Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2014 (Tuesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Criticizing the competition

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:00 |  #16

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #17091915 (external link)
Wow. I've honestly noticed this from a lot of photographers who are "getting up there" in age. They think that because we don't have our own dark rooms and spend hours developing our film we have no place in the business. We are "craigslist", or "instagram" photographers. To me, these type of people no longer have a place in the business, because they are unwilling to change and adapt to where the business is at. This specific example of criticism seems especially unnecessary, since these photographers are two completely different genres. One appears to be a street and still life photographer, and the other is a family and newborn photographer (rated best in Las Vegas by CBS News I might add, hardly CL material). This would be like bluegrass guitar player criticizing Jimmy hendrix for using pedals that changed the stock sound of his guitar.

I just can't get over them criticizing for digital manipulation. Ansel Adams heavily altered his photos in the darkroom.

Now, you can go too far with post processing, but that's another issue.

Gear List

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,439 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 12, 2014 17:03 |  #17

benji25 wrote in post #17091857 (external link)
Not to mention I can't get his portfolio to load. That could be me though because I am at work and on internet explorer which is a PoS.

Consider yourself lucky. His "work" is godawful.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,439 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 12, 2014 17:05 |  #18

Numenorean wrote in post #17091935 (external link)
I just can't get over them criticizing for digital manipulation. Ansel Adams heavily altered his photos in the darkroom.

Now, you can go too far with post processing, but that's another issue.

Yeah, but the thing is that he himself is photoshopping the hell out of his pics. Except he gets it all wrong. No wonder he's so jealous.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 12, 2014 17:07 |  #19

benji25 wrote in post #17091889 (external link)
Casper?

edit: I guess casperetta in this case.

Funny. Must ETTR.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 12, 2014 17:15 |  #20

benji25 wrote in post #17091857 (external link)
What he thinks client's priorities are in picking a photographer:

1. Nostalgia
2. Advanced concepts of post processing
3. How it was done in the past
4. His opinion on other photographers
5. "Pure" photography (whatever that is?)
6. How much work other photographers "crank out"
7. etc. etc. etc.

What the clients ACTUAL priorities are:
1. Do I like their portfolio?
2. Can I afford them?

Not to mention I can't get his portfolio to load. That could be me though because I am at work and on internet explorer which is a PoS.

It took my forever too. I would have left if I were a potential client. :cool:

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 12, 2014 17:17 |  #21

My mother always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your mouth shut". ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:18 |  #22

Hikin Mike wrote in post #17091965 (external link)
It took my forever too. I would have left if I were a potential client. :cool:

The website is pretty bad and takes forever to load photos, but they eventually do load...right before crashing the tab.

Gear List

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 12, 2014 17:24 |  #23

One person has vision, the other person doesn't. The person who has no vision is jealous of the person who has vision and a successful business.

By the way, there are plenty of us old farts who came up in the film business that have adapted to digital without the loss of our skills or wits. That guy who wrote the diatribe, the one with no vision. He's a lot younger than me.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,992 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 12, 2014 17:26 |  #24

joeblack2022 wrote in post #17091805 (external link)
A photographer (who happens to be a forum member) was openly criticized by another photographer . . .

Wow. Even with the photos removed, the writer's descriptions leave no doubt about who the criticized photographer is.

The classic B&W images near the end have no credit lines. Did the poster have permission to reproduce these?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 12, 2014 17:30 |  #25

OhLook wrote in post #17091988 (external link)
Wow. Even with the photos removed, the writer's descriptions leave no doubt about who the criticized photographer is.

The classic B&W images near the end have no credit lines. Did the poster have permission to reproduce these?

None of those black and whites were classics. With one exception they were mundane setups. Classic is Karsh, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Ansel Adams, Alfred Stieglitz, etc.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:34 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Like any potential client is gonna actually read such a long diatribe.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 12, 2014 17:42 as a reply to  @ post 17091923 |  #27

someone doesn't take their own critiques. every single image on that site is over-processed.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

Moselem
51 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:43 |  #28

OhLook wrote in post #17091988 (external link)

I emailed Meg when I saw her photos on his post. He's now mentioning how the photographer "whined" about him using her images without permission.

Josh Patterson Photography
Burbank Portrait and Headshot Photographer (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:48 |  #29

Moselem wrote in post #17092017 (external link)
I emailed Meg when I saw her photos on his post. He's now mentioning how the photographer "whined" about him using her images without permission.

Who is Meg? I thought those photos were someone elses.

Gear List

Moselem
51 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 12, 2014 17:51 |  #30

Numenorean wrote in post #17092034 (external link)
Who is Meg? I thought those photos were someone elses.

Meg Bitton was the photographer he was calling out for not having a formal education: http://www.megbitton.c​om/ (external link) The "oversaturated" shot of the girl and red rocks and the one he posted below that.

Josh Patterson Photography
Burbank Portrait and Headshot Photographer (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

18,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
Criticizing the competition
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.