Canon does try hard to hide what they are doing. They prefer to surprise us. Here's what I've turned up from CR regarding the 1DX, 5DIII, and 7DII:

On the 1DX: on October 10, 2011, Canon Rumors only had this to go on: "Next EOS not a 1Ds4 or 5D3…. could be a 1D Mark 5? [CR2]"...... On October 17 Canon ran a press release announcing the 1DX. It detailed all the specs and said it would be available in March 2012. Here, Canon made a very early announcement before a lot of leaking could get out. I didn't spend a lot of time on the 1DX because I'm more curious about the 7D....

On the 5DmkIII,
Early on there were specs all over the place, early talk of a Feb 7 announcement, mention of Eye Control AF, GPS, and other such things. Nothing solid at all. From Feb 1-20 there was a lot of chatter but it was speculation, random specs, talk of a "5DX", etc coming from many different directions. Most of it CR1.

On Feb 22, CR posted a short list of some possible specs along with an announcement date of March 2 as [CR3]

On Feb 26, mkII price drops were announced to be coming on March 4. But then on Feb 28, a firmware update was released for the mkII leading many to believe the mkII wasn't as close to reality as they had hoped.

On March 1, Canon Rumors posted a full spec list with a question mark behind it. It was accurate.

On March 2, Canon issued the press release on the mkIII. First orders were around March 22. Then a product advisory in April followed shortly thereafter with a firmware update.

So CR seemed to have nailed it when they actually put a CR3 on it.

Now on to the 7D.....

Way back in 2012 there was no CR3s issued on the 7DII that I could find. A lot of CR1s. In June 2012 it was mentioned that there might be an APS-H 7Dor there might not but they didn't go further. It was just in a list of reported rumors. Not even a CR1.

In August 2012 there was a short spec list as a CR1 with this note: "I am not convinced such a camera is on the horizon. We’ve heard for a while that the 70D would move up a level and the 7D would be left alone. With the recent major firmware update for the 7D, replacing the camera directly this soon seems like a stretch."

In september this was listed:
A new sensor line will appear in 2013 that will be seen across the entire APS-C lineup. Expect to see the first announcements in the first half of 2013.
The delays in developing the sensor was apparently a big reason for the big firmware update for the 7D. It’s also suggested that there may not be a 7D/60D amalgamation in the future. The 7D Mark II will not be an APS-H camera as some have wished/rumored.

Note that other than the timing, this all seems to be accurate as far as we know. Trouble with this sensor may have continued until more recently.

In october a CR1 was posted about a possible 7d replacement announcement in early 2013.

In november the first round of specs were mentioned and were CR1. It included "new ergonomic body" (I'm thinking integrated grip...see why later) New battery (would be good for an integrated grip). 24.2MP sensor. 10fps Expected announcement in early 2013.

Later that month some talk that the 7D2 was going to be more aimed squarely at sports and wildlife photogs. (more on that later too)

Things were quiet till february 2013 when a new spec list came out - the first CR2 regarding the 7DII. In the list are again 24MP sensor, 10fps, dual card slots, dual processors, 61point AF, GPS, WIFI, and "ISO performance close to the 5D3" which again says a breakthrough sensor technology. But such technology can have delays while being developed of course. It also said it would be a "baby 1DX" which brings to mind an integrated grip.

In March more talk about the integrated grip. An integrated grip allows for a bigger battery which can make select large L lenses AF faster. Something a sports/wildlife camera should have.

Later that month a camera was speccd that "might" be the 7DII but only a 21MP sensor. Also a CR1.

In May they stated that a 7DII would be a 2014 camera as a CR2.

In July, more mention of a possible new 24MP sensor and a 2014 availability.

In August they reported being told that specs aren't finalized yet but it would have dual pixel AF and GPS and a 2014 availability.

Later that month, a spec list including a 20MP sensor

In October a CR1 was posted stating Q2 of 2014 for an announcement but the sensor would not be the 20MP just mentioned.

Later that month another CR1 spec list which said the sensor wasn't decided but would either be 24MP or 20MP but not the same as the 70D sensor. Similar specs otherwise to what had shown before but "innovative video features" and major ISO improvement were mentioned yet again.

In November, a CR2 stating "first half of 2014" along with it being a "PRO APS-C", (not prosumer or semi-pro), new sensor, new AF system that will be similar to the next 1D body.

