Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scam Warning!

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 04, 2014 12:45 |  #1

I stupidly paid a member here (who is now banned) for a lens after he responded to my WTB ad. The seller became very sketchy after I sent him payment (stopped responding, kept pushing off tracking number update). So I googled his email address and user names and found he's running the same scam on multiple photo/video websites.

Fortunately I paid with a credit card through PayPal and didn't send payment as a gift. I've filed a claim, so I should be ok in the end. This is a warning post from someone else who was scammed by the same person I was, but on a different website:

Bailey Sims, Ryan Fox, James Risby and Jason Moore are the same guy in South Carolina. He changes identity every few days.

Beware of this scam artist. He is trolling the camera/video user groups offering to sell non-existent equipment through Paypal.

He keeps the money and NEVER ships anything. Don't fall for his con game.

He was going by Bailey Sims when he contacted me here on POTN. Just a heads up for everyone here.

sponsored links
vienhuynh
308 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 04, 2014 13:15 |  #2

Thank you... this is why i really skeptical in dealing with private party... Only do it via craiglist and in person for me...

6D|Canon EF 24-70mmL f2.8ii|Canon EF 17-40mmL|Canon 70-200mmL f2.8 ii|Dolica

Buckeye1
Goldmember
3,381 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 04, 2014 13:37 as a reply to  @ vienhuynh's post |  #3

He tried to scam me in FM - reported him immediately and was banned in minutes! His user name and email address..

samlim

baileysimsdp@gmail.com (external link)

slookx24
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 04, 2014 14:02 |  #4

Buckeye1 wrote in post #17135569 (external link)
He tried to scam me in FM - reported him immediately and was banned in minutes! His user name and email address..

samlim

baileysimsdp@gmail.com (external link)

Yep that's his email.

The PP account I sent payment to is: bsphotographysc@aol.co​m (external link)

Jelloneck
692 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 04, 2014 14:07 |  #5

Interesting how his initials are B.S. This is why I prefer buying/selling via craigslist. Sell on here occasionally but very cautiously.

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 04, 2014 14:12 |  #6

Just looked at the members list ... this member was brand new with only three posts total. High risk.

Glad you were smart enough to use regular PayPal.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 04, 2014 16:10 |  #7

this sort of crap sickens me,i have found that when buying on the forum hear you take a good look at there feed back,but always be cautious along the way.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

smacatl
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 04, 2014 17:01 |  #8

I think i remember a couple of long threads on FM about this guy. He was located in SC and metro Atlanta, with the same MO - good price, fast sale, then never ship, no tracking numbers etc.

I'm not sure how the scammer thinks that this will work out for them in the long run - if the buyer pays regular PayPal then the buyer is protected, and with a little hassle gets their money back. Seems like a lot of work for what amounts to a short term loan that is going to be recaptured by PayPal as soon as they're found out as a fraud. If they close their bank account after payment, they risk involving the Fed's - again not much return for their effort.

With regards to the safety of buying on this Forum: I have had close to 100 transactions with no issues whatsoever. As was pointed out by jrbdmb a few posts back; know who your buying / selling from /to by checking their Join Date, Number of Posts, and Feedback in the Market Watch Forum. Most importantly always pay with regular PayPal (Never use PayPal Gift). Don't let the fog of a great deal prevent you from doing due diligence about both what you are buying/selling and who you are buying/selling it from/to.

OP - glad to hear that you didn't use Gift and will be getting your funds back. Thanks for posting to help remind other members to be alert.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

LostViet408
331 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 04, 2014 21:46 |  #9

That's why I am afraid to post in the WTB section sometimes. I hate private messages from people I don't know and never dealt with, scary situation.

Gear List
Feedback

Kiwimochi
388 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 04, 2014 23:01 |  #10

he scammed other people at dvx forum also.

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Sep 05, 2014 07:22 |  #11

What a bummer. It's scoundrels like this that make the world smell sometimes. Pigs.

That said, Paypal Gift is a huge annoyance with me in that nobody should ever consider using it to buy anything. It's for family and friends to give each other money or for donating to charities, fundraisers, etc.

And for that reason, I won't even contact a seller who writes something ignorant like, "use paypal gift or regular + 3%." My personal opinion is that paypal gift should be a banned option in the seller's area of POTN, but for some reason people are still allowed to use it.

Someone who is willing to cheat Paypal is likely to cheat you. It would be like someone using your photos in an advertisement without paying. Same thing.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 05, 2014 08:35 |  #12

I see BS was busy trying to buy some things too. Wander what that was all about?

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1396056

Smart using CC and paypal - double jeopardy.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 05, 2014 09:57 |  #13

Methodical wrote in post #17137003 (external link)
I see BS was busy trying to buy some things too. Wander what that was all about?

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1396056

Smart using CC and paypal - double jeopardy.

Buyer of his fake stuff sends paypal. BS uses money in paypal account to buy stuff from people. he then has actual merchandise of value to either sell again or sell locally for more $$

Asterisk
890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2014 13:47 |  #14

mikeinctown wrote in post #17137149 (external link)
Buyer of his fake stuff sends paypal. BS uses money in paypal account to buy stuff from people. he then has actual merchandise of value to either sell again or sell locally for more $$

I wonder how he picks up the mail for his illicit purchases without getting in trouble. Someone should mail him a GPS tracker...

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 06, 2014 09:49 |  #15

Glad you are covered. I agree, 'gift' option should be banned by this forum and others. It does violate PayPal terms of use. I would think that any forum that allows, encourages or turns a blind eye would be complicent in any fraud case brought to a court of law. Just saying.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scam Warning!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.