Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 19 Feb 2006 (Sunday) 15:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Album Questions

DAG123
77 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 19, 2006 15:46 |  #1

I would like to find out how you all create your albums. Not the PS part but how many photos, sizes etc.

How many 8x10's?
How many compositions?
How many total photos?
Do you use frames? Like Mike's Framer

I am just putting one together now and would like to know what you think a good balance is. I am new at this and would like a general idea of how you pro's do it. And...what do you charge for an album of compositions and individual photos.

Here is a look at one of my first 8x10 comps...pretty basic layout. I am also looking for cool layout ideas...anywhere I can view other albums for inspiration?

http://www.videolegaci​es.ca/samples.htm (external link)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2006 09:15 |  #2

My album packages are fairly standard. If someone can afford a premium book I will have Zookbinders assemble everything with glove leather. The pages are mounted with framed mattes so I have them sprayed by the lab with a protective lustre coat.

Most of my clients are middle to up middle class folks and are very happy with the Topflight albums that I purchase from Albums Inc. and then assemble. I offer six enlargement packages in combos of 5x7, 8x10, etc.

The basic package includes (30) 5x7 enlargements of their selection, assembled into an inscribed album. Next is the same type of day coverage, but they receive (30) 8x10 enlargements. Then I have a mix of (30) 8x10 and (24) 5x7 in one album, and other packages with parent's albums included.

Again, I do all the assembly. The client also receives the complete set of proofs in it's own preview album(s).

Stu Pearl
Cleveland, Ohio

DAG123 wrote:
I would like to find out how you all create your albums. Not the PS part but how many photos, sizes etc.

How many 8x10's?
How many compositions?
How many total photos?
Do you use frames? Like Mike's Framer

I am just putting one together now and would like to know what you think a good balance is. I am new at this and would like a general idea of how you pro's do it. And...what do you charge for an album of compositions and individual photos.

Here is a look at one of my first 8x10 comps...pretty basic layout. I am also looking for cool layout ideas...anywhere I can view other albums for inspiration?

http://www.videolegaci​es.ca/samples.htm (external link)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

DAG123
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 20, 2006 18:34 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #3

Thanks Stu,

I guess each photographer would have his own custom packages to offer.

I was thinking of offering as a basic package an album of the proofs, that they choose their album from and offering several different packages like you do.

I am on the right track then...thanks again.

I will take a look at Album's Inc.

DAG123
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 20, 2006 18:36 |  #4

Stu...
Have you tried any of the other albums at Album's Inc? Besides the TopFlight?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2006 20:02 as a reply to  @ DAG123's post |  #5

Well, I confess to have fallen into a lazy rut I guess.....no I have not, and probably should consider some other album lines. They have a lot of fine choices - some more expensive, some less. It's a matter of sample product though. I keep minimal inventory of album pieces-parts on hand (not a lot of storage space) the more choices you offer, the more samples you have to maintain.

If clients inquire, I do offer them other alternatives. Either they want something decent and affordable - eg. Topflight - or they want to go the extra expense of a leather bound Zookbinder.

DAG123 wrote:
Stu...
Have you tried any of the other albums at Album's Inc? Besides the TopFlight?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2006 20:08 as a reply to  @ DAG123's post |  #6

Yes, you have to go with what you're comfortable with, and what the clients in your area seem to want.

One of my offerings is actually the proof album of all the previews shot, sold as the finished book. Some clients want an economical pacakge of a large number of small (5x5) photos, as opposed to a smaller number of 8x10 enlargements. The preview book fits their needs.

I am completely up front with them about this, explaining that these are uncropped enlargements, mounted in an economical album, un-matted. If they wish to purchase additional enalargements, this can be done a-la-carte.

The preview book I sell holds 175-230 proofs, has an inscribed front cover, and comes with full day coverage.

DAG123 wrote:
Thanks Stu,

I guess each photographer would have his own custom packages to offer.

I was thinking of offering as a basic package an album of the proofs, that they choose their album from and offering several different packages like you do.

I am on the right track then...thanks again.

I will take a look at Album's Inc.

GEAR LIST

DAG123
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 20, 2006 20:29 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #7

I could not find any prices on Albums Inc...
What does something like a 15 (30 sides) album cost...approximately?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2006 20:46 as a reply to  @ DAG123's post |  #8

Well Dag, lemme' check a recent invoice....

