Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

Imagemaster
26 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 13, 2014 23:35 |  #76

h14nha wrote in post #17094354 (external link)
I'm not sure either that there are many people unhappy with their 7D's AF. Most of the MANY threads on here regarding AF issues usually turn out to be operator error.......... :)

Really? There are a great many that would like a 7D to focus as well as a 1DX or 5D3.

I have owned all three and the 7D's inferior AF compared to the 1DX and 5D3 was not due to operator error. My 1D4 has better AF.

sponsored links
MGH
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 14, 2014 05:37 |  #77

It also looks like Nikon might have a new sports camera out around the same time.
http://nikonrumors.com …as-an-action-camera.aspx/ (external link)

flickr (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 14, 2014 07:49 |  #78

rjharris wrote in post #17094909 (external link)
That's funny because my 7D focuses fine, unless I miss my focus point or it's just too dark to take in any light. The autofocus was down on my list compared to high ISO noise.

If that were my experience, I'd still have the 7D. As I said, I've used many other Canon DSLR's - 400D, 40D, 50D, 3 7D's, 5D, 5DII, 5DIII - only the 3 7D's had the AF issues which resulted in me triple shooting everything.

I spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the 7D AF, it just never seemed quite right. Perhaps I was unlucky with the 3 I bought (they were all 2nd hand), and were sold because of AF issues to begin with.

But hey, here's to hoping for an awesome new AF system...

Z...

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2014 12:27 |  #79

I had a 7D and really enjoyed it. I'm curious, with all the features being discussed over this new 7D2, how do you think it would make you a better photographer?

GeoffSobering
740 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 14, 2014 12:32 |  #80

rick_reno wrote in post #17095999 (external link)
I had a 7D and really enjoyed it. I'm curious, with all the features being discussed over this new 7D2, how do you think it would make you a better photographer?

Better AF would up my keeper rate and thus I'd spend less time making sure I had the shot and more time working on more interesting composition/exposure/e​tc.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

http://moving-target-photos.com/ (external link) - My Stuff

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 14, 2014 12:45 |  #81

h14nha wrote in post #17094626 (external link)
Sony brought out the SLt's and beat the 7D FPS within months of its release. IQ was also superb, my bro in law had one, they are very good and the A77 rivals the 7D in all aspects, its just the lack of Sony lens.

I know a little about the a55. A friend of mine had one. It came out a year later and did 10fps....but only in an auto-exposure mode. If you wanted manual then you lost the ability to refocus between shots. Not something I would say beats the 7D in "all respects". You could gain proper use of the camera back at 6fps but then you aren't with the 7D again. And the lack of lenses isn't a minor thing either. IQ wasn't any better either. Noise and DR were both roughly the same and really I think the 7D was better in the noise department as ISO went up. And the AF really had trouble with fast moving objects. And the 7D let you choose tracking sensitivity and other such parameters. He really didn't like the EVF and he always ran into buffer issues while I would just shoot away with my UDMA7 CF card. He eventually sold it and bought a 7D.

Sure, it was a nice camera, but to say it was a match for the 7D is a real stretch. As far as I know, even the a77 is dogged by this AE locking of exposure when shooting at 11 fps and can only shoot 8 in manual mode and still has a buffer problem with RAW images. DR on the a77 is great but that wasn't released 4 years ago. And as I said before, if Canon didn't have the sensor ready, it was pointless to release an update to the 7D.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2014 13:05 |  #82

I've never really understood why some people will put so much on pure FPS rating of a system, but then ignore the buffer size. Being able to take 300 frames per second wouldn't be all that great if the buffer was only 5 photos and took ages to clear.

I have never filled my 7D's buffer to the point that I couldn't take a photo on demand. I've stalled the buffer a handful of times where my FPS drops down a fraction of what it usually is, but those were very rare events.

While no where near an issue if you are working on photos where you can snap a carefully composed frame every minute or two, but it becomes far different when you are in the middle of full motion action and things suddenly take a rather unexpected turn on you.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 14, 2014 13:05 |  #83

It wouldn't make me a better photographer. Some features would make it easier to get to the results I want. Some are mere conveniences. Better sensor specs would let me get better results in lighting situations where I have no control over the light.

I'm not sure where you're going with that question, but I apply the same thought processes to everything I buy. My car has features I don't "need" which includes a convertible top, a 6 speed manual transmission, heated seats and a bose stereo. It doesn't make be a better driver but i enjoy driving more than I would otherwise. Isn't that what features are about? Is anyone shooting a D30 with a kit lens?

