Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

Ryan7
48 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 22, 2015 12:52 |  #1246

cutwater wrote in post #17828623 (external link)
Yes, you should get the V2 trigger. It will say V2 on the trigger package and the battery door of the trigger. If for some reason you get the older style, Adorama will upgrade it, just ask.

Thanks for the info cutwater.

The Strato II does not do HSS but maybe it works with Hypersync which is what the RL uses?

sponsored links
KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 22, 2015 13:07 |  #1247

Ryan7 wrote in post #17828665 (external link)
Thanks for the info cutwater.

The Strato II does not do HSS but maybe it works with Hypersync which is what the RL uses?

That's a good point, Hypersync is different and I was googling HSS...that may be the key...

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*. (4 edits in all)

Dec 22, 2015 13:22 |  #1248

cutwater wrote in post #17828620 (external link)
Hey Ocean Ripple,

Have you actually done HSS with the Odin Tx and the Strato II Rx? I am not doubting you at all, I tried researching this the other day and only found some comments on the Phottix Journal from circa 2013 saying the Strato II couldn't do HSS.

I'm interested because I have the Odin system for my speedlites, just got a Rovelight, and I would rather buy the cheaper Strato II over another Odin Rx.

Hi, Yes. Although I'm a little wary of you using the term "HSS". Canon coined this abbreviation and they specifically meant it to include their 50 KHz pulsing tech from their Speedlights. (That's why people correctly say that Strato IIs can't do HSS.) The 'H' setting on the Rovelight/Jinbei simply holds all powers down to 1/16th in their long duration mode - no pulsing. (Their Normal setting shortens the durations as the power drops.) So we need a trigger that can offer the early 'HSS like' signal before the first curtain starts to move. Yn's 622s & Phottix Odins can do this. Although they are also capable of controlling Speedlites doing their 50 KHz pulsing thing, with the Rovelight, we just need the early trigger. The Strato II receiver obeys the early trigger from an Odin TCU - yes.

So this is a form of Supersync, and a slight Gradient down the image (darker at the top in landscape, as normally viewed) is unavoidable. I'll add a link to images I posted when discussing ameliorating the visibility of the gradient ..

.. hope this works ..
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17771268

The 'Rule' (a better word would be 'suggestion'!) only applies for portrait orientation shots, when employing Supersync, is; " .. the "rule" would be; if the key light is camera Left, then rotate with shutter button up, whereas if the key light is camera Right, then rotate with shutter button down. The gradient doesn't disappear, but to break the "rule" should make the gradient more apparent. .. "

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 22, 2015 13:22 |  #1249

Generally speaking:
With HSS, HyperSync, HS , etc. - it's all about getting the "early flash trigger signal" from the camera, and sending that to a receiver trigger (even a dumb receiver trigger - meaning "single center pin").

That's why years ago when the PW Control triggers came out (TT1 and TT5), as long as you had a Control transmitter in your camera hotshoe (and the Canon / Nikon camera was set appropriately for HHS) many great photographers were using older PW Plus 2, etc at the receiving end of their "long burn" strobe such as the Eli Ranger, etc

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Dec 22, 2015 13:26 |  #1250

Ryan7 wrote in post #17828625 (external link)
Thanks Ocean. I noticed that you are a Canon shooter. I am assuming the Strato II Multi will work with my Nikon set up as well?

http://www.amazon.com …079475242&pf_rd​_i=desktop (external link)

Hi, True re Canon (7D & 5DIII). I have no reason to suppose that Nikon is different in this particular, but I do not have personal experience of trying Supersync from a Rovelight shooting Nikon. But you would require an Odin TCU for Nikon to extract the early trigger . . .

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 22, 2015 13:58 |  #1251

OceanRipple* wrote in post #17828727 (external link)
Hi, Yes. Although I'm a little wary of you using the term "HSS". Canon coined this abbreviation and they specifically meant it to include their 50 KHz pulsing tech from their Speedlights. (That's why people correctly say that Strato IIs can't do HSS.) The 'H' setting on the Rovelight/Jinbei simply holds all powers down to 1/16th in their long duration mode - no pulsing. (Their Normal setting shortens the durations as the power drops.) So we need a trigger that can offer the early 'HSS like' signal before the first curtain starts to move. Yn's 622s & Phottix Odins can do this. Although they are also capable of controlling Speedlites doing their 50 KHz pulsing thing, with the Rovelight, we just need the early trigger. The Strato II receiver obeys the early trigger from an Odin TCU - yes.

So this is a form of Supersync, and a slight Gradient down the image (darker at the top in landscape, as normally viewed) is unavoidable. I'll add a link to images I posted when discussing ameliorating the visibility of the gradient ..

.. hope this works ..
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17771268

The 'Rule' (a better word would be 'suggestion'!) only applies for portrait orientation shots, when employing Supersync, is; " .. the "rule" would be; if the key light is camera Left, then rotate with shutter button up, whereas if the key light is camera Right, then rotate with shutter button down. The gradient doesn't disappear, but to break the "rule" should make the gradient more apparent. .. "

Many many thanks for the detailed explanation. I see the light :) The Strato will save me a few bucks!

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 22, 2015 19:49 as a reply to  @ post 17827755 |  #1252

Your trigger should be sent out in the next couple of weeks.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,499 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 22, 2015 19:50 |  #1253

Ryan7 wrote in post #17828450 (external link)
Q1: If I order this light now, will I get the V2 trigger?

Yes, you will.

dusik77
114 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 22, 2015 19:58 |  #1254

HelenOster wrote in post #17829158 (external link)
Your trigger should be sent out in the next couple of weeks.

thanks Helen

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 22, 2015 21:58 |  #1255

I got an email saying my replacement has shipped but when I try the link there is nothing on my account and no tracking number.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,637 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 22, 2015 22:28 |  #1256

HelenOster wrote in post #17829162 (external link)
Yes, you will.

Helen, I sent you an email about a significant problem unrelated to the remote issue. Hopefully you'll see this.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

CRFTony
41 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 25, 2015 13:58 |  #1257

Has anyone tried using the Rovelight with the Pentax 645D? I'm curious if they're compatible.

Tony Urban Photography
http://TonyUrbanPhotog​raphy.com (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 25, 2015 17:20 as a reply to  @ CRFTony's post |  #1258

Should be no problem if it has a standard hotshoe. It's a manual flash after all.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Gumby1220
331 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 25, 2015 23:06 |  #1259

I've been skimming through this thread and see a lot of talk about the hss working with yongnuo 622s but was wondering if anyone knows if hss works when triggered with the yongnuo yne3-rx receiver and yn-e3-rt transmitter combo?

6D | T3/1100D | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 50mm f1.8 mkII | EF-S 10-18mm IS STM | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | 600EX-RT | YN-E3-RT | PCB B800 |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 26, 2015 04:12 |  #1260

Gumby1220 wrote in post #17832507 (external link)
I've been skimming through this thread and see a lot of talk about the hss working with yongnuo 622s but was wondering if anyone knows if hss works when triggered with the yongnuo yne3-rx receiver and yn-e3-rt transmitter combo?

Hi, I'm not an 'RT' user, but as long as that Tx - Rx combo can extract the early trigger signal (just before the first curtain starts to move), which I believe it can, then it should work for Supersync. (All the smarts associated with the 50 KHz pulsing etc, are irrelevant.) You could test that Tx - Rx combo by putting a Speedlite into 1/1 Manual and dumbing down the Rx to Speedlite connection to center pin & rail only - either tape the other four pins, use a single pin Speedlite or otherwise restrict the Rx to Speedlite wire to 2 channels.

sponsored links

438,325 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.