Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Aug 2014 (Saturday) 07:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D or Leica M240 Switch thoughts

freitz
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2014 07:47 |  #1

While at with my wife we stumbled on a Leica Store (actually I knew it was there ha!) but I spent a few hours in the store with one of the salesmen.

I currently shoot a 6D with 24-70 MK II and 70-200 MK II. Not the lightest setup there is and a bit heavy when using all day.

I mainly shoot
-Travel
-Landscapes
-Astro (hardly ever really but would like to)
-Family snap shots

My goals
-bring my camera anywhere
-lighten the load so easier to carry
-not be embarrassed to pull out in tight crowds (this happens with travel, hard to pull out that camera with a 70-200 on it and not get stares)
-Enjoy photography (sometimes my 6D feels more like work then play) I enjoy photography but lately have been leaving my camera at home because its a lot to carry around.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has made the move from FF with lenses to the Leica M system and looking for your input. I figured this would be the pace to ask.

Camera: Leica M240 - Summilux 35mm 1.4 FLE
PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8
NAS/Server: Synology DS213air // 2x 2TB WD Red NAS drives

sponsored links
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 30, 2014 11:48 |  #2

If your goal is to never shoot a telephoto lens longer than 90mm again, you might just succeed.

My good friend is a professional and shoots with a D4. He recently bought a M240 and loves the colors and saturation. All of his travel shots to India and around Asia are shot with it. However, he said it is great for portraits and street stuff, but it severely lacking in telephoto lenses.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

neekon
293 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 30, 2014 11:56 |  #3

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17126307 (external link)
If your goal is to never shoot a telephoto lens longer than 90mm again, you might just succeed.

My good friend is a professional and shoots with a D4. He recently bought a M240 and loves the colors and saturation. All of his travel shots to India and around Asia are shot with it. However, he said it is great for portraits and street stuff, but it severely lacking in telephoto lenses.

there are M mount 135mm lenses
and for the M240 there are adapters to use R mount lenses, among other lenses that could be longer than 135mm

I use my M240 for pretty much everything, but i couldn't use it as my only camera.

Phase One XF with IQ150 - Assorted Lenses from 28mm to 300mm
Leica M10 with Assorted Lenses from 35mm to 75mm
RED Scarlet-W 5k Cinema Camera
Canon CN-E Lens Set
13" Macbook Pro
Tripods and other photo equipment

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 30, 2014 12:10 |  #4

Pick up an eos m before investing big money. See if that would work. With that said, my leica is just fun.

Jason

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2014 12:41 |  #5

I am not a professional. I do this purely for fun. Over the past few months, could be just a phase, I wasn't bringing my 6D everywhere I could of because I didn't feel like carrying it. I love taking pictures though so thats what has got me thinking.

PC: I7 3930k // EVGA GTX TITAN SC // 16GB RAM 1866 // ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME // All Watercooled // CASELABS SM8

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,063 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2014 12:43 |  #6

with the A7r available, not really sure about the existence of leica. I havent even shot leica, but I'd put my money on sony having a better viewfinder, focusing tools, and better in general.

You can use leica glass on the sony if you wish, and pretty sure sony is even smaller than the leica.

something like om 21, nikkor 50mm 1.2, 135 of some sort would weigh as much as the 6D + 24-70 total, and not feel like a chore. Less intimidating for family shots, landscapes, no problem, travel no problem.

my lightweight kit for day to day:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Lightweight kit (external link) by charlie617 (external link), on Flickr

weighs less than a 6D + 50L. Sure, it's not as good, but still pretty damn good. Sacrifice a little bit of optics for a lot of weight.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 30, 2014 13:01 |  #7

the M is a smaller, but its weight is surprising (the top and bottom plates are brass)
the body will weigh about the same as your 6D, but the lenses will be much smaller and lighter.

have you used a rangefinder before ? the M is manual focus only, you can either use the mechanical coincident rangefinder, or focus peaking on the back screen/optional EVF (only on M240/M-P)

The M240 is my favourite camera ever, i absolutely love mine and take it everywhere with me, but i wouldn't recommend it, its very expensive and a bit limited.
lens choice is from 16mm to 135mm, although many say that 90mm is about the limit of accurate focusing
there is no zooms (ok, there is the WATE and MATE tri-elmars, which have click stops at three different focal lengths, 16,18,21 or 28,35,50mm)

you made a few points in your post my responses are in blue

I mainly shoot
-Travel
-Landscapes
-Astro (hardly ever really but would like to)
-Family snap shots

I use mine at work and for landscapes and family pics

My goals
-bring my camera anywhere its small and easy to carry
-lighten the load so easier to carry the body will weigh around the same, the lenses ail be smaller and lighter
-not be embarrassed to pull out in tight crowds (this happens with travel, hard to pull out that camera with a 70-200 on it and not get stares)this is a mental thing, you get used to the stares, people do tend to ignore the M though
-Enjoy photography (sometimes my 6D feels more like work then play) I enjoy photography but lately have been leaving my camera at home because its a lot to carry around.this is the reason i bought mine, i want a camera that is fun to shoot, and separate from work, something small i can take everywhere (and i love the proper rangefinder)

I just wanted to see if anyone else has made the move from FF with lenses to the Leica M system and looking for your input. I figured this would be the pace to ask.
I didn't switch, i have a pair of 1DX at work, and the M is my personal camera, they complement each other nicely (1DX, big, loud, good lens choice) (M, Tiny, Quiet, feels good to use, people tend to ignore you with it and forget they are being photographed)

there is a "Leica Lovers Anonymous" thread over in general photography sub forum, might pay to ask the guys there, or at least alert them to this thread (I see you already posted on LUF)

I have an M240 and 50mm f2.5 Summarit

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 30, 2014 13:13 |  #8

Charlie wrote in post #17126374 (external link)
with the A7r available, not really sure about the existence of leica. I havent even shot leica, but I'd put my money on sony having a better viewfinder, focusing tools, and better in general.

