Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,349 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 07, 2014 09:28 |  #1396

apersson850 wrote in post #17198855 (external link)
..."want high framerates" ... "want a fast camera"...

Where in these quotes do you see something which doesn't fit into a sports camera?

Never aid that it didn't fit, but nowhere in the quote does it state that it is targeted to a sports/wildlife shooter as well. Sounds like Canon is saying that it s a general all purpose camera. But as many here have noticed, that it's really not. It's a great sports camera but not so grate for portraits, landscapes, product or other types of photography.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 07, 2014 09:40 |  #1397

Scott Kelby's blog post about the 7DII...video review, and a couple images:
http://scottkelby.com …-on-the-canon-7d-mark-ii/ (external link)

it's a long one...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 07, 2014 09:49 |  #1398

DreDaze wrote in post #17198930 (external link)
Scott Kelby's blog post about the 7DII...video review, and a couple images:
http://scottkelby.com …-on-the-canon-7d-mark-ii/ (external link)

it's a long one...

What's your tl;dr version of what he says?

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 07, 2014 09:52 |  #1399

travisvwright wrote in post #17198949 (external link)

haven't watched, off to work...will watch when i get home

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,825 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2014 10:18 |  #1400

One thing we know from our own testing is that Canon DSLR sensors can’t quite compete with some modern sensors from Sony in terms of dynamic range. How important to you is developing sensor technology?

We are very focused on getting the best image quality. I’m not sure what measurements you’re looking at but when it comes to dynamic range for example we consider image quality as a whole, from low to high ISO sensitivities and on balance we consider our sensors to be the best.

My ideal camera is one that can take a picture in any environment from complete darkness to the brightest sunshine.

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 07, 2014 10:19 |  #1401

travisvwright wrote in post #17198949 (external link)

Half way through, they LOVE it. But they do have issues they would like to fix... have not gotten there yet. They like it at ISO 16000, "very usable" but not as good as 1DX... duh.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 07, 2014 10:23 |  #1402

A couple of the issues are Canon-wide issues, and not specific to the 7D2. They also only shot JPG, but if the JPG is good enough, who cares about raw, that was my take on it. You cannot compare the 7D to the 7D2 via the camera JPG, the newer JPG engine murders the old one. I mean you can compare, if you shoot JPG, but if you like raw comparisons, this review did none of that.

They also poked fun at the desire to view everything at 100%, I found that funny. I also am going to look into Photo Mechanic, it sounded like a great tool for the sports shooter.

The most telling was 2 things from Scott: a) he often forgot he wasn't shooting with the 1DX and b) the high ISO was much better than he would have expected (even though he has a 70D?). He shot a little of everything, he shot a wedding, some landscapes from Maine, and then a couple of big football games. The final assessment really was that "he was expecting that the 7D2 would be the 1DX's little brother, but it is really a more mature teenager brother of the 1DX".

He states too that the 70D is a good all around consumer camera and tells anybody looking for a crop to get the 70D, but the 7D2 is for the sports and wildlife shooters, since it steps up the game quite a bit.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,825 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2014 10:26 |  #1403

I think the comparison should be with the 70D since its the newer camera
but I could be wrong
and not just because I have one
they are comparing with a 5 year old camera
I would compare with the last model that came out
but thats just me

thoughts appreciated

the interview with the canon guy was pretty weak IMHO

One thing we know from our own testing is that Canon DSLR sensors can’t quite compete with some modern sensors from Sony in terms of dynamic range. How important to you is developing sensor technology?

We are very focused on getting the best image quality. I’m not sure what measurements you’re looking at but when it comes to dynamic range for example we consider image quality as a whole, from low to high ISO sensitivities and on balance we consider our sensors to be the best.

My ideal camera is one that can take a picture in any environment from complete darkness to the brightest sunshine.

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 07, 2014 10:27 |  #1404

burnet44 wrote in post #17199019 (external link)
I think the comparison should be with the 70D since its the newer camera
but I could be wrong
and not just because I have one
they are comparing with a 5 year old camera
I would compare with the last model that came out
but thats just me

thoughts appreciated

the interview with the canon guy was pretty weak IMHO

If you are talking about the latest video link just posted, then actually no, there was hardly any comparison to the 7D, since Scott never owned one. The comparison was primarily against the 1DX, with a bit against the 70D. It might be worth going through the video again, perhaps there was a distraction this time around too? ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Jaybrams
33 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2014 10:30 |  #1405

Sorry if this has already been posted. I've read many of the 94 pages of this thread but not all. On Canon's site, if you want to buy it direct they list November 28 as the ship date.

5Dii, 7D, SL1, and a bunch of lenses.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 07, 2014 10:52 |  #1406

Yes, that date changed to the 28th a couple of weeks back.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17160147#po​st17160147

monkey44
726 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 07, 2014 10:53 |  #1407

Burnet44 Quote: "My ideal camera is one that can take a picture in any environment from complete darkness to the brightest sunshine."

