Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 10 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 22:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clutch and Slide, Peak Designs!

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2014 12:14 |  #16

1KIND wrote in post #17149914 (external link)
Using Slide as a sling and Clutch would be fine. But if you're using a Slide as a neck strap, you won't be able to use it with the Clutch since the Clutch already occupies the strap loop.

I beg to differ. Where there is a will, there's a way.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02294_zps8a​6efea9.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02293_zps5c​c0362b.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02292_zpsd7​287dc0.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02287_zps35​7d44f7.jpg (external link)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,326 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2014 14:11 |  #17

hey, the string from peek designs looks like amsteel..... that stuff is super strong and light.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

NManuel01
THREAD ­ STARTER
754 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 12, 2014 14:55 |  #18

Nice, luckily I am using it as a sling. But that looks like a perfect fit. You might also be able to use strong to pull it through.

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

Edle
74 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2014 15:19 |  #19

c2thew wrote in post #17148840 (external link)
My handstrap arrived today and I went over the strap several times to see any faults or issues and it looks like this strap is a keeper. It's very comfortable and unobtrusive. The bonus part is that I can use the D ring on my manfrotto rc2 plate and still stick with the manfrotto system!

I was thinking how this would work as I have a Manfrotto setup as well. Would you mind posting some pictures of your setup with the Manfrotto plates so I can see how it all looks?

Body: 5D MKIII Gripped, 7D MKII
Lens: EF 85mm f1.2L II - EF 50mm f1.2L - EF 16-35mm f2.8L II - EF 17-40mm f4L - EF 24-70mm f2.8L - EF 24-105mm f4L- EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS - EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II - EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye - EF 1.4x II
Flashes: 580EX II - 600EX RT Canon Battery Pack CP-E4
Tripod/Monopod/Heads : 190XPROB / 695 5-Section Magfiber / 3039 - 488RC2

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2014 15:23 |  #20

Edle wrote in post #17150541 (external link)
I was thinking how this would work as I have a Manfrotto setup as well. Would you mind posting some pictures of your setup with the Manfrotto plates so I can see how it all looks?

Sure thing:

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02307_zpsd0​e05411.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02306_zps22​a5dbdd.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02305_zpsf4​00b0c3.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02304_zps70​5241cd.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02299_zps90​1fa618.jpg (external link)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter

Edle
74 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2014 15:27 |  #21

Thank you, interesting setup. You don't foresee the Manfrotto clamp twisting and loosening as you move around while using it?

Lens: EF 85mm f1.2L II - EF 50mm f1.2L - EF 16-35mm f2.8L II - EF 17-40mm f4L - EF 24-70mm f2.8L - EF 24-105mm f4L- EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS - EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II - EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye - EF 1.4x II

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2014 15:28 |  #22

Few more... as requested for the manfrotto setup. (i'm using a manfrotto 323rc2)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02312_zps29​99022a.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02311_zps38​6fb0db.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02310_zps57​07fdfd.jpg (external link)

http://i62.photobucket​.com …/DSC02309_zps7e​f04c6a.jpg (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2014 15:32 |  #23

Edle wrote in post #17150559 (external link)
Thank you, interesting setup. You don't foresee the Manfrotto clamp twisting and loosening as you move around while using it?

I thought about that too, but if you have the plate finger tight and then give it an extra 1/4 turn afterwords, the clamp will not unscrew out. You have to remember the D-ring doesn't move at all once it is folded back down. Also notice that the anchor link is attached at the middle of the D-ring, thus pulling on both sides. There is no chance that the d-ring will come loose with the clutch hand strap attached in this matter. Even if it does, you can always double check.

I have great confidence in the rc2 plate, especially the d-ring.

hope that helps.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2014 15:35 |  #24

Charlie wrote in post #17150436 (external link)
hey, the string from peek designs looks like amsteel..... that stuff is super strong and light.

you're right, it does look like amsteel!

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,139 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 13, 2014 14:58 |  #25

Well, if you wanted to go through all that trouble, then yes, it will fit.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS R5 or R6 | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: EF 24-70L II | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller | BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,326 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 13, 2014 16:53 |  #26

1KIND wrote in post #17152282 (external link)
Well, if you wanted to go through all that trouble, then yes, it will fit.

probably not much trouble with the right tools. If you dont have a metal object, floss would do.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 13, 2014 17:55 |  #27

just got my Clutch as well the other day. was definitely expecting it later in the month at the earliest!!

i gotta say though, it isnt as snug as i thought it was. when i put my hand through, and pull the strap to tighten, it gets to a point where it doesnt go anymore, but it feels loose! anyone experience this?

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 13, 2014 18:25 |  #28

ekinnyc wrote in post #17152504 (external link)
just got my Clutch as well the other day. was definitely expecting it later in the month at the earliest!!

i gotta say though, it isnt as snug as i thought it was. when i put my hand through, and pull the strap to tighten, it gets to a point where it doesnt go anymore, but it feels loose! anyone experience this?

Try taking your hand out of the strap, tightening the strap down, then wiggle your hand into the strap till it's snug. Once you have it dialed in, you can use the zip ties from the packaging to hold the tightening strap down as seen in the pictures above.