In december a CR1 stating no 7D replacement was coming. They doubted it.
Later that month a "CR3 level source" was reported to have said that a 7D replacement is coming in 2014 but with no timeframe. It was marked CR2.

January a CR1 was issued stating that a 7DII might be announce at CP+. Later that month, Q2 is mentioned. Also a CR1.

Feb - a new CR1 also stating Q2 and mentioning cutting edge video, and setting a new standard for APS-C sensors.

March, another CR1 about a brand new sensor under 25MP, sual card slots, the "most features of any Canon DSLR ever"

May - A report that preproduction models WILL be in Brazil at the world cup and that they hope to announce it in August to show off in Photokina in September.

June - reports of distributors entering "end of life" for Canon 7D in their systems
Later that month, more reports of this and another mention of an August announcement.
And another mentioning a top plate similar to the 1DX instead of a mode dial.
And another about a 1.15 viewfinder coverage
And another with a supposed user who mentioned higher MP, vastly improved AF, greatly improved ISO and noise, potentially different sensor than expected, close to pro but not to compete with 1DX, release in fall, and that Canon was holding back the announcement for a reason.
And still in June, a CR2 - to expect all new sensor tech to be used in all forthcoming DSLRs. And it's not Foveon.

July -The first CR3 on the 7DII. It says the NDA/embargo on the 7DII will expire in September.
Another July post firming up the estimated date of that NDA release.

July 12, Canon drops price of 7D
July 26, 7D discontinued at Amazon

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2014 17:48 |  #2

Some one really wants a 7D2!!

Nice write up.

If were going on record, all I have to add is being a "no man" and proferring a bunch pf disagreement :)

I don't believe it will have 1D style grip
I don't believe it will have a new AF system (the one in the eos-3 - 1DIIn lasted through six
upgrades.)
I don't believe it will go from mode dial to 1D style buttons, or the weather sealing that implies.
Nor will it have 10 fps.

In short, I am not debating anything else you are saying, but I do not believe it will be a 1.6x crop 1D.
I feel like it will handle and feel a lot like a 7D, it hopefully will add 5D3 AF, and of course the sensor is the big upgrade.

However, if it is what you describe, that would be pretty DAMN cool! (if people could afford it)

*Note, my predictions come from absolutely never visiting Canon Rumors, and believing none of what is printed there.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,259 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 07, 2014 17:57 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #3

Did you mention a touch screen?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2014 19:32 |  #4

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17082770 (external link)
Did you mention a touch screen?

Nope. While I think they might do that, I'm just not certain about it. With everything else they want to accomplish at the pricepoint they want to hit, they may want to avoid it and pick it up on the next update as a reason for us to spend even more. lol

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2014 19:34 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17082752 (external link)
Some one really wants a 7D2!!

Nice write up.

If were going on record, all I have to add is being a "no man" and proferring a bunch pf disagreement :)

I don't believe it will have 1D style grip
I don't believe it will have a new AF system (the one in the eos-3 - 1DIIn lasted through six
upgrades.)
I don't believe it will go from mode dial to 1D style buttons, or the weather sealing that implies.
Nor will it have 10 fps.

In short, I am not debating anything else you are saying, but I do not believe it will be a 1.6x crop 1D.
I feel like it will handle and feel a lot like a 7D, it hopefully will add 5D3 AF, and of course the sensor is the big upgrade.

However, if it is what you describe, that would be pretty DAMN cool! (if people could afford it)

*Note, my predictions come from absolutely never visiting Canon Rumors, and believing none of what is printed there.

lol. Fair enough. And you could be just as right. At the end of the day, it's all just guesswork. :lol:

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 07, 2014 19:58 |  #6

No built in grip.
Possibly 10fps.
1.3x 16mp sensor.
Camera should have low light and and high iso capabilities of 6D.
Af similar to 5D MIII.
Price: $1950

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 07, 2014 21:41 |  #7

Thorrulz wrote in post #17083047 (external link)
No built in grip.
Possibly 10fps.
1.3x 16mp sensor.
Camera should have low light and and high iso capabilities of 6D.
Af similar to 5D MIII.
Price: $1950

