Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2014 19:40 |  #46

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17089804 (external link)
I notice the date is still moving further down the road...

That's to make it better. ;)

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 11, 2014 20:22 |  #47

I bet anything they go crazy.

7D2 = 1DX but a 24mp crop sensor and limited to 9fps

Done.

Priced at $2499.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sssc
572 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 11, 2014 22:40 |  #48

Talley wrote in post #17090140 (external link)
I bet anything they go crazy.

7D2 = 1DX but a 24mp crop sensor and limited to 9fps

Done.

Priced at $2499.

Good friend at a shop said if its real it will go for $2500 he is betting. Funny you got $2499:)

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Aug 11, 2014 23:22 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

sssc wrote in post #17090364 (external link)
Good friend at a shop said if its real it will go for $2500 he is betting. Funny you got $2499:)

How much if it isn't real?

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 11, 2014 23:33 |  #50

This is my real gripe here on the delay or extensive testing of the 7D itself. It set a new bar at the time and really what parts need to be improved?

Let's be honest, those that really shoot a 7D, what we really want is a better sensor. I don't need/want anything else. If they said "For 1000 dollars we will replace with a new 24mp sensor that is as good(or better) than the Sony/Nikon out there right now." I would send all of mine in right now. GPS and WiFi? Meh. Touch Screen? Meh. Buttons or Mode Dials? Meh.

The camera's actual specs outside of the now getting dated sensor is really awesome. Focus system works VERY well in the fast paced motorsports world I work in. I am only lacking, and it isn't that much, in the IQ, Colors and sensor tech. An improved JPEG would be nice. Improved ISO Performance. Etc. FPS? How much more do you need? Is dual slots really needed?

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

howiewu
628 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 06:00 |  #51

dinanm3atl wrote in post #17090438 (external link)
This is my real gripe here on the delay or extensive testing of the 7D itself. It set a new bar at the time and really what parts need to be improved?

Let's be honest, those that really shoot a 7D, what we really want is a better sensor. I don't need/want anything else. If they said "For 1000 dollars we will replace with a new 24mp sensor that is as good(or better) than the Sony/Nikon out there right now." I would send all of mine in right now. GPS and WiFi? Meh. Touch Screen? Meh. Buttons or Mode Dials? Meh.

The camera's actual specs outside of the now getting dated sensor is really awesome. Focus system works VERY well in the fast paced motorsports world I work in. I am only lacking, and it isn't that much, in the IQ, Colors and sensor tech. An improved JPEG would be nice. Improved ISO Performance. Etc. FPS? How much more do you need? Is dual slots really needed?

Yep, sensor tech is Canon's achilles' heel right now, isn't it? We can use a few improvements here and there, but yes, we want a much better sensor!

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

howiewu
628 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 06:06 |  #52

kfreels wrote in post #17089006 (external link)
I guess I need to point out the difference from a "rumor" at CR and a person making guesses. CR doesn't just sit around and make guesses. They have contacts with people inside Canon who may not be directly involved with a particular camera, but who come into regular contact with those who do. And such people in the workplace tend to talk about things they're doing on occasion. When that happens, they pass it on to CR and it becomes a "rumor". CR rates those rumors based on the source's previous history of accuracy.

So a CR1 is a rumor from an unfamiliar source or a source without a proven track record of being accuracy. A CR2 is coming from a person who has access to such information and also has a track history of getting it right.

Random speculation isn't given a CR value at all. So for example, today there are two posts. Once is about a possible 35+MP camera at Photokina. The other is that the 7DII won't have wifi. The first has no CR value at all. The post states clearly that a source for someone else reported this information. They don't know the source, it wasn't directly given to them by the source, so it wasn't assigned a CR value. The second is a CR2. This "good source" also stated it would have Eos-1 build quality. Then the author states that their opinion is that this may mean that it's a large MP camera.

There is a considerable difference between a source and an opinion. Does this mean the source is always right? No. But the quality of the source matters. Reading some of the comments I have flashbacks of debates about scientific topics with people who throw the word "theory" around as if it is the same thing as conjecture or guessing.

Everything I came to a conclusion on was based on a mixture of actual rumors and my own guesswork. But let me sort those out here:

7D replacement exists - multiple CR2 source confirmations
7D replacement is an even nicer build quality and more 1D like - multiple CR2 source confirmations
7DII announcement in the next month - multiple CRII source confirmations
24MP improved sensor - multiple CRII source confirmations
10 fps - guess work and a couple CR1s and CR2s that conflict between 9 and 12 fps
gps - CR1
wifi - CR1 with conflicting CR2 stating it won't be there and my guess that it's a little late to not have wifi
integrated grip - OLD CR2 and CR1 which may have changed over time along with my guesswork with the CR2 mention of a new battery
radio control of flash - pure guesswork
dual card slots - CR1 and CR2 - different sources
7DII name - up in the air

As with anything, the more specific you get, the less accurate you are. But a couple things which have multiple CR2 values from multiple sources all say that a replacement is imminent and that it will have a more 1D like build quality, more MP, and better noise and ISO.