I too was expecting the clutch to come much later and am glad to have it in my hands well before the delivery schedule. I'm enjoying this hand strap! :cool:

steve67
167 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 00:15 |  #29

IF YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN E-MAIL, BE WARNED. HERE IS AN EMIL I RECEIVED TODAY.

Project Update #16: Slide/Clutch/AL Issues and Next Steps to Take
Posted by Peak Design ♥ Like
Hi everyone,

The PD team is converging on Cologne for Photokina, our industry's largest event. The excitement and enthusiasm we all have leading up to this event is much heightened by the fulfilling of this campaign during the course of the last week.

But....as some 50 of you have already alerted us to...there is a problem with some of the products we've been sending out. And so our focus and excitement for Photokina is unfortunately diverted, as figuring out the proper steps for getting ahead of this issue is now our main priority.

Before I get into the specifics, please know this: if you're one of the ones with the issue, we will never leave you high and dry. That's simply not how we operate. We are doing, and will continue doing everything we can to fix this problem for everybody. We consider it a requisite condition for the existence of our company, and the continued good will of our backers and customers.

THE ISSUE:

For a certain number of customers (50 and counting), the metal spring in the nylon Anchor Link housing (the connector at the end of all Peak Design straps) has been backing out of position, and subsequently popping out of place and disconnecting from the Anchor. Typically, this is happening during the engagement or disengagement of an Anchor. However, as of last night, we have discovered that it can happen during the use of the strap if the spring is "falsely" in place when the Anchor is disengaged. In these cases, camera drop is a very serious risk, which is what makes this such a serious issue.

We are in the business of carrying your cameras, not dropping them. I suspect we will not be in business if we cannot entirely contain and eliminate that risk, which is why it is our top priority.

HOW MANY FOLKS ARE AFFECTED?

We're not sure, and we need your help to know. To date, we've heard about the issue from 1% of the people who have received our gear. That number will likely climb though, as we make people aware of the potential issue and give them a chance to see for themselves.

Note that Leash and Cuff do not have this issue because they have slightly different (yet completely compatible) versions of the affected part. And our Capture clips and other accessories don't contain this part at all, so it's not an issue for those products either.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

The story of the design of our springs is a long one. With the launch of Slide, Clutch and Anchor Links we made some small tweaks to the design on our Anchor Link housing (which was originally developed when we launched Leash and Cuff in 2012). The tweaks make the clips operate more smoothly and securely. After extensive testing of the tweaked design we OK'd a pre-production run of 1000 individual Anchor Link housings. 400 of those housings went on pre-production Slides, 200 on pre-production Clutches and 400 on pre--production Anchor Links. We sent those production units into the wild and the feedback was great. So, we released a PO for a full production run of Anchor Link housings.

Fast forward to last week. Over 3000 people received Slides and Clutches, and 800 Anchor Links went out into the wild. Within a few days we had a couple pieces of odd feedback coming in about springs popping out of Anchor Link housings. We did a little in-house testing, determined the problem was a small fluke, and emailed those folks back with an easy fix. A couple more days passed, and we got a dozen more of the same complaints. At this point we realized that this issue was less fluke-y than we initially thought. Hence, we're updating you all to make sure you're aware of it, and we're going to work closely with you from here on out to fix things.

IS MY STUFF SAFE TO USE?

It is, but until we can give you further information, you need to take precautions when using it. We realize that's not a particularly confidence inspiring statement. But our reputation as a brand lies in keeping your cameras safe and secure, so we'd be doing you and ourselves a disservice if we took the soft approach of telling you to proceed with zero caution whatsoever.

We're going to be cutting a video of what this check really is, but know that it is essentially making certain that the hook on the spring is engaged in its recess when you are attaching your Anchor Links. If it is not, you may replace it, but you will of course again need to perform the test. To our knowledge and understanding of the issue, it is not spatially possible for the spring to pop out of once an Anchor is engaged. It can only pop out if it is falsely engaged.

Photos and video of these checks and descriptions of the problem are forthcoming. Literally all PD members are on flights right now, and getting this message out, even without the benefit of visual aids, was too important to wait another 12 hours.

OUR NEXT STEPS:

Here's what we'll be doing in the next few days to move things along:

1. We'll send out a survey to everybody who's received Slide, Clutch or Anchor Links so far. We kindly ask you to fill this survey out as soon as you receive it.

2. We're pausing our fulfillment of orders containing Slide, Clutch or Anchor Links until we know more. Yes, we know this hurts. But the alternative is neither ethical nor practical.

3. We're going to update you in a few days when we know more about how big this issue really is, and what our ultimate fix will be for it.

A HISTORY OF TEAMWORK

Every time we've ever released a product, it's not been without its issues. I would like to think it's possible for a flawless release, and one day I hope we can achieve it. But until then, I want to extend our sincere gratitude to this community....not only for being the group that believes in us enough to take a chance on our products, but also for being the group that guides our decision making through these often challenging issues. Peak Design is very fortunate to have a following of users that is very technically adept, and very interested in helping us succeed as a company. It's a special relationship, and we continue to cherish it.

Thank you in advance.

Peter and the Peak Design team

5DMark4/ 24-105 F4/16-35mm F4 50mm f1.8 II/100mm f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

Edle
74 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 15, 2014 07:38 |  #30

*sigh*

sponsored links

27,525 views & 1 like for this thread
Clutch and Slide, Peak Designs!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.