Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

nprotz
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 17, 2015 17:07 |  #766

So since it's best to use the Yn622 triggers on both the camera and light for reliability, can you also use a Yongnuo flash with this setup and control it's power from the camera?

Would it work in high speed sync along with the Rovelight?

Can you use the YN-622n TX with the rovelight?

sponsored links
PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 17, 2015 19:52 |  #767

I'm about to purchase some TTL triggers for HSS with the Rovelight.

Will there be any functional difference between the cells II triggers and the YN 622 for Nikon? Ie, are there any functions of the YN 622n that I may be missing with the cells in the future?

If not I think I will just take the cells because of the price.

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by gremlin75.

Aug 17, 2015 21:12 |  #768

digitalduck wrote in post #17672742 (external link)
And just like that "Rovelight 600 One sale $479.95" at Adorama.... Pulled the trigger!! It was $599 this morning still :)

Yeah it just randomly does that. Have to keep an eye on it and snatch one up when they drop.

mpstan
299 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 18, 2015 23:59 |  #769

I've searched but not found: the proper sync cord for connecting a Yongnuo YN622C to a Rovelight: can someone please provide a link?

Thx

5D Mk 3/// Canon 70-200 f/4L /// Canon 24mm 2.8 ///Sigma 85 1.4 ART ///Sigma 35 1.4 ART/// Godox AD360/// Flashpoint Li-Ion x 2
//Manfrotto 055XPRO /// Manfrotto 498 RC2 Ballhead///Jinbei HD-600///

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 19, 2015 00:14 |  #770

I believe this is the one I use.
http://www.amazon.com …dio-Strobes/dp/B007KA3LQS (external link)

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 19, 2015 01:00 |  #771

Rovelight RL600 owners... how is color consistency on this strobe?

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 19, 2015 01:31 |  #772

PhilF wrote in post #17674544 (external link)
Rovelight RL600 owners... how is color consistency on this strobe?

Hey Phil,
I think you were asking about HSS consistency? I pretty much shoot most all of my dance stuff at full power and HSS and if I'm properly exposed then the colour is nearly spot on but if I underexpose at all then I get a magenta shift. All my lights are Flashpoint and they behave the same way so I don't really worry about it as a global correction fixes it easily. This is for studio stuff only though. I haven't shot much with it outdoors yet.

~Steve~

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 19, 2015 04:30 |  #773

Anyone here use their PCB VML charger to charge the Rovelight? Same connectors and same output ~ 16.8V and 3A.
Nice to have a spare charger for the spare battery.

~Steve~

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 19, 2015 13:51 |  #774

Just ordered mine last night.

I'm really excited about not having to carry a power cord and a battery pack with me.

I already have an arsenal of YN622-C's with a few sync port cables. Is that all I need to trigger the flash in HSS mode? I was reading through the entire thread and was confused why people needed to put the rovelight trigger on a cold shoe onto a YN622. Is that so you can control the power remotely or MUST you do that to trigger above 1/500 HSS?

I can't wait to not have to balance the SS to 1/160 or under with my 6D. I absolutely love the results you guys have been posting shooting >1/2000th @ 2.8.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,405 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2015 14:03 |  #775

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];17675244']Ju​st ordered mine last night.

I'm really excited about not having to carry a power cord and a battery pack with me.

I already have an arsenal of YN622-C's with a few sync port cables. Is that all I need to trigger the flash in HSS mode? I was reading through the entire thread and was confused why people needed to put the rovelight trigger on a cold shoe onto a YN622. Is that so you can control the power remotely or MUST you do that to trigger above 1/500 HSS?

I can't wait to not have to balance the SS to 1/160 or under with my 6D. I absolutely love the results you guys have been posting shooting >1/2000th @ 2.8.

Heya,

I too was tired of dealing with ND filters at the strength I was needing for Florida sun (to be able to use F1.4, F2, F2.8), it was getting to be too much, and the speedlites just couldn't begin to touch that sun. So it was time for something with serious output that was still very portable.

Yeap, one sync port cable to the YN622 and into the back of the Rovelight and you're set. You don't even have to use the stock transmitter. It's only good really for remote changing of power levels anyways. Just read the manual on how to put the unit (the Rovelight) into HSS and you're good to go. You do not need a cold shoe or any of that. I still remotely control the power from the transmitter (the stock one). I just put it in my pocket and use it when I need to. Otherwise, all I use is the YN622 on my camera and the YN622 + sync cable to the Rovelight. Nothing else. Does HSS like a dream, and mine does 1/8000s HSS no problem.

Maybe in the future, Adorama will do what Jenbei is doing and put out a second version of the transmitter. Or in the future, something straight up better in general that can trigger, control power, etc, and not be a cheap little generic transmitter, but something of quality & substance. I'd buy one then and be good to go. Until then, YN622's do everything beautifully.

While the concept of needing no wires, no external packs, etc, was true, I ultimately added a little "wire & pack" to my Rovelight via the YN622 + cable. But, it still doesn't have stuff flying around or hanging. I attached it with a velcro pad so I can take it on and off and it's secure while shooting. I'm still happy not having all the external stuff.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5784/20091852063_c3ab244314_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wBrZ​Ct  (external link) IMG_8275_marked (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by elv.

