Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

elv
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 27, 2015 08:41 |  #826

amirg wrote in post #17684755 (external link)
Is this the V version you are referring to? What about the TR-A6 development?

No I'm referring to the updated transmitter coming shortly for the Flashpoint RoveLights.

The V version and the TR-A6 are no longer compatible with the current Rovelights. Jinbei are still working on those, no doubt developing the pre-sync signal is holding them up still.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links
pinolero ­ newbie
408 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 27, 2015 15:36 |  #827

MalVeauX wrote in post #17684758 (external link)
maybe a 3rd party will make one.

Does anyone know if the announced Godox - X1-C will be compatible with the RL600?

Looking at you Elv. ;-)a

Gear List
Feedback

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*. (2 edits in all)

Aug 27, 2015 16:22 as a reply to  @ pinolero newbie's post |  #828

In the same sense that Odins & Yn622s are compatible - it should be.

So you'd need a Godox X1 receiver - then it will trigger and offer the early signal required for High-Shutter-Speed use.

My 600V arrived today and I'm getting used to triggering with my Odins - but saving a little by using a Strato II Rx (obeys early Odin signal when needed) on the 600V. It's all good . . .

Edit: 1/8000th & remote M fraction setting with the 'V' sender in my pocket . . . lovin' it, so far!

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 28, 2015 20:59 |  #829

Lit this with the rove this week. Client liked it and will be more to come in the series. Rove been working like a champ for months now. Doesn't miss a beat.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 29, 2015 04:15 |  #830

PECE Photo wrote in post #17687008 (external link)
Lit this with the rove this week. Client liked it and will be more to come in the series. Rove been working like a champ for months now. Doesn't miss a beat.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by PECE Photo in
./showthread.php?p=176​87008&i=i159188853
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Even I like it. ;-)a

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 29, 2015 11:03 |  #831

Heya,

Two setups, trying to see which I like best involving the Rovelight.

Rovelight 600B (in HSS mode, at 1/4 and 1/2 power where noted)
Yongnuo YN622c (on camera & one via pc sync cable on Rovelight)
Cheetahstand Boom Stand + Counter Weight Bag (Water bottles in there)
36" x 24" cheap Neewer White Reflector on generic Impact stand with clamps as a bounce surface
Canon 5Dc + Tamron 90mm F2.8 VC @ 1/2000s F2.8 ISO 100 for all shots.
Ambient was less than Sunny 16, it's over cast. Was easy to knock down ambient with 1/2000s.
Fotodiox EZpro 48" Octa (1)
Impact 60" Silver Lined Black Backed Umbrella (2) (used as a bounce surface)

Setup 1:

48" Octa Softbox (everything else the same as mentioned above).
Rovelight at 1/4 power in HSS.
1/2000s, F2.8, ISO 100.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5684/20358701463_17cfdd2098_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/x22E​Ec  (external link) IMG_8331 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5681/20792981659_2a29ed5ebb_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xFpt​2M  (external link) IMG_4953 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Setup 2:

60" Umbrella (bounce surface) (everything else the same as mentioned above).
Rovelight at 1/2 power in HSS.
1/2000s, F2.8, ISO 100.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/650/20358694283_bd5f4d2e94_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/x22C​wp  (external link) IMG_8332 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5669/20953508446_68d13bc4a4_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/xVAd​41  (external link) IMG_4961 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Overall, I feel they are quite similar in terms of light. I get more spread and wrap and more surrounding area covered in light with the 60" umbrella as a bounce surface, which would make sense. The 48" Octa gives more light for the power setting, and controls spill better so that only where it's aimed is exposed. Noteworthy difference in foreground shows that difference pretty well.

The question is... is the subject light that much different?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 30, 2015 16:22 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #832

Rove with HSS deployed. I think this was 1/4000, f/4.2, iso 200.

The performance was ok for me, I think I prefer ND filters myself. I was noticing some pretty severe gradients. I'll have to try it again soon.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

mpstan
298 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 30, 2015 17:07 as a reply to  @ PECE Photo's post |  #833

FWIW I like it. Good balance of subject and ambient. Did you use a light meter? May I ask what power you think you were at? Modifier: distance, type?

Thanks

5D Mk 3/// Canon 70-200 f/4L /// Canon 24mm 2.8 ///Sigma 85 1.4 ART ///Sigma 35 1.4 ART/// Godox AD360/// Flashpoint Li-Ion x 2
//Manfrotto 055XPRO /// Manfrotto 498 RC2 Ballhead///Jinbei HD-600///

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Aug 30, 2015 20:25 |  #834

Thanks.

I was at full power. No light meter. A 36 inch soft box was pointed down at him from about four feet above his head.

BlazingSkies
109 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 31, 2015 02:24 |  #835

Does anyone have a OVERHEAT problem with the Rovelight? I was shooting at full power HSS for quite a bit but not even a full battery worth and it started to show "OH" "OT" on the LCD in which I would reset the strobe and then get around 3-5 more pops until it did the same thing again... sigh

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 31, 2015 02:28 |  #836

BlazingSkies wrote in post #17689546 (external link)
Does anyone have a OVERHEAT problem with the Rovelight? I was shooting at full power HSS for quite a bit but not even a full battery worth and it started to show "OH" "OT" on the LCD in which I would reset the strobe and then get around 3-5 more pops until it did the same thing again... sigh

Strange I've never gotten that and I shoot an entire session of dancers at full power as soon as it recycles.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

MalVeauX
13,159 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 31, 2015 02:28 |  #837

BlazingSkies wrote in post #17689546 (external link)

Nope,

I use mine in 95 degree Florida heat & humidity with direct sun light on it. No problem. Granted, I haven't used it continuously for 2+ hours before either. Most of my use has been 30~45 minutes tops, mostly at full power, always in HSS (it stays in HSS, always). I wouldn't be surprised if I managed to use it for 2+ hours in direct sunlight that it might overheat without a significant breeze to ventilate the thing. When I'm not using it or I'm moving, I cover from direct sun to avoid it getting heated up like an oven and uncover it when I'm ready to use it.

Very best,

BlazingSkies
109 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Aug 31, 2015 02:30 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #838

The shoot wasn't even an hour... it started overheating around 30-45 minutes. What should I do?

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by PECE Photo. (2 edits in all)

Aug 31, 2015 02:38 |  #839

Yeah I shot mine it was sitting in direct sun for an hour full power hss never had a problem.

The only thing I wasn't happy with were the recycling times. I'll try the fast mode next time I just have not shot a portrait for a long time so I had forgotten about this function.

Contact Helen. They are under warranty.

I'm already thinking about getting another one of these units. If I didn't already have so much equipment to buy as it is.

MalVeauX
13,159 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 31, 2015 03:04 |  #840

BlazingSkies wrote in post #17689552 (external link)
The shoot wasn't even an hour... it started overheating around 30-45 minutes. What should I do?

Heya,

Not sure, sounds like something is not correct though. I would begin the RMA process for a new unit. I had to get a 2nd unit because my first one was DOA after the first fire up. Returned it, got another, and it's been ace. But that's why I bought it at Adorama to have their customer service and warranty and all that.

Give Adorama a call. Their Flashpoint tech person will video chat with you to figure it out, and if can't figure it out will push the RMA through so you can get another unit.

Very best,

sponsored links

427,404 views & 480 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.