Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
12,282 posts
Gallery: 484 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 28, 2019 01:00 |  #21571

Ah-keong wrote in post #18884827 (external link)
Thanks Lame-Duck, was afraid I overdo the contrast....  :p

Ah-Keong. I think the contrast is just fine. The contrast and color are what makes these images really pop.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links
Lester ­ Wareham
28,098 posts
Gallery: 3186 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 28, 2019 02:25 |  #21572

Immaculens wrote in post #18882525 (external link)
Can you folks give me examples of how you use the exposure compensation when shooting nature or wildlife?

And how is it different that adjusting ISO? I've never had a good handle on EC...

I most often use auto ISO in M mode but too often over exposes my subject.

Or should I use center-weighted average metering?

For almost everything I use Av with weighted average metering and exposure compensation when needed, exceptions are:

Birds: manual with spot metering
Macro flash: manual, and either TTL with flash exposure compensation or manual flash depending on the subject/situation.
Low light urban: Tv with weighted average.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Lester ­ Wareham
28,098 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 28, 2019 02:29 |  #21573

Immaculens wrote in post #18882543 (external link)
I though EC does not work when using auto ISO...

nqjudo wrote in post #18882552 (external link)
It does indeed. I shoot in manual with auto ISO quite often. I have customized to adjust EC with the set button and front dial.

nqjudo wrote in post #18882552 (external link)
It does indeed. I shoot in manual with auto ISO quite often. I have customized to adjust EC with the set button and front dial.

I tried auto ISO for a while with birds but found it as big a PITA as any other auto mode with birds and went back to manual.

Thing about birds is they move about and the background brightness changes although the illumination does not so manual is easier.

If the light is changing a lot of the subject very bright or dark you learn to instinctively tune the exposure.

Gear List

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 1 month ago by nqjudo. (2 edits in all)

Jun 28, 2019 10:33 |  #21574

Lester Wareham wrote in post #18884953 (external link)
I tried auto ISO for a while with birds but found it as big a PITA as any other auto mode with birds and went back to manual.

Thing about birds is they move about and the background brightness changes although the illumination does not so manual is easier.

If the light is changing a lot of the subject very bright or dark you learn to instinctively tune the exposure.

Hey Lester. Yes. In this scenario the case for full manual is very strong as exposing only for the subject is the best and least fiddly approach. In cases where illumination is more dynamic and exposure changes are required I think full manual or Auto ISO/EC is a matter of preference. I was experiencing this yesterday with shore birds and loons moving from sunlight to shadow fairly quickly. I had to adjust exposure for the subject. If one can read the scene and know where the meter needs to be the difference between adjusting EC in auto ISO or making a fully manual adjustment is similar enough unless one prefers to have precise control over every aspect of the exposure triangle. Personally in those situations I still want the same SS and aperture and don't really mind where my ISO goes so I use EC in Auto ISO. One advantage of Auto ISO/EC with birds I find is in those situations is when you have a subject in constant illumination such as a waterfowl on the water that suddenly rears up and puts on an aggression display toward another bird or similar type of high speed action. You can throttle up your shutter speed without changing your exposure or being concerned for the other variables in the exposure triangle - something you don't have the luxury of in full manual. I was photographing a cedar waxwing eating apple blossoms recently and 3 of his friends decided to join him. I needed more DOF so I closed down aperture and Auto ISO took care of the rest. Again, no worry for my exposure. Likewise there are many situations where exposure changes are far less dramatic than they may be with a BIF but changes to SS, aperture or both are required fairly quickly and can be done without worry for your exposure which can still be tweaked with ease if necessary and this without concern for their relation to one another or ISO. I would argue that birding and wildlife photography is much, much more than following constantly lit subjects across variable backgrounds and in many situations the semi-automatic nature of auto ISO and EC are faster and more appropriate than full manual. This simplicity is the very reason why semi-automatic modes are so widely used and why the user community made such a fuss about Auto ISO/EC being included as a feature of the more recent bodies. Having a mode that acts as a combined Tv and Av with the ability to compensate exposure is quite a powerful tool.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,131 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 28, 2019 15:48 |  #21575

Very much on the same page here. Where I am now in my outdoor photography is trying to take note of the conditions my subject is over exposed (or under) using auto iso in M. Then practice practice practice using EC.