You really think APS-H is in the works? From what I can tell, it's dead dead dead. Here's my thought. It forces you to use the longer glass of the full frames instead of being able to use EF-S glass and weight is one of the great benefits of a crop camera. You can carry smaller lenses and get the same framing of a bigger lens on a full frame. The cost of making a 3rd sensor just doesn't add up either. The 1.3 was originally as close to a "full frame" that Canon thought people would be willing to pay for. They made the "s" variant for those few who were willing to pay the big bucks and sacrifice speed for image quality but it was expensive. It was 4 years before they started making a full frame other than the s variant. Now that full frame has gotten less expensive they've moved from the 2 sensor variant model on the 1D and consolidated on a single full frame sensor that doesn't sacrifice the specs of the original 1D. Thus the new name - 1DX. A statement from Canon that they don't need the 1.3 sensor any longer. They can now keep costs down on sensor production by only having 2 sizes of sensors. They aren't going to open that can of worms back up to gain a non benefit - especially if they can make a dramatic improvement already in a crop sensor that is superior to the previous 1.3 sensor.

I don't want to spend a lot of time defending my conjecture. I have no facts to stand on. But it wasn't until I read through every 7DII rumor on CR from the last 3 years today that I decided it would include one. There were way too many references to it in CR2 level posts for me to dismiss it. On top of that, there were a few mentions of a new battery in the CR2 posts. The LPE6 battery it now has worked just fine for the 5DII, 5DIII, 6D, 7D, 60D and 70D. I can't imagine that a change in battery would be necessary unless you had a different shape that you had to work with. In the case of a grip, you get more space to put a larger battery and a larger battery will power AF on some L lenses faster than they do on a camera with the LP E6 battery. It's mentioned several times that the thing will be aimed squarely at sports/wildlife and those people need both longer lasting batteries and the fastest AF they can get.

Anyways, that's my thought on the integrated grip. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough but I just wanted to state my reasoning since I just decided today that it would be on it. :-P

EDIT: I just thought of an easy way to put it. With the 1DX, they basically replaced the 1DS and the 7D is now slated to take the place of the original 1D that was more popular with sports and wildlife people with its smaller sensor/longer reach, yet with a smaller and lighter overall package. It wouldn't shock me to find out that it's capable of a higher fps than the 1DX but will be held back by firmware until such time that they need to increase it to extend the life.

MGH
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 08, 2014 04:09 |  #8

" a brand new sensor design at 24MP with much greater ISO and IQ bringing it up to almost full frame capability. "

Would that be Canons full frame capability or Nikon/Sony capability?

flickr (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 08, 2014 06:38 |  #9

kfreels wrote in post #17082737 (external link)
Lots of people have been speculating on the 7D. Some have pointed to repeated failures of Canon Rumors to get it right as their reason for thinking a 7D replacement isn't coming. Others have suggested that Canon has given up in the sensor game. Still others claim that APS-C is dead. I'm here to tell you that you're all wrong. I've been involved in countless threads arguing many points about this and I figured instead I would make a single post of what I suspect is going to happen, when, why, and then we can just come back later and see if I'm right. I've done some serious research on Canon Rumors and from what I can tell, they have some darned good information and are pretty good at tagging just how reliable each post is. So first I'll say what I think on the 7D replacement. Then I'll spell out what I discovered in researching Canon rumors. Here we
go!

So the 7D replacement will be announced somewhere between August 20 and September 10. The NDA will expire then. Canon can make their press release whenever they want but the NDA keeps people from talking about it before they make their release. So the NDA expiration date is the latest they will make their announcement.

An NDA is there to keep people from leaking information about the camera. Needless to say, if there is no camera, there's nothing to sign an NDA for. This has been reported as a fact and not a rumor. Also reported as fact was that Canon was sending 7D replacements to Brazil for the world cup and that they wanted to announce in August. Also mentioned was that the delay until August was for a reason.

So the camera exists. And it will be announced soon. Now here's what I think it will be:

10+ fps on a brand new sensor design at 24MP with much greater ISO and IQ bringing it up to almost full frame capability. THe same tech can be used in full frame to push them up higher as well. It will set a new bar in APS-C IQ.

The camera will be aimed squarely at sports and wildlife. The 7D is already mostly used that way and that's a unique market that they can expand on. This is an area where Canon shines already. And I'm sure they are thinking that more hobbyists are shooting sports and wildlife because those are things their friends with their phones, rebels, and nikons can't do nearly as well. It's a differentiator.