Yes, and that camera will arrive from Nigeria pretty quickly after you send the first $60K ... :)

Based on your website (the one I found) you shoot primarily sports - and mostly outdoors, so your direct needs would be different than a wedding shooter, for example, or AD copy for a promotion.

I find it interesting many statements about the 7D2 here (and other cameras on other threads), the primary concern is "what's missing", "what's not up to par", "what's less than perfect", with one single component of a brand.

I'd be willing to bet, if someone very good with PP, took a series of images from a comparative Nikon and a Canon shot with the same targets and with the same settings under the same lighting conditions-- then PP to "best images" with any good PP program of choice. I'd bet very few if any could tell which brand camera shot each image with any consistency.

Anyone that could, would be so advanced in image evaluation and production and technology, s/he would be among a minimum in the country (world?) and that the great majority of 'peekers' would not be able to make much better than a guess. And that both images would 'pass muster' given nearly any necessary production guidelines for clients.

The camera (like any other piece of technology or machine) works together as a package, and one component accents the other and each acts in concert to produce that image. And a big part of any difference in either final image may come from photographer skills rather that one specific component of the camera package.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,825 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 07, 2014 11:17 |  #1408

monkey44 wrote in post #17199070 (external link)
Burnet44 Quote: "My ideal camera is one that can take a picture in any environment from complete darkness to the brightest sunshine."

Yes, and that camera will arrive from Nigeria pretty quickly after you send the first $60K ... :)

Based on your website (the one I found) you shoot primarily sports - and mostly outdoors, so your direct needs would be different than a wedding shooter, for example, or AD copy for a promotion.

I find it interesting many statements about the 7D2 here (and other cameras on other threads), the primary concern is "what's missing", "what's not up to par", "what's less than perfect", with one single component of a brand.

I'd be willing to bet, if someone very good with PP, took a series of images from a comparative Nikon and a Canon shot with the same targets and with the same settings under the same lighting conditions-- then PP to "best images" with any good PP program of choice. I'd bet very few if any could tell which brand camera shot each image with any consistency.

Anyone that could, would be so advanced in image evaluation and production and technology, s/he would be among a minimum in the country (world?) and that the great majority of 'peekers' would not be able to make much better than a guess. And that both images would 'pass muster' given nearly any necessary production guidelines for clients.

The camera (like any other piece of technology or machine) works together as a package, and one component accents the other and each acts in concert to produce that image. And a big part of any difference in either final image may come from photographer skills rather that one specific component of the camera package.

that quote was from the guy in the interview not me
My bad for not identifying it

DPReview

Masaya Maeda
"We are very focused on getting the best image quality. I’m not sure what measurements you’re looking at but when it comes to dynamic range for example we consider image quality as a whole, from low to high ISO sensitivities and on balance we consider our sensors to be the best.

My ideal camera is one that can take a picture in any environment from complete darkness to the brightest sunshine."

DPReview
So in your opinion your sensors are currently the best on the market?

Masaya Maeda
Yes. In the EOS 7D Mark II for example the sensor we’ve used is improved compared to the previous generation, especially at high ISO and in shadows. There’s less noise.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …s-in-the-very-near-future (external link)

he said that not me

Monkey
"Yes, and that camera will arrive from Nigeria pretty quickly after you send the first $60K ..."

so I guess Masaya Maeda is waiting for it?

lapino
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 07, 2014 11:36 |  #1409

Since I'm still in doubt whether I could be happy going back to APS-C instead of a FF, I have been comparing high iso shots from my 7D I used to have coupled with the 17-55 lens, with shots taken with the 5D3+24-105 at ISO3200 and ISO6400. I have to say I'm pretty surprised that at these ISOs, the images are pretty close (raw, no NR). The 7D is a tad more noisy, but the difference is hardly that big. Maybe this is due to the f2.8 vs f4 ?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,108 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 07, 2014 13:01 |  #1410

lapino wrote in post #17199177 (external link)
Since I'm still in doubt whether I could be happy going back to APS-C instead of a FF, I have been comparing high iso shots from my 7D I used to have coupled with the 17-55 lens, with shots taken with the 5D3+24-105 at ISO3200 and ISO6400. I have to say I'm pretty surprised that at these ISOs, the images are pretty close (raw, no NR). The 7D is a tad more noisy, but the difference is hardly that big. Maybe this is due to the f2.8 vs f4 ?

No, the lens does nothing for noise unless it causes exposure issues for any given setting.

In my own raw tests, the 7D was somewhere in between 1 and 2 stops worse than the 5D3. I think about 1 1/2 to 1 2/3, others have different impressions when I post the sample. The 7D2 will sit right in between that result somewhere, about halving the difference. If you compare camera JPG from the 7D to the 7D2 though, the 7D2 will come out at least 2 stops better, that is how bad/old/archaic the Canon JPG and NR software in-camera was. They finally changed that back with the latest rebel/70D/5D3/1Dx/6D.

sponsored links

287,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.