Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 23, 2015 22:50 |  #811

digitalduck wrote in post #17680246 (external link)
These are my first attempts, literally, with my Rovelight. I just received it Wednesday and this thing is a beast. I also picked up a 48' Octo and so far love the quality of light. I just need to work on placement of light compared to power output to get the best overall result. I shot everything at 2.8 and have been trying to keep shutter around 1000-2000. A few questions:

1. I know my light meter cant snyc above 1000 to determine my aperture (flash power) but really if I am trying to get 2.8, does that really matter? If im at 2000 shutter speed, but meter only goes to 1000, is it still giving me an accurate reading of 2.8? On the flip side, I know i can just determine my shutter speed and then season to taste with my flash by shooting a test and seeing where I need to go from there.

I know there are other shots on this thread that have models full length portrait and others and they look fantastic, i really think it has a lot to do with available light (golden hour) as well utilizing HSS....in the right way.

2. I did get about 3 pics where it looked like the shutter was still giving me a bank in the upper quarter of the frame and my SS was around 2000 plus I was in HSS on both camera and RL.... thoughts as to why I would still see the shutter?

QUOTED IMAGE

Canon 60D
1/2000
Tamron 70-200 2.8
QUOTED IMAGE

Canon 60D
1/800
Sigma 17059 2.8

QUOTED IMAGE

Canon 60D
1/1600
Tamron 70-200 2.8
QUOTED IMAGE

Canon 60D
1/1000
Tamron 70-200 2.8

Nice. What Octobox did you end up getting?

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

sponsored links
digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by digitalduck.

Aug 23, 2015 23:02 as a reply to  @ PECE Photo's post |  #812

Thanks Pece, it was the fotodiox pro, its a beast, looking forward to using it!

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by OceanRipple*. (3 edits in all)

Aug 24, 2015 05:37 as a reply to  @ post 17680246 |  #813

Tx for sharing your photos - they look great.

Can't explain the variable 1/4 frame shutter - unless HS on the Rovelight takes longer than usual for a complete re-cycle.

re an external flashmeter . . . my L358 goes up to 1/1000 in cordless flash, but I guess that was designed around leaf shutters offering 1/500 or slightly faster. Using a Speedlite at 1/1 to emulate a long burn Strobe (like the Rovelight), my L358 gave different Ap readings even as my flash was unchanged, as I dialled up the meter's SS (pre-measurement). 1/2000 & higher are not available to me. In the end, every Long burn Strobe V V your individual flash meter might handle things differently. Experience & the histogram will win out - hopefully. Your last in that series looks perfectly exposed to my eye/monitor. Cheers

Edit: Preliminary testing suggests that my L358 set to 1/1000, Speedlite doing an early trigger / long burn, does not reflect what the camera's sensor captures. Maybe not surprising as much of the early flash burn energy will be wasted. What have others found from their meters with their Rovelights doing High Shutter speed shooting?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by bobbyz.

Aug 24, 2015 09:46 |  #814

Like i said before you can't meter long flash duration burn tricks. If flash was pulsing like in HSS then yes you can meter it as long as ss is within limits of the light meter.

Un-even exposure particularly at the top are another issue with the long flash duration and how early the shutter opens. I would play with the settings other folks are using for their full length shots and go from there.

I am hoping some day we have CMOS sensors with max sync speed of atleast 1/1000 but it seems progress on that side has been almost non-existant so far.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

gsphotography
47 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 25, 2015 01:05 |  #815

Does anyone know if I can use the YN-E3-RX on the Rovelight 600B? I have a YN-E3-RT for my camera that I use with a YN600ex flash, but I was wondering if I buy the YN-E3-RX receiver to use with the Rovelight, will it be able to do HSS or HyperSync on the Rovelight?

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Aug 25, 2015 05:37 as a reply to  @ gsphotography's post |  #816

Hi, Elv on Flashhavoc said:

' .. The pre sync signal comes through the PC sync port on the YNE3-RX receiver .. "

so . . . it should work - but - I'm not a user . . .

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2015 09:40 |  #817

MalVeauX wrote in post #17675253 (external link)
Maybe in the future, Adorama will do what Jenbei is doing and put out a second version of the transmitter. .....

;-)a hmmmmm....