As such it will have an integrated grip. This allows a bigger battery which will allow certain L lenses to AF even faster just like the 1DX does now compared to the 5D3.

WIFI and GPS are both no brainers. GPS is great for wildlife so you can easily keep track of where you were. Wifi helps you get your sports pics up faster than your competition might.
dual card slots - definitely
new AF system - a variation of what will be on the next 1D and not the current 1D or 5D system.
Expect some new video stuff like high speed video for slow motion video. Maybe 300 or 600fps video. Also the ability to pull an image from a video on-camera.
Water sealing like the 1D
No mode dial...buttons instead like the 1D
radio wireless control of flash
pop up flash still....
Very large screen - possibly with touch and dual pixel CMOS
More custom setting profiles.
Phase detection AF down to -2EV
1.15 viewfinder
No guarantee it will be called the 7D mkII
AVAILABILITY: Late September or early October....just in time for the Xmas shopping season!
Price $2000

I've taken a lot of this from the more persistent things listed on CR that were CR2. Until just recently they have not issued a single CR3 regarding the 7D replacement. Most of the CR2 stuff was very sensible, consistent, and other than a couple delays from the first half of 2014 to the second half, there hasn't been anything that's turned up as clearly wrong. But sometimes they miss things. I think Canon does try hard to hide what they are doing. They prefer to surprise us. Here's what I've turned up from CR regarding the 1DX, 5DIII, and 7DII:

On the 1DX: on October 10, 2011, Canon Rumors only had this to go on: "Next EOS not a 1Ds4 or 5D3…. could be a 1D Mark 5? [CR2]"...... On October 17 Canon ran a press release announcing the 1DX. It detailed all the specs and said it would be available in March 2012. Here, Canon made a very early announcement before a lot of leaking could get out. I didn't spend a lot of time on the 1DX because I'm more curious about the 7D....

On the 5DmkIII,
Early on there were specs all over the place, early talk of a Feb 7 announcement, mention of Eye Control AF, GPS, and other such things. Nothing solid at all. From Feb 1-20 there was a lot of chatter but it was speculation, random specs, talk of a "5DX", etc coming from many different directions. Most of it CR1.

On Feb 22, CR posted a short list of some possible specs along with an announcement date of March 2 as [CR3]

On Feb 26, mkII price drops were announced to be coming on March 4. But then on Feb 28, a firmware update was released for the mkII leading many to believe the mkII wasn't as close to reality as they had hoped.

On March 1, Canon Rumors posted a full spec list with a question mark behind it. It was accurate.

On March 2, Canon issued the press release on the mkIII. First orders were around March 22. Then a product advisory in April followed shortly thereafter with a firmware update.

So CR seemed to have nailed it when they actually put a CR3 on it.

Now on to the 7D.....

Way back in 2012 there was no CR3s issued on the 7DII that I could find. A lot of CR1s. In June 2012 it was mentioned that there might be an APS-H 7Dor there might not but they didn't go further. It was just in a list of reported rumors. Not even a CR1.

In August 2012 there was a short spec list as a CR1 with this note: "I am not convinced such a camera is on the horizon. We’ve heard for a while that the 70D would move up a level and the 7D would be left alone. With the recent major firmware update for the 7D, replacing the camera directly this soon seems like a stretch."

In september this was listed:
A new sensor line will appear in 2013 that will be seen across the entire APS-C lineup. Expect to see the first announcements in the first half of 2013.
The delays in developing the sensor was apparently a big reason for the big firmware update for the 7D. It’s also suggested that there may not be a 7D/60D amalgamation in the future. The 7D Mark II will not be an APS-H camera as some have wished/rumored.

Note that other than the timing, this all seems to be accurate as far as we know. Trouble with this sensor may have continued until more recently.

In october a CR1 was posted about a possible 7d replacement announcement in early 2013.

In november the first round of specs were mentioned and were CR1. It included "new ergonomic body" (I'm thinking integrated grip...see why later) New battery (would be good for an integrated grip). 24.2MP sensor. 10fps Expected announcement in early 2013.

Later that month some talk that the 7D2 was going to be more aimed squarely at sports and wildlife photogs. (more on that later too)

Things were quiet till february 2013 when a new spec list came out - the first CR2 regarding the 7DII. In the list are again 24MP sensor, 10fps, dual card slots, dual processors, 61point AF, GPS, WIFI, and "ISO performance close to the 5D3" which again says a breakthrough sensor technology. But such technology can have delays while being developed of course. It also said it would be a "baby 1DX" which brings to mind an integrated grip.