Thanks to those chiming in. EC seems to be an under-utilized powerful tool to avoid emergency measures in post processing. Shooting Raw helps.

Feel free to add to the conversation.

nqjudo wrote in post #18885147 (external link)
Hey Lester. Yes. In this scenario the case for full manual is very strong as exposing only for the subject is the best and least fiddly approach. In cases where illumination is more dynamic and exposure changes are required I think full manual or Auto ISO/EC is a matter of preference. I was experiencing this yesterday with shore birds and loons moving from sunlight to shadow fairly quickly. I had to adjust exposure for the subject. If one can read the scene and know where the meter needs to be the difference between adjusting EC in auto ISO or making a fully manual adjustment is similar enough unless one prefers to have precise control over every aspect of the exposure triangle. Personally in those situations I still want the same SS and aperture and don't really mind where my ISO goes so I use EC in Auto ISO. One advantage of Auto ISO/EC with birds I find is in those situations is when you have a subject in constant illumination such as a waterfowl on the water that suddenly rears up and puts on an aggression display toward another bird or similar type of high speed action. You can throttle up your shutter speed without changing your exposure or being concerned for the other variables in the exposure triangle - something you don't have the luxury of in full manual. I was photographing a cedar waxwing eating apple blossoms recently and 3 of his friends decided to join him. I needed more DOF so I closed down aperture and Auto ISO took care of the rest. Again, no worry for my exposure. Likewise there are many situations where exposure changes are far less dramatic than they may be with a BIF but changes to SS, aperture or both are required fairly quickly and can be done without worry for your exposure which can still be tweaked with ease if necessary and this without concern for their relation to one another or ISO. I would argue that birding and wildlife photography is much, much more than following constantly lit subjects across variable backgrounds and in many situations the semi-automatic nature of auto ISO and EC are faster and more appropriate than full manual. This simplicity is the very reason why semi-automatic modes are so widely used and why the user community made such a fuss about Auto ISO/EC being included as a feature of the more recent bodies. Having a mode that acts as a combined Tv and Av with the ability to compensate exposure is quite a powerful tool.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

popoff
49 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Jun 28, 2019 16:28 |  #21576

Cygnet

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,783 posts
Gallery: 1268 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 28, 2019 17:54 |  #21577

Crkva Svetog Antuna Padovanskog Orthodox Church, Kotor Bay

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Capn Jack's gallery.

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 29, 2019 06:32 |  #21578

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48150964432_94524a1668_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gmW​haW  (external link) The Race is On! (external link) by David Fehrman (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link)

David_MC
926 posts
Gallery: 898 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 29, 2019 09:34 |  #21579

Trees growing on the sand dunes at Cape Henlopen State Park.

<insert witty signature here>
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, EF 100-400mm L II EF-S 18-135mm IS STM, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S 24mm STM, EF-S 10-18mm IS STM

David_MC
926 posts
Gallery: 898 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 29, 2019 09:35 |  #21580

Birds looking for food and a crab digging a hole as to not become food.

<insert witty signature here>
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, EF 100-400mm L II EF-S 18-135mm IS STM, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S 24mm STM, EF-S 10-18mm IS STM

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
12,282 posts
Gallery: 484 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 29, 2019 14:58 |  #21581

Very nice capture. I really like this one, David.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

Lester ­ Wareham
28,098 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 30, 2019 04:00 |  #21582

IMAGE: http://www.ware.myzen.co.uk/GalleryPics/Photos/Flora/flora%20chalk%20fragrent%20orchid%20A02_001_01-06-19.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.ware.myzen.co.uk/GalleryPics/Photos/Birds/General/Chats%20and%20Thrushes/birds%20stonechat%20f%20A02_003_13-05-19.jpg

Gear List

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,342 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 30, 2019 22:53 |  #21583

A couple from today using the EF 100 f/2.8L Macro IS USM. Next to my EF-S 60 f/2.8 Macro USM, these are the sharpest lenses I have ever used!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,453 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 01, 2019 07:17 |  #21584

HOSTED PHOTO

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,783 posts
Gallery: 1268 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 01, 2019 18:48 |  #21585

Focused on what I wanted...

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Capn Jack's gallery.

sponsored links

7,064,635 views & 94,681 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.