Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 10 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MPE65 or 100 Marco?

EricTober
67 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 10, 2014 21:27 |  #1

I'm looking to take the plunge but do not which way to go. Pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

Canon 5D mkiii . Canon 24-70 f4 . Canon 100-400 f4-5.6 . Canon 85 f1.8

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,306 posts
Gallery: 286 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 10, 2014 21:51 |  #2

They are quite different animals. The 100 macro is a great general purpose macro that goes to 1:1 and can also be used for general photography. Working distance is short (around 150mm or 6" at 1:1) but OK for many subjects.

The 65mm STARTS at 1:1 and then goes to ever higher magnification. Working distance is 100mm (~4") at 1:1 and shrinks fast at the higher magnifications. You can still do live bugs with this lens at 1:1 and a bit higher, but it is hard. Once you get past around 2X, it is difficult to light your subject and focus on it, if you can even find your subject. DOF is very thin.

To get the most out of the 65mm, you should work indoors with a motionless subject using a focusing rail and bright lights. Do focus stacking to get better DOF.

You can still get interesting results hand-held outdoors but you will probably need the twin or ring flash. Most of us working this way use the twin flash and make diffusers to get a better quality of light.

So I suggest you get the 100mm initially, and consider the 65mm later if you want to go beyond 1:1. The 65mm is much harder to use and may require additional gear ($$), but with persistence can give really neat results.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,048 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 10, 2014 22:26 |  #3

TBH, the fact that you ask this question implies that you're totally not ready for the MPE65 yet. Stick with the 100.

Kurt
Upcoming Borneo Herp Tour: Nov 4, 2018; Jan 20, June 23, Nov 17, 2019
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 4, 2018 (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 11, 2014 02:44 |  #4

IMHO if you are thinking about shooting above 1x the best starter lens is the EF-S 60mm. It loses focal length at 1x and is about a 37mm lens (only takes 37mm of extension to get to 2x) and as long as you have at least 12mm of extension on it you can use it on any Canon camera. I do not recommend the MP-E 65mm as a first macro lens -the learning curve is very steep...

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

DQE
168 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 11, 2014 14:44 |  #5

If you do decide to take the plunge with the MP-E lens, I recommend using a small high-intensity LED flashlight in your left hand to provide enough light to focus at mags above about 2-3x.

I hold it next to my lens with my left hand, and with just a little practice it becomes second nature to aim the light at the subject while looking through the optical viewfinder of a DSLR. Some people prefer the focus-assist lights of the MT-24 flash.

I don't personally like a ring flash for bugs since they create (IMO) weird-looking ring-shaped reflections in spider eyes (esp jumping spiders). Also, some people find ring flash light to be too flat for anything except subjects like postage stamps.

Good luck with your quest. I enjoy both my 100mm Canon macro lens and my MP-E! They mostly solve mostly different problems in macro photography.

--Phil
Canon gear: 5D MkII, 5D, MPE-65, 100 mm 2.8 macro, 85 mm f1.2 L, 16-35 mm f2.8, 24-105 mm L, MT-24, MR-14; 550EX flash (2 units); Gitzo 2548 tripod; Gitzo monopod; Acratech Ultimate Ballhead; Manfrotto 410 geared tripod head; Cognisys StackShot rail & controller

devil350
906 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2014 08:35 |  #6

Like the others I'll advice you to go for the 100mm first.
The MP-E 65 is not an easy lens to start with.

Good luck.

Regards,
Laurent.

MY Gear List | My Gallery (external link)

rasseru
110 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 19, 2014 09:36 |  #7

i would have loved a mpe65, but went with the 100mm canon macro due to advice (and funds!). it really does help having the extra distance to not scare the bugs away!

im upgrading the flash and some getting some tubes. really really happy with this advice given to me here :] (yes im newb)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,283 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 19, 2014 09:50 as a reply to  @ rasseru's post |  #8

Start with the 100, and get a set of extension tubes. You can use various combinations for added magnification, up to 2:1. A flash is very useful for macro, especially if you do end up getting tubes.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
4,440 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 25, 2014 14:47 |  #9

rasseru wrote in post #17105260 (external link)
i would have loved a mpe65, but went with the 100mm canon macro due to advice (and funds!). it really does help having the extra distance to not scare the bugs away!

im upgrading the flash and some getting some tubes. really really happy with this advice given to me here :] (yes im newb)

...I do all of my insect macro with the EF-S 60mm + tubes and the MPE-65mm...

IMHO working distance works against you since you really need to get your flash as close to the subject as possible (to freeze motion and to get good diffusion). Do you really think that the working distance of a 100mm lens (~6") compared to the working distance of a 60mm lens (~4") really means anything to an insect? You're still going to be large in its field of view. So it's really the insect, and your knowledge of its habits and quirks, that are going to determine if you get the shot...

Taken with the MP-E 65mm a t a working distance of about 3.5"

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3895/14601028789_a8cbc8b272_b.jpg

Anyone who tells you that you need a lot of working distance to shoot insects is still a newb...

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links

2,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
MPE65 or 100 Marco?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.