Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 04:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D MkII specs confirmed

this thread is locked
soccerkingpilot
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 13, 2014 23:35 as a reply to  @ post 17152889 |  #166

I concur...the biggest features I'm looking forward to are improved ISO performance (as always), higher FPS and GPS. I'm not a huge fan of the swivel screen on the 60D but I won't hate on it too hard because it CAN be useful, namely with video.

sponsored links
tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 14, 2014 00:14 as a reply to  @ soccerkingpilot's post |  #167

Petie53 wrote in post #17151996 (external link)
What I would miss is the adjustable LCD screen I have on my 60D. It sure is nice to have at times for overhead or low shots and also for viewing to be able to adjust it to reduce sun glare. To me it is a valuable feature that should be on the upper range cameras.

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17152000 (external link)
I agree. I've never understood the peeps who "poo-poo" that feature.

That is the one feature I wish my 5D3 had the most. Some of the environments I shoot in, it just isn't possible to lay down on the ground to look through the viewfinder or to view the lcd screen when composing low shots.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

DavidWatts
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 14, 2014 01:21 |  #168

Now that pictures of the top plate and back are up (and if true), there isn't one single difference in buttons, dials, markings, displays, etc. from the 5D3. If you had both, one would be forgiven if they accidentally picked up the wrong camera. Other than the 7 has a built-in flash and has a 7D on the front where the other has a 5, the new MkII is amazingly similar on the outside.

EDIT: Found two tiny differences so far. Small hump by the hot shoe (GPS receiver?) and the speaker holes bottom left of the viewfinder.

For shooters with both bodies, that will be a great thing, I'd bet.

My Smugmug site (external link)

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 14, 2014 11:19 |  #169

Canon has two options. They can introduce a new killer sensor. The one we have been waiting for and they can charge whatever they want.

Or they can re-hash the 70D sensor, which wasn't any better with IQ then the 60D sensor. But, if they want to succeed with this, they will have to keep the price low. The 7D was $1699 at launch, right? I think they will have to be there or cheaper. If this camera is in the $1500 range, I'd even consider it as the rumors describe it.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 14, 2014 11:22 |  #170

agreed with footbag. they really need to roll out a killer sensor. rehashing the 70D in 10fps with a new image processor isnt going to make people jump over eachother for a new semi-pro body rather than grabbing a APS-C pro quality body

Mahgnillig
206 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 14, 2014 13:13 |  #171

The lack of wifi is gonna be a deal breaker for me... wifi is immensely useful when you have a phone/tablet that you can use for live view shooting, especially if you need to put the camera in an awkward position to get the shot. It seems bizarre that they would leave it off a brand new camera. And yes, I'm aware that you can build a solution to this, but it's 2014 and every other device I own has wifi built in without having to use additional equipment.

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 14, 2014 13:16 |  #172

The lack of WiFi and touch screen is making me wonder if they were trying to hit a price point.

It's one of those decisions that sounds good in a boardroom.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 14, 2014 13:24 |  #173

Brian_R wrote in post #17153588 (external link)
agreed with footbag. they really need to roll out a killer sensor. rehashing the 70D in 10fps with a new image processor isnt going to make people jump over eachother for a new semi-pro body rather than grabbing a APS-C pro quality body

I wish you'd all stop making such assumptions and at least give them the benefit of the doubt. We still have no info on whether or not the sensor is new or not. 5 years if waiting... I am leaning more towards this being a new sensor altogether.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2014 14:23 |  #174

Mahgnillig wrote in post #17153797 (external link)
The lack of wifi is gonna be a deal breaker for me... wifi is immensely useful when you have a phone/tablet that you can use for live view shooting, especially if you need to put the camera in an awkward position to get the shot. It seems bizarre that they would leave it off a brand new camera. And yes, I'm aware that you can build a solution to this, but it's 2014 and every other device I own has wifi built in without having to use additional equipment.

Do they now, or would they make it so you could get wifi in the aftermarket grip. I"m asking since I don't know if they already do that or not. It would seem it an easy way of doing it.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 14, 2014 14:43 |  #175

Aressem wrote in post #17153812 (external link)
I wish you'd all stop making such assumptions and at least give them the benefit of the doubt. We still have no info on whether or not the sensor is new or not. 5 years if waiting... I am leaning more towards this being a new sensor altogether.

i bought the 7D when it first came out as a pro quality camera with a APS-C sensor and it was and performed amazingly. With the incredible improvements we have made over the past 5 years since the first 7D the new one kinda does need to live up to game changer status that was rolled out in the original 7D. not to mention following the model numbers single digit cameras fall under the pro category despite sensor size, double number digits are considered by most to be enthusiast/semi-pro, triple number/rebel are entry level. if the 7DmkII doesnt have that pro performance and they basically roll out a 70D with 10fps a lot of people will be upset with canon.

assumption and speculation arent the same fyi

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,708 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 14, 2014 15:01 |  #176

DavidWatts wrote in post #17152988 (external link)
Now that pictures of the top plate and back are up (and if true), there isn't one single difference in buttons, dials, markings, displays, etc. from the 5D3. If you had both, one would be forgiven if they accidentally picked up the wrong camera. Other than the 7 has a built-in flash and has a 7D on the front where the other has a 5, the new MkII is amazingly similar on the outside.

EDIT: Found two tiny differences so far. Small hump by the hot shoe (GPS receiver?) and the speaker holes bottom left of the viewfinder.

For shooters with both bodies, that will be a great thing, I'd bet.

It really is looking exactly like the 5D3. The pop up flash means the housing ion top sticks out a lot more on the 7D2, but yeah. Identical controls.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,708 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 14, 2014 15:03 |  #177

Aressem wrote in post #17153812 (external link)

The problem with this is that historically, Canon will say "it's all new" and then really it's not. The 18MP 7D sensor has been put in about 8 cameras, and half the time the press tries to tell us it's actually all new. It never was. Slight changes maybe, but not new, and not improved.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

howiewu
627 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2014 18:03 |  #178

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17153955 (external link)
The problem with this is that historically, Canon will say "it's all new" and then really it's not. The 18MP 7D sensor has been put in about 8 cameras, and half the time the press tries to tell us it's actually all new. It never was. Slight changes maybe, but not new, and not improved.

Funny thing is that many people actually will defend Canon's claim to death.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 14, 2014 23:16 |  #179

So stop crying and buy a 5D III and stop posting in the 7D rumors site. I'm just getting super fed up with assumptions and "speculation". No one has a clue what is coming. We haven't seen any reviews so it's impossible to assume anything yet there are so many people already **** and crying that they're not impressed. If you don't like the rumored specs, don't but it!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 14, 2014 23:50 |  #180

Aressem wrote in post #17154712 (external link)
If you don't like the rumored specs, don't but it!

It's not that simple.

Many of us are frustrated with Canon because they're so slow to innovate. If the 7D2 has an antiquated sensor like the 70D, why should we have any hope that the 5D4 will be given a better treatment?

Canon isn't going to change unless the market forces them to, and they are already so far behind that they may never fully catch up. That's why we're so negative right now.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

sponsored links

38,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D MkII specs confirmed
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.