The Sony is certainly a better traveling camera based on price and sensor. Here's a comparison of both: basically the case for Leica (if money is no issue), are the lenses and rangefinder viewfinder.

http://www.dirkahlgrim​.com/wordpress/?p=1637 (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 30, 2014 15:12 |  #9

You sound like a prime candidate for a Fuji X-T1 or Sony A7 camera. I wouldn't even consider the Leica with all the other better (and cheaper) options out there now. The 6D also isn't that small... I hate carrying mine around in crowds, my X-E1 is much less conspicuous.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 30, 2014 15:47 |  #10

I went mirrorless for my everyday use (NX300) so I know exactly what you're talking about with weight/size.
You can find an EOS M+22mm for $250 right now so that is a pretty darn good deal!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2014 15:56 |  #11

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17126578 (external link)
You sound like a prime candidate for a Fuji X-T1 or Sony A7 camera. I wouldn't even consider the Leica with all the other better (and cheaper) options out there now. The 6D also isn't that small... I hate carrying mine around in crowds, my X-E1 is much less conspicuous.

You hit the nail on the head. Traveling and esp. in crowds... I think your close to me I'm right in between Baltimore and DC. I go to either a fair bit but usually avoid bringing the camera because of this reason, it stands out, its large, and sitting down grabbing dinner or lunch with my wife wanting to take a quick shot... not easy with a 6d and 24-70 as you would think.

Takes amazing pictures though.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 30, 2014 16:07 |  #12

freitz wrote in post #17126637 (external link)
You hit the nail on the head. Traveling and esp. in crowds... I think your close to me I'm right in between Baltimore and DC. I go to either a fair bit but usually avoid bringing the camera because of this reason, it stands out, its large, and sitting down grabbing dinner or lunch with my wife wanting to take a quick shot... not easy with a 6d and 24-70 as you would think.

Takes amazing pictures though.

Yup, I live in Bowie MD and I'm frequently in DC and occasionally baltimore, I rarely bring the 6D anymore. I pretty much only use the 6D for paid work at this point.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

MCTuomey
230 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 30, 2014 16:10 |  #13

the M240 is a rangefinder, very different shooting experience and technique versus a dSLR. if what you like about your 6D are features like AF, and you just want smaller and lighter, then look at the Fuji x-t1 or the oly em1/em5. FF sony alpha bodies - small and compact, yes. but once you start hanging fast FE or adapted E-mount AF lenses on an A7, well FF lenses are all about the same size, mirrorless mounts or EOS mount. not exactly a significantly smaller alternative to a dSLR when you consider the camera + lens size.

for me the thing about leica, since I like shooting rangefinders, is the quality of the lenses and the pleasure in use. nothing like it. and nothing more costly in small format either.

actually, if i had a 6D, i'd stick it in a bag with an 85/1.8 and a 35/2 IS. that'd be my everywhere kit. stealthy as my leica, lighter, and only slightly bigger. i may just do that ... for less than the price of my least expensive Leica lens.

mike

a couple of canon bodies and a few good lenses

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/9176501@N08/ (external link)

freitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 30, 2014 16:32 |  #14

MCTuomey wrote in post #17126652 (external link)
for me the thing about leica, since I like shooting rangefinders, is the quality of the lenses and the pleasure in use. nothing like it. and nothing more costly in small format either.

actually, if i had a 6D, i'd stick it in a bag with an 85/1.8 and a 35/2 IS. that'd be my everywhere kit. stealthy as my leica, lighter, and only slightly bigger. i may just do that ... for less than the price of my least expensive Leica lens.

AF is not a must. Playing with the Leica in the store the MF was easier then it is on my 6D with either 24-70 or 70-200. My biggest draw back is Im comfortable with the 6D I know when I pull it out of the bag I can get the shot... its easy, manual is easy. Its a giant point and shoot for me at this point, I almost never think about the shot anymore. Which was the entire reason I liked photography in the first place.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,063 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2014 18:48 |  #15

MCTuomey wrote in post #17126652 (external link)
the M240 is a rangefinder, very different shooting experience and technique versus a dSLR. if what you like about your 6D are features like AF, and you just want smaller and lighter, then look at the Fuji x-t1 or the oly em1/em5. FF sony alpha bodies - small and compact, yes. but once you start hanging fast FE or adapted E-mount AF lenses on an A7, well FF lenses are all about the same size, mirrorless mounts or EOS mount. not exactly a significantly smaller alternative to a dSLR when you consider the camera + lens size.

this is somewhat true. It really comes down to lenses.

OM 21, supposedly super optics, and tiny 21mm, would make for an excellent landscape lens. there are a lot of smaller 35mm lenses, and most have decent to good optics. 50mm's..... there is the nikkor 50mm F1.2, pretty good when I played with it. Once you drift beyond, there's almost no more weight savings (though you can still save on size). Replacing that 70-200, you need some sort of 135mm F2, and all of those are fairly heavy and even bulky. Of course nothing close to the 70-200 in size, but size of L glass.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

8,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D or Leica M240 Switch thoughts
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.