Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2014 (Wednesday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The path of the full frame

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 01, 2014 21:01 |  #76

IMO.....if you don't have a good lens line up, that's what I would suggest focusing on. Second, if you're drooling for a full frame, a nice 1DsII would be my choice......I am a bit biased though. The past 8 years, I've almost exclusivly used 1DsII bodies to pay my bills and still do. They produce great quality image files and the autofocus is amazing even when the light is next to nothing. I sometimes work in conjunction with another studio who primarily uses 5DII's and they have even commented on how well my files hold up to manipulation as compared to theirs......of course, that could be contributed somewhat to better lighting control (which I do feel that I handle that a bit better).
In the end, I have no problem recommending the 1DsII for producing superior results in just about any situation (assuming the user knows how to make it work). And at the prices it can be had at now, it's a bargain.

sponsored links
InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 03, 2014 01:17 |  #77

Although many others have chimed in, I will add that if I were in your exact position.
I would buy a used 6D and the 40mm stm lens. Perfect combo.
Then build out your EF lenses as needed.

Amazon.uk states that most sellers ship to Serbia. Although prices on there may be rather expensive.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

trailguy
449 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 03, 2014 14:24 |  #78

I've won some awards and sold plenty of framed prints with my 40D, AND using the best glass available.
Unless you do 'high art" large framed prints, or shoot for demanding big money customers, I think you'd be very happy with what a 70D and a good lens will do.

Perfectionism is the highest form of self-abuse
"Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward"
Ernst Hass 1952

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 03, 2014 17:43 |  #79

trailguy wrote in post #17133767 (external link)
I've won some awards and sold plenty of framed prints with my 40D, AND using the best glass available.
Unless you do 'high art" large framed prints, or shoot for demanding big money customers, I think you'd be very happy with what a 70D and a good lens will do.

Quite right - the "Old" 40D can produce excellent images by any standards. A young lady that I helped teach is continually proving this!
However when fast AF and/or high ISO performance are required then no, current, APSC camera is really in the running - pity...

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (7 edits in all)

Aug 22, 2015 13:00 |  #80

johnf3f wrote in post #17134099 (external link)
Quite right - the "Old" 40D can produce excellent images by any standards. A young lady that I helped teach is continually proving this!
However when fast AF and/or high ISO performance are required then no, current, APSC camera is really in the running - pity...

^ My 40D pleases me plenty, without eating up my storage capacity at a more rapid pace! :-)
I even own a 5D, yet still do not hesitate to shoot using the 40D. (I wish I could get a 17-55 f/2.8 IS zoom equivalent for FF!)

I don't think Ansel Adams or Alfred Eisenstadt's work has been criticized for shooting the older emulsions of the 1940's and 1960's...art and excellent photography is in the portrayal, not necessarily in the technical capability of the newer film or the newer sensor.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 22, 2015 13:13 |  #81

Archibald wrote in post #17123714 (external link)
Well, thank you for the invitation.

I have tried to do some camera and lens comparisons, and find they are very hard to do properly. There are organizations out there who do this professionally, and they also find them hard to do. Sometimes after all the tests are done, they won't even agree with each other. So I no longer take my tests that seriously. I am just not qualified to do a good job.

But doing a few shoots with you when you are in Calgary sounds like terrific fun. We can certainly do the tests, and do informal comparisons. I doubt we will see a discernible difference in the results, but who knows.

So by all means let me know when you are coming!

(Don't come in the winter! And winter runs from the beginning of November to early or mid May.)

Came in August this year!

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

9,975 views & 3 likes for this thread
The path of the full frame
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.