Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 17 Aug 2014 (Sunday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nighttime 5k

dcpetty
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2014 17:47 |  #1

I am wanting to shoot an upcoming night race. I have a 60d with an 18-55 kit lens and also. 18-200 zoom with a 420ex flash. What settings would be optimal for the best results? I really want them to be great. Any help is much appreciated. Race starts at 8pm.

pcj
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 17, 2014 18:07 |  #2

Don't use the flash, it won't recycle quickly enough to shoot the runners.

Put your ISO as high as you can stand - shoot wide open on your zoom lens, and cross your fingers.

Also - shoot RAW, so you have some wiggle room later.

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

bseitz234
379 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 17, 2014 20:40 |  #3

A couple little things I would add, which could probably be debated:

First is to try to shoot right under a street light, or whatever better light you can find. What may not look like a huge difference in light to you may make the difference between keepers and unusably underexposed images. As long as you're shooting RAW and set your WB to tungsten, you should be able to recover from the weird sodium light color.

Also, personally, I'd use the 18-200, since it's not any slower than the 18-55, but the compression should help blur out what is likely to be a busy background, if there are lots of spectators where you are.

Finish shots are great, but if you can get shots at the start, too, you'll likely have a little bit of daylight left (at least where I am, I suppose that could vary), and the runners won't be as tired, so you'll get better looking faces (and form, really).

bseitz234
379 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 20, 2014 10:03 |  #4

Has the race happened yet? Just curious, I'd love to see the results!

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 21, 2014 12:06 |  #5

What kind of shots are you looking for? Specific people? News coverage type stuff? or generic artsy photos? All would require a different approach.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

917 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nighttime 5k
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.