Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2014 (Friday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon G7X??

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 07, 2014 09:52 |  #91

cool9 wrote in post #17257331 (external link)
Thanks.

I rented the G7X and G1X MKII each at lensrentals for 4 days for $75. (And I was very glad I did.) I was considering renting a Sony compact. Lensrentals has excellent service and great if you want to try certain cameras or lenses. I've rented a Sigma f/2.8 50-150mm lens for my 20D from borrowlenses which is also a great service.

So you did the perfect test. live concert with two cameras at same time.... excellent!

I love shooting the g7x in manual mode and the front dial adjust aperture and the rear does shutter and leave the ISO on auto and just adjust the exposure with the wheel.

I love it.

So how did your real world test turn out with a verdict?... obviously the G1x had more detail but when printing I think the G7x and the G1xII are pretty much par for par.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 18, 2014 18:53 |  #92

Kept mine a total of 7 hours including the time it took to charge the battery and upgrade DPP. I was probably expecting too much but I found the RAW files only marginally better than my old S100 and it wasn't much smaller than my EOS-M with the 22 mounted. Just couldn't justify the $700.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

stateman
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 18, 2014 19:20 |  #93

jptsr1 wrote in post #17280268 (external link)
Kept mine a total of 7 hours including the time it took to charge the battery and upgrade DPP. I was probably expecting too much but I found the RAW files only marginally better than my old S100 and it wasn't much smaller than my EOS-M with the 22 mounted. Just couldn't justify the $700.

I kept mine a bit longer than that but did just return mine as well. I was very disappointed in the image quality. Other than the center of the frame, it was quite soft, at both wide and tele ends. I know sharpness isn't all, but it wasn't remotely acceptable for the price.

6D - 35L II / 24-70 4.0 / 85 1.8 VC / 70-200 2.8 II

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 18, 2014 19:49 |  #94

Your experiences seem to mirror some of the sample pics I've seen, which seem a tad soft. So far it does seem like Canon has had to make some sacrifices to the IQ to offer the longer range compared to the RX100 MK III.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,853 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2014 22:11 |  #95

jptsr1 wrote in post #17280268 (external link)

stateman wrote in post #17280331 (external link)
I kept mine a bit longer than that but did just return mine as well. I was very disappointed in the image quality. Other than the center of the frame, it was quite soft, at both wide and tele ends. I know sharpness isn't all, but it wasn't remotely acceptable for the price.

I really wonder if there is excessive variation between some of these early units. I don't agree with these perspectives even a little. Based on my experience I'd say the GX7 and Sony RX100mk3 are basically a wash when it comes to sharpness. Neither is only marginally better than an S100, or quite soft, etc.

Maybe the price tag drives expectations unrealistically high?

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 19, 2014 08:03 |  #96

Adobe has now released support for G7 X raw files. This is a raw shot at 1/50, f/2, 3200 ISO and processed in LR 5.7. The only edit was a click WB adjustment using the bassist's collar as a reference. I might add that the lighting was an appalling mixture of LED fairy lights and a few coloured low wattage tungstens at random round the room.

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BSJM6_8oe7g/VGyk6g_mBkI/AAAAAAAChh0/_uzNelFg2PI/s800/20141114_233214_0835_LR.jpg

stateman
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 19, 2014 16:26 |  #97

mpix345 wrote in post #17280596 (external link)
I really wonder if there is excessive variation between some of these early units. I don't agree with these perspectives even a little. Based on my experience I'd say the GX7 and Sony RX100mk3 are basically a wash when it comes to sharpness. Neither is only marginally better than an S100, or quite soft, etc.

Maybe the price tag drives expectations unrealistically high?

Perhaps...never owned the Sony, so can't compare image quality first-hand. I was really looking forward to a compact, take-anywhere cam...guess I will go back to the drawing board.

As to price driving expectations, I certainly do have high expectations of a $700 camera. Having owned and really liking the s100 though, I didn't have truly large sensor expectations, but hoped to see a marked improvement from the s series. At least for my copy, that wasn't true. Better in low light, yes. But otherwise, the image quality didnt do it for me.

6D - 35L II / 24-70 4.0 / 85 1.8 VC / 70-200 2.8 II

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 03, 2014 08:27 |  #98

tdodd wrote in post #17281070 (external link)
Adobe has now released support for G7 X raw files. This is a raw shot at 1/50, f/2, 3200 ISO and processed in LR 5.7. The only edit was a click WB adjustment using the bassist's collar as a reference. I might add that the lighting was an appalling mixture of LED fairy lights and a few coloured low wattage tungstens at random round the room.

QUOTED IMAGE

Again, probably unrealistic but I was looking for much better than this.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 03, 2014 10:52 |  #99

jptsr1 wrote in post #17307931 (external link)
Again, probably unrealistic but I was looking for much better than this.

Me too, especially based on the hype, but the lighting here was truly awful and I don't think you can properly white balance something which appears lit by such a fragmented spectrum of visible light.

tristanic
32 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 16, 2014 23:39 |  #100

From everything I'm reading here it's looking like the sony is the way to go. I'm travelling to some countries it's probably not good to bring a large kit to so am looking for the best pocketable camera I can find.

Learning is a Gradual Process..... It takes Time.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 20, 2014 14:33 |  #101

Not sure where this discussion stands - but Capture One support the G7 X too. Does a splendid job with the RAW files. (Better than DPP)
It was my "holiday camera" for Moscow.

Side note: At the wide end, the RAW capture contains 6806px x 3983px - 27.1MP.
As far as I can tell, only Capture One shows this. (Canon's DPP and Raw Therapee do not).
However, any images you get are always around 21MP -> centre crop which avoids falloff at the sides.

As to lighting: I'm happy with how the G7 X coped with light.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

sponsored links

31,727 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon G7X??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.