Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2014 05:41 |  #91

h14nha wrote in post #17099321 (external link)
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
No new sensor then. Have we waited years for a built in grip ? ? ?

Sorry. The touch screen and wifi just don't fit the rest of the information floating around. And the 7D already shoots 8fps with a 23 shot RAW buffer so I'm confident in saying that they aren't going to give us 8fps with a 15 shot buffer.
Plus they put "it has been reported" which tells me that all they've done is slammed together a bunch of stuff from other sites and created some click-bait for themselves. No attempt to verify or correlate info between multiple sources. I'll stick with my predictions. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
Busted ­ Knuckles
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 16, 2014 07:00 |  #92

FWIIW, seems that the rumors are circling in on a
1 series style body/top plate, built grip, etc.
No tilty/swivel
No on board GPS/Wifi
Dual pixel AF (which means new sensor)
Faster FPS (guess in the 12 range)
and 20-24 MP

I have to admit, I have the T3i and the 5d3 and had handed off the t3i to my daughter for about a year, then borrowed it back for a super moon shoot that I wanted to have two bodies doing different things.

Surprise to me... the tilty swivel was just darn handy to have. Even started laughing at myself as to how quickly I used it in the set up and wished "the pro bodies" had it.

I may end up w/ th 70d if the 7 replacement isn't all that cool for the price. A "downsized" 1d with some updated "consumer bubble gum" features might get the job done, but it would have to pull out some magic from the 70d sensor to really win the day.

If you see me with a wrench - call 911. 5d3, T3i, 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 L II, 24-105 f4. YN 565, Precision Lupe attached to hacked extended eyecup (no sticky frame) - old enough to have owned an original F-1

jm4ever
848 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2014 07:39 |  #93

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17099293 (external link)
Well here you go, here is the site claiming to know all the new specs (at least some) for the upcoming 7D2
http://www.kdramastars​.com …-mark-ii-release-date.htm (external link)

Well I hope there's a bit more to it than this after all this time. A new sensor is an absolute must along with at least a 1 stop improvement in noise control. While I find the AF on my 7d quite good I would welcome a few more AF points. Since many use the 7d as a wildlife camera F8 AF is one feature I would surely hope is included.

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
2,705 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 16, 2014 12:05 |  #94

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17087756 (external link)
8+ fps & and a good implementation of auto-ISO and I would have gotten a 70D. I want an auto-ISO that can be set to account for the focal length of the attached lens. And I want it to be user-selectable to some multiples of focal length (1/FL, 2/FL?). Say I have a 35mm IS on, default minimum shutter should be 1/60 to 1/100. I change to a 200, it should automatically default to 1/200 - 1/400. Right now (on 6D), I set it to 1/30 with my 35, then mount a 200, the stupid camera stays a 1/30. I'd like to meet the rocket scientist who thought THAT was a good idea?

Rant complete. Please return to wishful thinking about the 7DII.

Have you tried shutter priority with auto-ISO? Set the shutter speed for the focal length and it negotiates the aperture first then ISO, plus allows EC (on the 7D at least). That, along with spot metering, works well for wildlife in mixed light.

Magic Lantern also has a lot of options.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships." Ansel Adams

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2014 02:06 |  #95

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17099293 (external link)
Well here you go, here is the site claiming to know all the new specs (at least some) for the upcoming 7D2
http://www.kdramastars​.com …-mark-ii-release-date.htm (external link)

Canon can release what it likes and hype up the viewfinder and inbuilt grip (which, to many people, is a turn-off rather than an attractive feature) all they like, but they won't be winning back any customers who have moved on until they release a better sensor.