Aug 19, 2015 14:04 |  #776

Placing the Rovelight transmitter on a cold shoe, then connected to the YN-622X transmitter, only removes the need for an external YN-622C receiver to be attached to the Rovelight.

Unfortunately the current Rovelight / Jinbei transmitter has often prooved to be unreliable in firing the flash consistently anyway. So as others have mentioned its often better to use YN-622C transmitter and receivers to fire the flash.

Remote power control with the Rovelight / Jinbe transmitter is less critical to responding instantly every time when needed (like a transmitter used to fire the flash in sync with the camera).

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by [Hyuni].

Aug 19, 2015 15:13 |  #777

MalVeauX wrote in post #17675253 (external link)
Heya,

I too was tired of dealing with ND filters at the strength I was needing for Florida sun (to be able to use F1.4, F2, F2.8), it was getting to be too much, and the speedlites just couldn't begin to touch that sun. So it was time for something with serious output that was still very portable.

Yeap, one sync port cable to the YN622 and into the back of the Rovelight and you're set. You don't even have to use the stock transmitter. It's only good really for remote changing of power levels anyways. Just read the manual on how to put the unit (the Rovelight) into HSS and you're good to go. You do not need a cold shoe or any of that. I still remotely control the power from the transmitter (the stock one). I just put it in my pocket and use it when I need to. Otherwise, all I use is the YN622 on my camera and the YN622 + sync cable to the Rovelight. Nothing else. Does HSS like a dream, and mine does 1/8000s HSS no problem.

Maybe in the future, Adorama will do what Jenbei is doing and put out a second version of the transmitter. Or in the future, something straight up better in general that can trigger, control power, etc, and not be a cheap little generic transmitter, but something of quality & substance. I'd buy one then and be good to go. Until then, YN622's do everything beautifully.

While the concept of needing no wires, no external packs, etc, was true, I ultimately added a little "wire & pack" to my Rovelight via the YN622 + cable. But, it still doesn't have stuff flying around or hanging. I attached it with a velcro pad so I can take it on and off and it's secure while shooting. I'm still happy not having all the external stuff.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wBrZ​Ct  (external link) IMG_8275_marked (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

Thank you for the very informative post! I'm even more excited to play around with it now!

Sure beats compromising with the power, SS, and light quality from a speed light...

Here's a few I took with my speedlight. I hope I'll be able to get much better photos with the RL!

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/523/18255276828_1dfe19987e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/tPa4​Nd  (external link) Canyonlands National Park (external link) by John Cho (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8856/17822408893_041c06b3da_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/t9Uv​eX  (external link) Canyonlands National Park (external link) by John Cho (external link), on Flickr

Also, it's great to hear we can keep the trigger in our pocket to remotely change the power. It's tedious to go back and forth adjusting the power! I've been spoiled by the YN622-TX already!

elv wrote in post #17675254 (external link)
Placing the Rovelight transmitter on a cold shoe, then connected to the YN-622X transmitter, only removes the need for an external YN-622C receiver to be attached to the Rovelight.

Unfortunately the current Rovelight / Jinbei transmitter has often prooved to be unreliable in firing the flash consistently anyway. So as others have mentioned its often better to use YN-622C transmitter and receivers to fire the flash.

Remote power control with the Rovelight / Jinbe transmitter is less critical to responding instantly every time when needed (like a transmitter used to fire the flash in sync with the camera).

Excellent. Thank you! I've read extensively about the RL and the terrible quality of the transmitter. haha Thankfully I have 3 YN622's and a YN622-TX which will serve me well!

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 19, 2015 15:33 |  #778

MalVeauX wrote in post #17675253 (external link)
Heya,

QUOTED IMAGE

Very best,

Which cable is that? The cable is not included in this set? I don't think so as I don't see it listed.
http://www.adorama.com​/ynyn622n.html (external link)

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,405 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2015 15:52 |  #779

PECE Photo wrote in post #17675368 (external link)
Which cable is that? The cable is not included in this set? I don't think so as I don't see it listed.
http://www.adorama.com​/ynyn622n.html (external link)

It's a generic pc sync cable. Link from Amazon ($7?). (external link) And here's one by Yongnuo that is cheaper actually, hah (Amazon). (external link)

Copper is copper. :)

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];17675342']Th​ank you for the very informative post! I'm even more excited to play around with it now!

Sure beats compromising with the power, SS, and light quality from a speed light...

Here's a few I took with my speedlight. I hope I'll be able to get much better photos with the RL!

In those images, the speedlite did plenty of work. The difference between a lot of lights and how it effects lighting in your photo is actually the modifier and placement and how close it is. With a big 60" reflector, you can easily take the Rovelight on a stand to a location like that and get better quality light. But personally if I were going to a remote hike location like that, I'd probably have used a speedlite with umbrella myself.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by digitalduck.

Aug 19, 2015 15:57 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #780

MalVeaux (or anyone) but you I think said you had a shoot through but also a 48" Octo.. since ive never owned a "non umbrella" softbox would you recommend I spring extra for the umbrella style for space that that i may get sick of assembling/tear down of the box, or is it not that bad? I would imagine fully assembled you cant leave it around, especially if space was tight... I do want to get a larger 48" suitable for two people, but should I just spring for the umbrella style and skip the hassle?

http://www.amazon.com …cr_pr_product_t​op?ie=UTF8 (external link)

Thanks!

sponsored links

444,257 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.