Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 05:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Daisy Chaining the 600ex-rt

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 06, 2014 05:03 |  #1

I've 8 600's and was thinking if there was a way to fire a different flash with each shutter release.

Situation is this, during first dance shots I backlit the couple with speedlites. Works well but I'd like to reduce the load on the flashes and take more shots in that short space of time.

I use the CP-E4's and use high ISO but with some Asian weddings the ambient temp is high and they sometimes fall over and overheat.

I don't need 8 there, (I usually use 2-4) but I was wondering if there was a way of doing it via the menu system and if not, if there is another option.

TIA!

Chris Giles Photography

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 06, 2014 20:38 |  #2

Gel wrote in post #17138616 (external link)
I've 8 600's and was thinking if there was a way to fire a different flash with each shutter release.

Situation is this, during first dance shots I backlit the couple with speedlites. Works well but I'd like to reduce the load on the flashes and take more shots in that short space of time.

I use the CP-E4's and use high ISO but with some Asian weddings the ambient temp is high and they sometimes fall over and overheat.

I don't need 8 there, (I usually use 2-4) but I was wondering if there was a way of doing it via the menu system and if not, if there is another option.

TIA!

There is no provision to do what you want to do for every shutter release. You can use the <Gr> mode and quickly switch different Slave Groups "On or Off". If one Group is over heating you can switch to another Group in the same location and keep shooting. If you have 8 600EX-RT Speedlites then use all of them if 2-4 is not getting the job done. You can also use 2 or 3 Speedlites together in a Group to lower flash output of each individual Speedlite which may help with your over heating issue.

As far as your flash units "falling over" this sounds like a personal problem.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,973 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 08, 2014 16:13 |  #3

The only way I can think of doing something like this is to use two cameras, each set to a different channel and then have half the lights on one channel and the other half on the other.

Better approach, as Rand suggests is gang two speedlites together and use them at half the output one would require.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,864 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 09, 2014 00:59 |  #4

the old PW Multimax allowed "speed cycling" where you could have up to four groups of flashes (A,B,C,D) and it would fire them in order.
i believe it was to get a few frames during something like a basketball game, instead of one frame then waiting a few seconds for the strobe to recycle, but it would work for what you want too.

i think agv8or's idea, running them at lower power in groups, would go a long way to solving your overheating problem

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

bhursey
435 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 12, 2014 09:43 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #5

They actually added this feature upon request to the cactus v6. It is the only trigger I know of that does this. It was added in Firmware 1.0.173 http://www.cactus-image.com/cactus_v6_fw​update_notes.pdf (external link)

New feature:

- Group sequence: In the new menu item <GROUP SEQUENCE> on the TX units,
choose one of the following options to trigger the RX units in a group sequence:2
1. A-B-C-D: The first trigger in a series will fire group A, then group B and so on.
The fifth trigger will fire group A and start the cycle again. Another series will
restart at group A when there is no triggering event in 2 seconds.
2. AB-CD: The first trigger in a series will fire group A and B together, then group
C and D. The third trigger will fire group A and B, and start the cycle again.
Another series will restart at group AB when there is no triggering event in 2
seconds.

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Daisy Chaining the 600ex-rt
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.