In March more talk about the integrated grip. An integrated grip allows for a bigger battery which can make select large L lenses AF faster. Something a sports/wildlife camera should have.

Later that month a camera was speccd that "might" be the 7DII but only a 21MP sensor. Also a CR1.

In May they stated that a 7DII would be a 2014 camera as a CR2.

In July, more mention of a possible new 24MP sensor and a 2014 availability.

In August they reported being told that specs aren't finalized yet but it would have dual pixel AF and GPS and a 2014 availability.

Later that month, a spec list including a 20MP sensor

In October a CR1 was posted stating Q2 of 2014 for an announcement but the sensor would not be the 20MP just mentioned.

Later that month another CR1 spec list which said the sensor wasn't decided but would either be 24MP or 20MP but not the same as the 70D sensor. Similar specs otherwise to what had shown before but "innovative video features" and major ISO improvement were mentioned yet again.

In November, a CR2 stating "first half of 2014" along with it being a "PRO APS-C", (not prosumer or semi-pro), new sensor, new AF system that will be similar to the next 1D body.

In december a CR1 stating no 7D replacement was coming. They doubted it.
Later that month a "CR3 level source" was reported to have said that a 7D replacement is coming in 2014 but with no timeframe. It was marked CR2.

January a CR1 was issued stating that a 7DII might be announce at CP+. Later that month, Q2 is mentioned. Also a CR1.

Feb - a new CR1 also stating Q2 and mentioning cutting edge video, and setting a new standard for APS-C sensors.

March, another CR1 about a brand new sensor under 25MP, sual card slots, the "most features of any Canon DSLR ever"

May - A report that preproduction models WILL be in Brazil at the world cup and that they hope to announce it in August to show off in Photokina in September.

June - reports of distributors entering "end of life" for Canon 7D in their systems
Later that month, more reports of this and another mention of an August announcement.
And another mentioning a top plate similar to the 1DX instead of a mode dial.
And another about a 1.15 viewfinder coverage
And another with a supposed user who mentioned higher MP, vastly improved AF, greatly improved ISO and noise, potentially different sensor than expected, close to pro but not to compete with 1DX, release in fall, and that Canon was holding back the announcement for a reason.
And still in June, a CR2 - to expect all new sensor tech to be used in all forthcoming DSLRs. And it's not Foveon.

July -The first CR3 on the 7DII. It says the NDA/embargo on the 7DII will expire in September.
Another July post firming up the estimated date of that NDA release.

July 12, Canon drops price of 7D
July 26, 7D discontinued at Amazon

yes, the rumor sites are persistent and it could all be speculation and hype

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 08, 2014 08:47 |  #10

Excellent post Kfreels.

You did an admirable job of wading through the rumors through time and correlating them with actual events.
Kudos for that. :)

As I'm guilty of starting a couple of 7DII rumor threads/polls, here's my input/"prediction" as to the features of the long awaited 7DII:

You propose that the 7DII will basically be a 1D4 with APSC sensor and $2k price point.
I have trouble believing that even though I do agree/expect that the 7DII will be the "equivalent" of the 1D5 release but remain compact a la 5D3 or the original 7D. The main reason I believe that is that it will turn off quite a few people with its size (me for instance). Anyone who needs the additional "juice" can buy the grip and be done with it.

As far as features are concerned, I believe that the new Canon models going forward will have the following:
0.18 micron process sensors with completely different "look" and increased ISO and DR performance at least to Sony's level or maybe even better.
wifi - GPS - touchscreen will be mandatory features going forward
4k video in different formats/speeds will be available going forward

I think this is the core of Canon's camera new features starting with Photokina 2014.
Köln here I come! ;)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 08, 2014 09:09 |  #11

Wow. nice write up. Since I do a lot of photo's for a couple "mega-churchs' that often get higher profile guest speakers, I agree on the NDA thought process, since it works the same way for me.
I'm hoping you are correct on the specs.