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 26, 2015 10:56 |  #818

HelenOster wrote in post #17682286 (external link)
;-)a hmmmmm....

It would be really, really nice and market-moving, if there was a transmitting that showed the current power level and allowed triggering, HSS and power level management (and being able to see the power level) on a transmitter. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Dreamz
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 26, 2015 11:26 |  #819

gsphotography wrote in post #17681971 (external link)
Does anyone know if I can use the YN-E3-RX on the Rovelight 600B? I have a YN-E3-RT for my camera that I use with a YN600ex flash, but I was wondering if I buy the YN-E3-RX receiver to use with the Rovelight, will it be able to do HSS or HyperSync on the Rovelight?

YN-E3-RX works perfect with the combination of YN-E3-RT on 5D Mark III....i am using 4 YN-E3-RX - 2 on Rovie 600 and 2 on 1220M...

HSS sync mode works good too....make sure you have the latest firmware on YN-E3-RT

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 26, 2015 11:40 |  #820

MalVeauX wrote in post #17683686 (external link)
It would be really, really nice and market-moving, if there was a transmitting that showed the current power level and allowed triggering, HSS and power level management (and being able to see the power level) on a transmitter. ;)

Very best,

So basically the YN622-TX

In addition, I would want two extra things.

Trigger using AA or AAA's as the batteries. The disc batteries are expensive and hard to come by.
Some sort of hotshoe to attach another trigger for my YN622's to trigger hairlight or a fill light.

The only reason I would buy the dedicated trigger is to get the pesky YN622 receiver in the sync port and cluttering up the strobe. If it's more than $50, I would probably not get one.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

gsphotography
47 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 26, 2015 11:55 |  #821

Dreamz wrote in post #17683719 (external link)
YN-E3-RX works perfect with the combination of YN-E3-RT on 5D Mark III....i am using 4 YN-E3-RX - 2 on Rovie 600 and 2 on 1220M...

HSS sync mode works good too....make sure you have the latest firmware on YN-E3-RT

Thanks for the reply! Just ordered the YN-E3-RX!

MalVeauX
13,283 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 26, 2015 18:44 |  #822

[Hyuni wrote:
='[Hyuni];17683733']So basically the YN622-TX

In addition, I would want two extra things.

Trigger using AA or AAA's as the batteries. The disc batteries are expensive and hard to come by.
Some sort of hotshoe to attach another trigger for my YN622's to trigger hairlight or a fill light.

The only reason I would buy the dedicated trigger is to get the pesky YN622 receiver in the sync port and cluttering up the strobe. If it's more than $50, I would probably not get one.

Essentially yes :)

Very best,

elv
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by elv.

Aug 27, 2015 01:00 |  #823

HelenOster wrote in post #17682286 (external link)
;-)a hmmmmm....

MalVeauX wrote in post #17683686 (external link)

Very best,

Before anyone gets their hopes up further, it appears the "new" transmitter will be just the old transmitter with a larger power amplifier added to increase range and reliability. No other features added unfortunately.

Hopefully this is still a good improvement, though I get the impression there are likely more flaky components in the current transmitter than just the amplifier, so I guess we will see how this plays out over time.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Aug 27, 2015 07:48 as a reply to  @ elv's post |  #824

Is this the V version you are referring to? What about the TR-A6 development?

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

MalVeauX
13,283 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 27, 2015 07:53 |  #825

elv wrote in post #17684520 (external link)
Before anyone gets their hopes up further, it appears the "new" transmitter will be just the old transmitter with a larger power amplifier added to increase range and reliability. No other features added unfortunately.

Hopefully this is still a good improvement, though I get the impression there are likely more flaky components in the current transmitter than just the amplifier, so I guess we will see how this plays out over time.

Heya,

Of course, but I'm not hoping for it. I know a really good transmitter with remote power control that you can see on the transmitter isn't coming. I just really want one, maybe a 3rd party will make one. But probably not since it would be very specific to this model. Then again, if the unit gets popular enough, maybe there will be something in the future.

Right now I'm perfectly content with using YN622c's instead of the stock transmitter. My only addition would be to see the remote power level changes (such as with the TX622). If that were even possible.

Very best,

sponsored links

440,330 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.