Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
14,511 posts
Gallery: 2159 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Jun 09, 2017 05:51 |  #17626

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18373718 (external link)
Apart from the fact that I don't like the HDR effect there are aspects of this photo that look a bit strange to me, is it a composite ?
The bird on the roof looks too tall as does the man standing in the boat.

Interesting you think your negative feedback is of interest to anyone on this forum. A man's artistic impression of an image he himself produced is every bit as relevant as the next guy. I for one wish I had the talent to produce such a work.

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Ramon-uk
623 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 09, 2017 08:29 |  #17627

Pondrader wrote in post #18374447 (external link)
Interesting you think your negative feedback is of interest to anyone on this forum. A man's artistic impression of an image he himself produced is every bit as relevant as the next guy. I for one wish I had the talent to produce such a work.

How strange that you feel the need to berate me for a comment that I made about a picture that was submitted by someone else.

I am sure that Bianchi will tell me if he is offended by my post, I can't imagine why he would be, it wasn't intended as negative feedback, it was a genuine question ..... I asked if it was a composite.

Surely the whole point of putting your picture on the forum is one of sharing the image with other people and that inevitably results in discussing aspects of capturing and processing the image. If we can only post the pictures without making comments or enquiries then we might just as well put our pictures on a photo hosting site where we won't get any contact with other users.

Keltab
893 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2017 10:17 |  #17628

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18374504 (external link)
How strange that you feel the need to berate me for a comment that I made about a picture that was submitted by someone else.

I am sure that Bianchi will tell me if he is offended by my post, I can't imagine why he would be, it wasn't intended as negative feedback, it was a genuine question ..... I asked if it was a composite.

Surely the whole point of putting your picture on the forum is one of sharing the image with other people and that inevitably results in discussing aspects of capturing and processing the image. If we can only post the pictures without making comments or enquiries then we might just as well put our pictures on a photo hosting site where we won't get any contact with other users.

However, there are ways of asking questions, and "ways" of asking questions. By starting with a strong negative in your original post, it implies that you are in a way looking down on the effort that Bianchi put into his image. And by pointing out what was wrong with sizing - in your opinion - added to the negative feel of the post. When I first read it I was surprised by the tone. It's fine to not like a style or the way something is processed, and it's fine to say that if asked. But to throw out a comment with two strong negatives and then ask a question, it didn't feel like you just wanted to know if it was a composite.

Usually I don't comment on something like this, but I was surprised by the strength of the original post...

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Ramon-uk
623 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 09, 2017 10:42 |  #17629

Keltab wrote in post #18374548 (external link)
However, there are ways of asking questions, and "ways" of asking questions. By starting with a strong negative in your original post, it implies that you are in a way looking down on the effort that Bianchi put into his image. And by pointing out what was wrong with sizing - in your opinion - added to the negative feel of the post. When I first read it I was surprised by the tone. It's fine to not like a style or the way something is processed, and it's fine to say that if asked. But to throw out a comment with two strong negatives and then ask a question, it didn't feel like you just wanted to know if it was a composite.

Fair enough.

I have since found the answer to my question, after looking at Bianchi's Flickr Photostream I can see that he does a fair number of composites and can actually see most of the component parts of the picture that I commented on appear in other pictures of his, so yes it is a composite. I would like to add that some of his other more straightforward images in that photostream are extremely good.

In future I will reserve my comments for the C & C forum and refrain from making comments in this thread where it seems that only 'praise' is allowed.

Keltab
893 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 09, 2017 10:46 |  #17630

Ramon-uk wrote in post #18374562 (external link)
Fair enough.

I have since found the answer to my question, after looking at Bianchi's Flickr Photostream I can see that he does a fair number of composites and can actually see most of the component parts of the picture that I commented on appear in other pictures of his, so yes it is a composite. I would like to add that some of his other more straightforward images in that photostream are extremely good.

In future I will reserve my comments for the C & C forum and refrain from making comments in this thread where it seems that only 'praise' is allowed.

I'm not saying praise only, but the tone can matter a great deal. Ask questions, and then dig in further with the poster of the image. It may be he/she would like more C&C. But ask first and then maybe question the approach or style - that sets a good foundation and lets you go from there.

Sorry if I seemed a bit preachy earlier!

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,947 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jun 09, 2017 11:02 |  #17631

:-):-)

That is a pretty good rule to go by.

There are some members who have complained about a lack of criticism, saying there is a reduced opportunity to learn because of this. But C&Cers will be attacked, so it's best to only praise.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Lester ­ Wareham
26,791 posts
Gallery: 2506 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 09, 2017 12:23 |  #17632

I don't think we need to only praise, but as said there ways and ways of saying things.

Tone is everything if you do post something negative. It never hurts to go a bit gentle and say something nicely, more important in an electronic medium than otherwise.

In this case I don't think Ramon intended offence, but was perhaps a bit to blunt and so some people were offended.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Pondrader
14,511 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Jun 09, 2017 12:28 |  #17633

Fair enough.

Nothing good could come from your first post !! It's not about praise or negative comments. It's about a style.. a work.. an art that someone puts great effort into. Had you taken the time to look into the mans works you would have answered your own questions. Then maybe had some input. I'm maybe over sensitive but I was on Facebook this morning.. lol

flickr (external link)

shooz
Goldmember
1,494 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 09, 2017 12:30 |  #17634

Pondrader wrote in post #18374658 (external link)
I maybe over sensitive but I was on Facebook this morning.. lol

:-P I can relate to that !

Dave
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
14,511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 09, 2017 12:34 |  #17635

shooz wrote in post #18374661 (external link)
:-P I can relate to that !

lol I know. lol

flickr (external link)

cogs ­ v
Goldmember
1,662 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 09, 2017 13:56 |  #17636

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4271/34346782994_cf6cb0d373_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Uk7e​XG  (external link) Short Eared Owl (external link) by Colin Vanner (external link), on Flickr

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59471898@N04/ (external link)

wesjr
709 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by wesjr.

Jun 09, 2017 15:46 |  #17637

Great egret displaying for me this morning at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm.

Love this weather..

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL

Canon 5Ds , Canon EOS - 7D Mk II, Panasonic Lumix ZS 100, Canon Pixma Pro 10 Printer, Sekonic L- 358 incident/ flash meter, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 USM, Canon 50 mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 24- 105 f/4 IS, Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 70 -200 mm.L f/4, Sigma 180 mm. HSM f/3.5 EX DG APO Macro IF AF, Canon EF 100- 400 mm. F/4.5- 5.6 Mk II L IS, Canon EF 500 mm. f/4 L IS, 1.4 TC, 12 & 25 mm. Ext. tubes, Better Beamer, Canon 580 EX II flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

" Come to the light of things, Let nature be your teacher. "

avdbrandt
201 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Jun 09, 2017 16:43 |  #17638

Who said crop camera cannot do high ISO? , my first owl capture at almost no light left this evening.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ignorance is bliss

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,947 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 09, 2017 16:50 |  #17639

avdbrandt wrote in post #18374803 (external link)
Who said crop camera cannot do high ISO? , my first owl capture at almost no light left this evening.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by avdbrandt in
./showthread.php?p=183​74803&i=i44946813
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Nicely done!

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
25,993 posts
Gallery: 864 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 09, 2017 18:58 |  #17640

HOSTED PHOTO

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

sponsored links

5,180,161 views & 86,421 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.