Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 18 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long Camera Strap?

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 18, 2014 11:32 |  #1

I have the opportunity to shoot a football game Saturday and am looking for those longer straps that most NFL/NCCAF cameramen use. Where the camera hangs a lot lower to the side?

A fellow photographer mentioned the Black Rapid, but it's a little out of my price range as I'm already buying a monopod as well.

Are there options similar to the black rapid, which aren't nearly as expensive? Yet still reliable?

Thanks!

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 18, 2014 11:34 |  #2

I made up a diy version for like $10. Well the darn thing cost me an extra $90 but that was because I went to the outdoor store to pick up my $10 worth of items and spent another $90 on other things that had nothing to do with the strap.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 18, 2014 11:36 |  #3

SierraHighPhoto wrote in post #17163209 (external link)
I have the opportunity to shoot a football game Saturday and am looking for those longer straps that most NFL/NCCAF cameramen use. Where the camera hangs a lot lower to the side?

A fellow photographer mentioned the Black Rapid, but it's a little out of my price range as I'm already buying a monopod as well.

Are there options similar to the black rapid, which aren't nearly as expensive? Yet still reliable?

Thanks!

Optech has a good one that is much less then the BR and is about the same length.

http://www.amazon.com …ility-Strap/dp/B003T0EYVE (external link)

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 18, 2014 11:48 |  #4

I like the looks of that, but my only concern is if it'll be able to hold a Canon 5D Mark III with a 70-200mm F/4L attached to it.

shocolite
227 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 18, 2014 12:18 |  #5

I use the OP/TECH Super Classic Strap with 6D and 70-200 F4L. It is adequately strong and comfortable. No complaints with it at all.

Canon 80D, 700D & G7 X; EF-S 10-18/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 16-35 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; 100-400 L II, Speedlite 430EX II

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 18, 2014 14:20 |  #6

SierraHighPhoto wrote in post #17163238 (external link)
I like the looks of that, but my only concern is if it'll be able to hold a Canon 5D Mark III with a 70-200mm F/4L attached to it.

I use an optech strap for my 5dm3+grip + 70-200 2.8 IS II without any concerns.

In fact, looks like now I have two optech straps since Canon just sent me a CPS branded optech strap for signing up for CPS.

I also don't think it's really designated as "long" though. I think all these straps are pretty much designed for the camera to sit at your hip and are all adjustable.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,495 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 18, 2014 15:27 |  #7

No problem with the OpTech strap holding my 5DIII with 100-400L. You can get an extender, too, if it's not long enough for you.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 18, 2014 16:08 |  #8

Good information everyone. Went ahead and bought one.

Thanks!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 18, 2014 20:27 |  #9

SierraHighPhoto wrote in post #17163238 (external link)

SierraHighPhoto wrote in post #17163749 (external link)
Good information everyone. Went ahead and bought one.

Thanks!

Just to confirm your good judgment, I had a PacSafe strap fail on me (stitching pulled out) while I was carrying my 1D3 and 300 f/2.8 around. Luckily I caught it before anything hit the ground (amazing what panic can do for your reflexes!). But I spent the next day or so carrying the rig around om the 1D3's OpTech strap.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 18, 2014 21:39 |  #10

John wrote in post #17163557 (external link)
I use an optech strap for my 5dm3+grip + 70-200 2.8 IS II without any concerns.

In fact, looks like now I have two optech straps since Canon just sent me a CPS branded optech strap for signing up for CPS.

I also don't think it's really designated as "long" though. I think all these straps are pretty much designed for the camera to sit at your hip and are all adjustable.

Did you use both mounting points of the optech? I have an optech as well but no grip and im a bit iffy using only one mounting point. Id like to see how you attached it if you dont mind. Thanks!

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 18, 2014 21:52 |  #11

treck_dialect wrote in post #17164353 (external link)
Did you use both mounting points of the optech? I have an optech as well but no grip and im a bit iffy using only one mounting point. Id like to see how you attached it if you dont mind. Thanks!

Here is mine, a black rapid. I wanted 2 points as well mainly because I dont trust the single point on my third part grip. Which is just a little piece of plastic. So I got a couple op-tech utility straps and put one on the joby arca plate and the other through the camera strap lug. You could do the same with no grip by just using one strap on the camera lug.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2014 15:16 |  #12

Optec Strap with the utility straps on my 500 F4 attached to the lens lugs. Works like a charm and was inexpensive.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 19, 2014 20:50 |  #13

Just came in and I really like it. My only question is, being I have a battery grip on this camera, is it best to attach one of the clips to the battery grip, and then the closest loop to the battery grip (right side for me). Or do I want to attach the other clip to the furthest loop on the camera (left side)? Or do I just want to still use the two top loops?

Thanks.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 20, 2014 12:08 |  #14

As you can tell my setup is just a little different (but close to yours). I tried the right side but quickly moved it away from there for two reason.
#1 when I flip the camera to shoot portrait mode the strap would be in my way.

#2 using the bottom grip lug and the camera strap lug meant something was always in my way when i changed cards. My fear being the the strap would get yanked or tugged in someway with the card door open and snap it off.

I have had it on the left now for about 8 months and really like how it hangs and stays out of the way.

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 20, 2014 12:09 |  #15

Scoobert wrote in post #17164374 (external link)
Here is mine, a black rapid. I wanted 2 points as well mainly because I dont trust the single point on my third part grip. Which is just a little piece of plastic. So I got a couple op-tech utility straps and put one on the joby arca plate and the other through the camera strap lug. You could do the same with no grip by just using one strap on the camera lug.

Thanks!

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long Camera Strap?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.