Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The merits of the 50L, and why it's worth the $1000 premium

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 15, 2014 00:44 |  #76

Love my 50L.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14429124311_a8c9dab9f7_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nZ42​Xn  (external link) fathersday-2 (external link) by crxgator (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2897/14014174295_e6acc89ee2_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nmoi​LK  (external link) liambasket (external link) by crxgator (external link), on Flickr

worth every penny over the 50 1.4/1.8.

Some of my feedback

sponsored links
eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 15, 2014 07:22 |  #77

MatthewK wrote in post #17152096 (external link)
People get very wrapped up in the brand choices they make, because it's a reflection of their self worth. So when someone makes an off-comment about that person's brand choice, you are indirectly making that comment about their self worth. If you say that Ford sucks, then people who drive a Ford feel that their choice is somehow wrong, and you claiming their decision making is incompetent. They need to lash out in order to self-validate.

With money, it comes down to insecurity. If a person can't afford that Ferrari, they go into self-protect mode in order to shield their insecurity at not stacking up to those who can afford such an expensive car. And that goes hand in hand with trying to validate their purchase over that Ferrari owner's purchase (my modified Honda can beat that POS Ferrari 0-60, my Subaru does soooo much better in the snow, my minivan carries a ton more stuff than the Ferrari).

Whenever I hear fanboys/girls cry about their brand/choice being better, it instantly smacks of insecurity and an attempt to self-validate.

I normally don't spaz about products and brands but ....Ford is simply a horrible product and their customer service blows.
About 16 years old when I turned 18, I purchased a brand new ford with my savings from a lot of hard high school work.
The first engine blew up at 11k miles. It was in the shop for 2 months before someone there decided they needed to order a new engine. (even though it was a refurb)
In the process of installing it, they scratched the hell out of the sides of the car and someone at the dealership stole my car stereo system.
I literally pickup my car with scratches all over it and wires hanging out of the dashboard.
I called the police on Ford.

The second engine blew up at 62k miles. (new sparkplugs, mobil 1 synthetic... the car was meticulously cared for)
Ford told me to go F myself... took it to 3 dealerships and not a single manager said oh I'll take care of it since it's only 2k miles out of warranty...
paid $2350 out of pocket for a new engine/install.. lucky my friend's brother owned a mechanic shop at the time.
I had to contact the better business bureau and filed a complaint.. nothing happened.

After that, I picked up an audi a4.. drove it to 160k+ miles with minor problems here and there... overall great car, customer service was awesome, and the dealerships were very professional...

People say you should be proud and buy "American"... my response, my zx2 was made in Juarez mexico and was a POS

FU Ford!

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 15, 2014 09:33 as a reply to  @ eddie3dfx's post |  #78

Some one please delete ^

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,632 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 15, 2014 10:15 |  #79

FEChariot wrote in post #17155484 (external link)
Some one please delete ^

Seriously, what a pointless post.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 15, 2014 10:27 |  #80

eddie3dfx wrote in post #17155120 (external link)
I normally don't spaz about products and brands but ....Ford is simply a horrible product and their customer service blows.
About 16 years old when I turned 18, I purchased a brand new ford with my savings from a lot of hard high school work.
The first engine blew up at 11k miles. It was in the shop for 2 months before someone there decided they needed to order a new engine. (even though it was a refurb)
In the process of installing it, they scratched the hell out of the sides of the car and someone at the dealership stole my car stereo system.
I literally pickup my car with scratches all over it and wires hanging out of the dashboard.
I called the police on Ford.

The second engine blew up at 62k miles. (new sparkplugs, mobil 1 synthetic... the car was meticulously cared for)
Ford told me to go F myself... took it to 3 dealerships and not a single manager said oh I'll take care of it since it's only 2k miles out of warranty...
paid $2350 out of pocket for a new engine/install.. lucky my friend's brother owned a mechanic shop at the time.
I had to contact the better business bureau and filed a complaint.. nothing happened.

After that, I picked up an audi a4.. drove it to 160k+ miles with minor problems here and there... overall great car, customer service was awesome, and the dealerships were very professional...

People say you should be proud and buy "American"... my response, my zx2 was made in Juarez mexico and was a POS

FU Ford!

Oh well,, if you can't afford a Dodge, dodge a Ford.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 16, 2014 00:13 |  #81

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17155618 (external link)
Seriously, what a pointless post.

It's not the worst ;)

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17151322 (external link)
People are just jealous of it's fast aperture and our financial capability of buying a 50L. You really can't explain that to a non-50L owner

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17153008 (external link)
More than you can afford pal*

*fast and furious reference. Just in case anyone missed the sarcasm

Those two are nice :lol:
Not only it's entirely irrelevant, but he becomes ridiculous, and what a reference ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2014 00:57 |  #82

Can't we all just get along? - Shrek

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2014 01:01 |  #83

I wonder if artists have a forum where they have p(ssing matches about brushes while ignoring results too.

Gear only matters in any endeavor when you know why you needed it in the first place.

If I couldn't take a curve all the power and control on the planet would not save me from the under steer.

I think it was Nietzsche who once said, where there's a why, there's a how.

We might as well be discussing wood flooring products.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 16, 2014 03:58 |  #84

S.Horton wrote in post #17157501 (external link)
Can't we all just get along? - Shrek

yes sorry about that :o

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

jmai86
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 16, 2014 16:27 |  #85

Yikes I come back a few days later and this thing blows up. I posted this only as my opinion based on my experiences. I was hoping to get other viewpoints on the L to see it from a different viewpoint, and to maybe talk about value and such.

Clearly, I was wrong, and this is a hot topic that can bring out the worst in some people. Just like the constant Android/Apple wars on tech forums. I guess camera gear is no different, lol. What is it about writing in a forum that causes such uproar? I know for a fact that if I had brought this topic up in person with a bunch of people, there wouldn't be nearly as much intensity or animosity goin on.

Anyways, someone commented about my lack of skill in page 3 or something. I won't legitimize it by quoting it, but, whoever it was, yeaah....about that. Replying with a kneejerk reaction shows more sensitivity and insecurity in yourself than me attempting to cool your jets to begin with.

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 17, 2014 10:53 |  #86

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17157458 (external link)
Those two are nice :lol:

Oh you know its half true ;) people don't like things they dont understand (see: zeiss otus)

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,212 views & 0 likes for this thread
The merits of the 50L, and why it's worth the $1000 premium
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.