Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 02:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 135mm f/2.8 SOFT FOCUS

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 06, 2014 02:10 |  #1

So I saw that this little lens used to be sold new, but it looks like it's discontinued now.

They are going for a pretty good price, so I might pick one up. Does anyone know why this great lens with a cool effect was discontinued?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,275 posts
Gallery: 1692 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 06, 2014 02:13 |  #2

CRCchemist wrote in post #17138536 (external link)
So I saw that this little lens used to be sold new, but it looks like it's discontinued now.

They are going for a pretty good price, so I might pick one up. Does anyone know why this great lens with a cool effect was discontinued?

Heya,

Considering you can make any image "soft" with post processing, I don't see why any lens like that would continue to be made.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 06, 2014 02:16 |  #3

i think it was discontinued just because the price of it was too high for the demand...i'm not positive on what the selling price was, but i think it was something around $4-500...which is a little much considering what you can get for that price...i liked mine...it's old, it's slow to focus, but i think in the right situations it's really not a bad lens...i've never used the soft focus though....the thing i do like about it is, it's tiny...i would bring it to weddings along with a 35mm, and have 135mm, and 35mm...and both of those would fit in my suit pocket...all that said, i'll probably sell mine within the next 6 months... :)

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

CRCchemist
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 06, 2014 20:49 |  #4

Ah okay. I thought the soft focus would be a one-of-a-kind feature that can't be replicated in Photoshop or Lightroom.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,158 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 06, 2014 20:51 |  #5

the soft focus from the lens doesn't look like any sort of soft processing...that said though, it's not something i think people would pay more for...

the soft focus is in my mind, really weird looking...it's like looking at the start of post processing...it's not a great soft look...it's a strange soft look...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 06, 2014 22:50 |  #6

As I understand, soft focus (which isn't really out-of-focus but a softening due to uncorrected optics) was a popular technique for natural skin smoothing back in the film days.

Now, the best use of that lens is to shoot in the sharp mode and enjoy the fact it is a good lens at a good price.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

gacon1
634 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 06, 2014 23:15 |  #7

https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=135​789&page=2

nightcat wrote in post #16116312 (external link)
Glad to see this thread on this interesting lens. One thing about this lens... it certainly pays to purchase it used. Usually a used lens will sell at a 20% discount to the new price. This lens you can easily get used for at least 50% below the new price. I've seen prices on Ebay as low as $130.00. For under $200.00, this lens is a steal.

CRCchemist
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 07, 2014 03:07 |  #8

It creates a sort of pinhole / zone plate lens effect with bokeh, without having to go to the aperture of f/155 that pinhole photography requires. Great link!!

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 08, 2014 01:55 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #17138540 (external link)
...Considering you can make any image "soft" with post processing, I don't see why any lens like that would continue to be made...

I am not an Photoshop expert, but I suppose it is hard to get the same effect with simple image processing - I think this lens has undercorrected spherical aberration in the "soft" settings - this results in different bokeh too.

Nikon has currently two lenses with spherical aberration control, the DC Nikkor 135mm/2.0 and 105mm/2.0 - they could be used as soft focus lenses too. But most users don´t use the defocus control. I love my Nikkor 105 DC for this feature - and I made some years ago a cheap copy to get this very creamy bokeh (external link) - or the other way round accented background bokeh (external link).

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

CRCchemist
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 08, 2014 12:52 |  #10

ZoneV wrote in post #17141572 (external link)
I am not an Photoshop expert, but I suppose it is hard to get the same effect with simple image processing - I think this lens has undercorrected spherical aberration in the "soft" settings - this results in different bokeh too.

Nikon has currently two lenses with spherical aberration control, the DC Nikkor 135mm/2.0 and 105mm/2.0 - they could be used as soft focus lenses too. But most users don´t use the defocus control. I love my Nikkor 105 DC for this feature - and I made some years ago a cheap copy to get this very creamy bokeh (external link) - or the other way round accented background bokeh (external link).

It's been attempted by many people, but nobody has been able to assertively replicate the soft focus effect. Just like you can recreate bokeh with blur filters in Photoshop, you can't really replicate. It's the same thing. Unique effect that can't be recreated, as far as I have ever seen.

sponsored links

1,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.