I really hope you get paid for this kind of vehement defending.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 12, 2014 08:04 |  #53

howiewu wrote in post #17090715 (external link)
I really hope you get paid for this kind of vehement defending.

Would be nice, wouldn't it? I do feel it necessary to make sure that people understand the difference between what CR posts and just straight up guessing. But I dont' have to write so much. I hate to admit it, but you know how some people like to hear themselves talk? Well I like to read what I write. I'm sure there's a support group for people like me.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 12, 2014 08:58 |  #54

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17089804 (external link)
I notice the date is still moving further down the road...

Where did you see that? The latest from CR was Sept 5 which is before the previous of Sept 8. Both were listed as "guesses" though and not as rumors. I haven't seen anything pushing it back to the other side of Sept 8.

Imagemaster
26 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 12, 2014 09:04 |  #55

dinanm3atl wrote in post #17090438 (external link)

What makes you think everyone wants or needs the same things as you? Many people are unhappy with the AF of the 7D and have to focus on more demanding subjects than large contrasty cars travelling on a horizontal plane in a predetermined direction.

Rumor has it that it will not have WiFi or touch screen, so why the Meh? What is the problem with wanting dual slots?

There is nothing wrong with others wanting improved features that you don't want.

mccamli
698 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 12, 2014 11:01 |  #56

Imagemaster wrote in post #17090957 (external link)
What makes you think everyone wants or needs the same things as you? Many people are unhappy with the AF of the 7D and have to focus on more demanding subjects than large contrasty cars travelling on a horizontal plane in a predetermined direction.

Rumor has it that it will not have WiFi or touch screen, so why the Meh? What is the problem with wanting dual slots?

There is nothing wrong with others wanting improved features that you don't want.

Well that's quite true. But if all Canon offered was a 24MP sensor with significantly improved noise/banding and high ISO performance it would probably be plenty to entice many current 7D users. Personally I'd love better AF performance but I'd be sorely tempted with a significant sensor upgrade.

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,100 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 12, 2014 11:12 |  #57

kfreels wrote in post #17090939 (external link)
Where did you see that? The latest from CR was Sept 5 which is before the previous of Sept 8. Both were listed as "guesses" though and not as rumors. I haven't seen anything pushing it back to the other side of Sept 8.

Sorry, your actually right. I was thinking Photokina was mid August, so when I saw the Sept 5 date I'm think that's after photokina. it is in fact mid Sept.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 12, 2014 16:31 |  #58

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17091191 (external link)
Sorry, your actually right. I was thinking Photokina was mid August, so when I saw the Sept 5 date I'm think that's after photokina. it is in fact mid Sept.

Ah. Freaked me out for a second. Thought I missed something. lol

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 12, 2014 16:51 |  #59

So a couple rumors to add - also sourced as CR2....

1.) No wifi due to the metal body. I hadn't thought of that when I made my list. Wifi seemed like a no-brainer to me but as I noted, a previous CR2 also said "no wifi". And no CR@ so far has listed wifi as a feature. So this is the second CR2 to come out saying no wifi and it gives a reason - an all metal body which again seems to be yet another confirmation of a 1D like build. Is there an electrical engineer here who can tell us for sure if it's really that hard to make an all metal body with wifi?

2.) a mention that there will be no touch screen because it would hamper durability. I didn't mention a touch screen because it didn't seem to fit but this didn't cross my mind as yet another reason not to have it.

With all this emphasis on durability, the Pentax K-50, the boom in waterproof and weatherproof phones and P&S cameras, I wonder if Canon doesn't have yet another surprise up their sleeve. A crop camera with some serious ruggedization. It would be a good place to test some of those things for use in a 1D later.

I know there's a lot of concern with cost as we add these things up. But I don't think we need to be too worried. A new sensor had to happen anyways. For all we know, once the manufacturing starts, the new sensor may be cheaper to produce. Many other features are just software. Certain parts may be pulled from 1D and 5D cameras to keep the cost down as well. Other parts may be planned to be used in future cameras to spread the cost out. There's a lot we don't know in this area and but there's also only so much someone is going to pay for a crop camera. If it gets too close to 5D sale prices, it's not going to do so well I would think. Although some might very well be willing to pay a lot for a crop camera as rugged or even more rugged than the 1DX with specs to match. This is really getting interesting. :-)

So I'll just come out and say it. $2400 is my personal limit. More than that and I'll just wait for an 80D with the new sensor.

sssc
572 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2014 21:15 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #60

So I'll just come out and say it. $2400 is my personal limit. More than that and I'll just wait for an 80D with the new sensor.[/QUOTE] Price will drop in 6 months. I hope they do something good. I know a bit about LR a drop about PS. I bought all Canon Glass.Kept my T2i through all kinds of new body's. Telling my self that they will do something big to keep up with the others or go far ahead of them. I just play with this stuff as a hobby and i love it. Still got a lot to learn.Dreams 7D mkII

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

sponsored links

71,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.