And the lack of an improved sensor may well be the final straw that causes people who have been waiting for a 7D2 to abandon Canon entirely, since it will be years after that before any new model with a sensor would be released.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 17, 2014 04:42 |  #96

sssc wrote in post #17092434 (external link)
So I'll just come out and say it. $2400 is my personal limit. More than that and I'll just wait for an 80D

I'm waiting for the 6D2

Mahgnillig
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 17, 2014 14:30 |  #97

If it does end up having a built-in grip then Canon has pretty much guaranteed I won't be buying it. A massively bulky and heavy camera is not what I have in mind for replacing my rather long in the tooth XSi.

myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 17, 2014 14:57 |  #98

Making it gripped would certainly put quite a few people off. However I can't help but feel it'd result a clearer segment separation of the various lines. It certainly felt that they held stuff back from the 50D/60D just to justify the 7D. That wouldn't have to be the case if they went full-out on making the 7D a full pro-level crop. That would give more breathing room to make the 80D the best camera possible for people who don't need a 1D-X-with-a-APS-C-sensor.

Paul

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 17, 2014 15:27 |  #99

I must be one of the few that never use a grip ... it makes little sense to me, and adds weight. I carry a few extra batteries, and never have a problem with power. Takes a few seconds to change out -- Course, never need flash much either ... so that matters.

I'm seriously considering the new version of 7D (?) whatever Canon calls it. However, if it's gripped, it's dead for me -- not only do I dislike the look (yeah, what should that matter if it works well) but the feel, and the weight turns me off ... and I'm not a 'weak lightweight' either. I shoot now with a 5DM3 and 7D ... and will move up to the 7D (?) if it upgrades sensor and speed enough, and a better AF would be OK, although I don't have any problems with its AF now??

I'm expecting it to improve the sensor quite a bit, and if not, that will shut me off too. In addition, I have no use for video or WIFI or touch-screen, so if those are considered upgrades instead of sensor improvement, then it's not for me. Sensor improvement and AF will sell me, anything else instead will leave me satisfied with what I have now ...

I shoot sports and moving wildlife with the 7D, everything else (pretty much) with the 5DM3... as a general rule anyway.

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 17, 2014 16:05 as a reply to  @ monkey44's post |  #100

I have never thought about or felt the need to add a grip to any of my bodies. Plus if you want one, you could always add one, but you can't take it off if it's like a 1D series.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 17, 2014 17:21 |  #101

I don't understand why a grip turns so many people off. I would understand if the grip was like the add-on grip of the 7D because that things is a beast. But an integrated grip would be slimmer, shorter, and lighter than that. Do none of you shoot extended periods of time in portrait orientation? Does it not get uncomfortable after a time? It wears me out when I'm shooting continuously for long periods in portrait orientation without a grip.
It isn't about the extra battery for battery life really. On top of the orientation thing, a larger battery can power certain longer L lenses to AF faster than with the battery in the 5D3 or 7D. Plus an accessory grip compromises the weather sealing.
It just seems to me that as long as the grip doesn't get too big or add too much weight, it shouldn't be a problem for many people. And I really don't think people think of a 7D anyways when they want something small and light. And when it comes to sports and wildlife, you already have a big ol honkin lens on there and a little weight to the rear is beneficial.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 17, 2014 18:06 |  #102

It is possible to design an optional grip with weather sealing that would be just as good as with an integrated grip.

I leave the grip on my 7D 99% of the time or so, but it does get stripped down on a few rare occasions when I want to cut down every last ounce I can. (Longer hikes for example) To be that option is a major feature that is important to me, and something that I view as a drawback to the 1D series of bodies.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 17, 2014 21:39 |  #103

As a travel photographer (mostly landscapes, also some wildlife, architectural and cultural shots) inbuilt grips are a curse.

They don't let me do anything that the basic camera doesn't allow me to do, weigh an extra half a kilo and take up valuable space (all of which has to come from hand luggage allowances).

If I need more battery life, I can carry extra batteries.

You can always add a grip on to a gripless body. You can't saw it off a body with an integrated grip.

dunners
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 18, 2014 00:23 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #104

As a travel photographer (mostly landscapes, also some wildlife, architectural and cultural shots) inbuilt grips are a curse.

I find that so funny as thats exactly what I use my camera for and im the opposite I love the battery grip (in fact i have never removed it since adding it on a couple of years ago).

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 18, 2014 00:46 |  #105

Hmm not to sure on the grip part. It would seem like new camera range than a update to an existing range.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

sponsored links

71,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.