While I'd like the battery grip, I'm guessing that it will not, giving people the option of they want the extra bulk, vs power to drive the AF. I could even see the price starting out at $2,220 then settling down a bit. even without this being their top crop from the 6D price to the 5dm3 price is a pretty big gab to price something MSRP wise. Throw in that this is going to have their new sensor tech going to all lines, and it could be bit higher than 2K.
Personally I'm hoping for the 1d top plate, and dual card slots, but after playing with a 6d remotely with wifi, I'm warming up to that idea as well.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2014 09:19 |  #12

andrikos wrote in post #17083822 (external link)
Excellent post Kfreels.

You did an admirable job of wading through the rumors through time and correlating them with actual events.
Kudos for that. :)

As I'm guilty of starting a couple of 7DII rumor threads/polls, here's my input/"prediction" as to the features of the long awaited 7DII:

You propose that the 7DII will basically be a 1D4 with APSC sensor and $2k price point.
I have trouble believing that even though I do agree/expect that the 7DII will be the "equivalent" of the 1D5 release but remain compact a la 5D3 or the original 7D. The main reason I believe that is that it will turn off quite a few people with its size (me for instance). Anyone who needs the additional "juice" can buy the grip and be done with it.

As far as features are concerned, I believe that the new Canon models going forward will have the following:
0.18 micron process sensors with completely different "look" and increased ISO and DR performance at least to Sony's level or maybe even better.
wifi - GPS - touchscreen will be mandatory features going forward
4k video in different formats/speeds will be available going forward

I think this is the core of Canon's camera new features starting with Photokina 2014.
Köln here I come! ;)

You may be right on the touch screen. I wouldn't mind being wrong about that.... as long as they put that sensor on it that turns it off when you put the camera to your face.
As for a different "look", I don't think so. A lot of people choose Canon because of their "look". It's the skin tones. And maintaining that is probably critically important to them. So much so that this may very well be what has delayed Canon and the next leap in sensor technology. I never thought of that until just now but that would make a LOT of sense. They wouldn't want to increase their DR or reduce noise and sacrifice those skin tones that were partially responsible for Scott Kelby moving to Canon. But moving to a different process I think would change the way the light is collected and would change the formula for colors. Those skin tones are their signature and I can see Canon putting off a sensor release until they got the formula just right.

They may be able to match or exceed Sony's IQ and beat the pants off of them in the ISO department. But in response to the previous person's question, I don't see a new Canon crop sensor beating a Sony full frame sensor. More likely it will be up to par with the current Canon full frame sensors and the same tech when applied to the Canon full frames will push them past the Sony.

As for the 4k video, I didn't even think of that. You're probably right. I wonder if 4k can be done at 300fps.....

On the integrated grip and size, I think we'll be in for a pleasant surprise. As you said, having something more compact than the 1D is nice. So when I mention an integrated grip, suddenly it seems like a giant camera. But that's not how I picture it. I picture it as being physically smaller overall than the 1D. A thinner, lighter, shorter version with an integrated grip. It would be an all new size, not like a 7D with a big ol honkin grip on it. Since it would be thinner it will call for a new battery that's longer but thinner. Otherwise it could probably just use the 1D battery.

At least that's how I envision it. By the way, I really don't care either way on the grip. I really dislike the grip on my 7D and take it off except when I'm in for a long day like a wedding or marching band. An integrated grip would scale that back quite a bit I think. My preference would be a design where an optional grip was planned as part of the design to be smaller and thinner rather than being an afterthought. But that's probably asking way too much of Canon. My only reason for thinking that an integrated grip is planned is because of the repeated mention of it in CR2 rumors that were so frequent that I couldn't ignore them.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 08, 2014 09:27 |  #13

Great job on consolidating the rumors.

I like your conjecture on the specs and hope you are correct. I wouldn't be too surprised if you were accurate or that several points are wrong. I am looking forward to the end of the month / first week of September.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

PNPhotography
800 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2014 09:59 |  #14

Nice writeup but I don't see anyway in hell it's going to be $2000. People are Sooo desperate for this camera it will be minimum $2300 and it will fly off the shelves.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 08, 2014 10:50 |  #15

canon rookie wrote in post #17083980 (external link)
Nice writeup but I don't see anyway in hell it's going to be $2000. People are Sooo desperate for this camera it will be minimum $2300 and it will fly off the shelves.

Yeah. You may be right. The more I think about it, the more I want to say $2199. It really all depends on what they put in it. And Canon knows, if you release it too low, you can't raise the price. But if you release it high, you can always put it "on sale" and move them faster.

sponsored links

71,306 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.