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 14, 2014 13:53 |  #84

A camera doesn't make a person a better photographer, but a better camera makes it easier to produce better photos if it offers tools useful in achieving the images you desire.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 14, 2014 18:19 |  #85

Imagemaster wrote in post #17095026 (external link)
Really? There are a great many that would like a 7D to focus as well as a 1DX or 5D3.

I have owned all three and the 7D's inferior AF compared to the 1DX and 5D3 was not due to operator error. My 1D4 has better AF.

its really not a fair comparison to pitch a 7D against a 1D4/1Dx/5D3. I got a great many bird shots with my 450d/XSi before I upgraded to my 7D. AF and FPS are hugely beneficial but so is the photographers skill in anticipating the shot. I sometimes 'spray and prey' when birding but if you can't nail an action shot with the 7D's AF then its time to hang up your gloves...............

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sssc
572 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 14, 2014 20:13 |  #86

Luckless wrote in post #17096172 (external link)
A camera doesn't make a person a better photographer, but a better camera makes it easier to produce better photos if it offers tools useful in achieving the images you desire.

YAAAA :)

Keith-EOS R 7D MarkII EOS REBEL T2i 18-55,55-250.85 1/8. 100-400L. 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. 24-105mm f/4L IS,70-200 II,RF 24-105

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 15, 2014 09:14 |  #87

h14nha wrote in post #17096719 (external link)
its really not a fair comparison to pitch a 7D against a 1D4/1Dx/5D3. I got a great many bird shots with my 450d/XSi before I upgraded to my 7D. AF and FPS are hugely beneficial but so is the photographers skill in anticipating the shot. I sometimes 'spray and prey' when birding but if you can't nail an action shot with the 7D's AF then its time to hang up your gloves...............

There's two more points to add here. The 7D was several thousand dollars less than the 1DmkIV. Complaining that the AF isn't as good would be like me complaining that my Miata won't win in a race against a Ferrari. But it just stomped the heck out of the 5DII AF system. Some people appear to have had trouble with their 7D but that's not the experience with the average user. I had a problem a short while back, sent it in to Canon and it came back fixed. It's a great AF system. Going forward I would expect it to be even better. Maybe yet again somewhere between the 5D and the 1D as it was the last time.With fewer AF points of course being a crop camera and all.

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 15, 2014 14:43 |  #88

h14nha wrote in post #17094609 (external link)
Well I have been waiting to spend money on a 7D upgrade for 3 years. Yes I was/am happy with what I have, but I had money and fancied a new toy. So I waited, and waited and waited............ Rumour after rumour, possible release date after possible release date, I gave up and spent money in the pockets of Fuji instead. Too bad Canon. I'm not the only one, check out the Fuji and Sony threads, people have spent money in other directions, Canon is napping at present..............

Really? I mean I understand we all get the itch to buy things and have the money burning a hole in our pockets thing, but for me personally I would have just bought some good glass upgrades to tide me over.

EtherealZee wrote in post #17095520 (external link)
If that were my experience, I'd still have the 7D. As I said, I've used many other Canon DSLR's - 400D, 40D, 50D, 3 7D's, 5D, 5DII, 5DIII - only the 3 7D's had the AF issues which resulted in me triple shooting everything.

I spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the 7D AF, it just never seemed quite right. Perhaps I was unlucky with the 3 I bought (they were all 2nd hand), and were sold because of AF issues to begin with.

But hey, here's to hoping for an awesome new AF system...

Z...

I have had a very good hit rate with my 7D. I'm sure the MK2 will have a better system, but it's not a feature feel I just have to have now.

The perfect upgrade for me to my 7D is already out: the 5D3. I just can't afford it now and buying a 7d2 with another crop sensor to get me by, will only delay my longer term goal. I can't wait to see what Canon offers in a 7D2 and I think it’s going to be awesome, but I'm sticking with my 7Dc for a few years.

I can guaranty one aspect of the 7D2. It will not have as good of high ISO performance as all of the early 7D2 adaptors will claim and it will not nearly be as bad as all the Full framers trying to justify their spending on a FF body say it is.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2014 01:19 |  #89
bannedPermanent ban

Well here you go, here is the site claiming to know all the new specs (at least some) for the upcoming 7D2
http://www.kdramastars​.com …-mark-ii-release-date.htm (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 16, 2014 01:51 |  #90

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
No new sensor then. Have we waited years for a built in grip ? ? ?

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links

71,562 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.