UNI-2888-OW Gray Cameo Album front & back cover $31.40
UNI-810 Gray Page Mats (you'll need 2 1/2 packs) $11.30/pack
UNI-800 Gray Acetate Base pages (2 1/2 packs) $16.40/pack
2-Line cover imprinting $10.00
My Studio Dye Imprint 2.00

Here's the way it works: The mats come 12/pack. You can't buy them in half packs so you really need to buy 3 of them. That comes to $33.90. Similar arrangement for the base pages that hold the mats - that's 3 x 16.40 for $49.20. There's one cover at $31.40. Total imprinting comes to $12. Then there's shipping and tax.

So to hold (30) 8x10 enlargements, your initial investment is about $135 give or take a little to allow for the tax and shipping. But you do have some of the split packs left over for the next job. That's why I like to keep my album style offerings to a minimum since you're left with pieces and parts until the next "assembly." Hope this gives you a good general idea.

ps. - These are net/wholesale prices (which I think are too high anyway). Supposed "regular" pricing to civilians is double this.

Stu Pearl
Cleveland, Ohio

DAG123 wrote:
I could not find any prices on Albums Inc...
What does something like a 15 (30 sides) album cost...approximately?

GEAR LIST

DAG123
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 20, 2006 21:51 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #9

Thanks again Stu, I really appreciate the inside info. It was exactly what I was looking for.

When I was looking over the Albums Inc site it was a bit confusing to what exactly I need to create the album...but your info filled me in on that.

So I need...

Front and back cover
Page matts
Base pages?
An imprinting

That is all I need to create the album?

One question...does an 8x10 matt cover any of an 8x10 photo? How much of a border do you need so you are not covering parts of the photo with matt?

Thanks again for your help.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2006 22:03 as a reply to  @ DAG123's post |  #10

Yeah, I didn't think their website was 100% informative when it came to actually assembling what you needed. Glad I could help - no sense in reinventing the wheel since I'm happy to loan you my tires :D .

First thing you should do is order a catalog (free) from the site. That has a number of helpful diagrams for each of the vendors they sell.

I use the acetate (base) pages. Picture an acetate sleeve, with rigid paper on the inside, and a brass pinstyle hinge on the left. Each base page has 2 sides. Each side will hold 1-8x10 mat, or a mat that will hold 2-5x7 photos, OR a mat that will show 4-5x5 photos.... you get the picture. Some people don't like the acetate because they feel it gives it a cheap plastic look (yes, possibly), and causes a little glare.

I use the acetate pages though because it provides a physical, protective barrier for the photo, against the greesy, dirty, careless fingers of those who don't appreciate that good photos are fragile beautiful objects of art to be shown some consideration. Most of my clients prefer this so I continue to sell the item. Sometimes they'll order the Zook so I have the pix sprayed.

Stu

DAG123 wrote:
Thanks again Stu, I really appreciate the inside info. It was exactly what I was looking for.

When I was looking over the Albums Inc site it was a bit confusing to what exactly I need to create the album...but your info filled me in on that.

So I need...

Front and back cover
Page matts
Base pages?
An imprinting

One question...does an 8x10 matt cover any of an 8x10 photo? How much of a border do you need so you are not covering parts of the photo with matt?

GEAR LIST

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2006 22:12 as a reply to  @ DAG123's post |  #11

The other stuff too - you can buy non acetate pages also which look very nice. But they are a different item number, along with the mats than the other pages. This is an inexpensive alternative to that "Zook look."

I think the mat comes in no more than 1/4" on each side over the photo, maybe a little less. There are cut notches at each of the 4 corners for "locking" the photo in. I will sometimes lengthen those slits with a razor if I need to reposition the enlargement for a little better framing.

I always have a 2-line imprint on the cover, lower right corner. First line: Bride & Groom Name; Second line: date of wedding. On the inside of the front cover I have my studio dye imprint, bottom center, center justified (which doesn't show here):

Stuart Pearl Photography
Lyndurst, Ohio 44124
Phone Number

DAG123 wrote:
So I need...

Front and back cover
Page matts
Base pages?
An imprinting

GEAR LIST

NGrinerPhoto
489 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 20, 2006 22:48 |  #12

I just started using Art Leather's iMount books. I buy the 10x10's and 5x5's in 5 packs. The 10x10's are only about $50 each. The 5x5's are about $30. I stock albums with 10 pages (20 sides) and have the 10x10 (or 5x5) prints made at my local pro lab. The entire 10x10 album costs me around $150. Keep in mind the time it takes to build the pages. I sell the 10x10 for $500 and the 5x5 for $250.

The quality is surprisingly good. I was a little leery at first but have been happy with the results.

Check out www.almkt.com (external link). It's the pro site.

DAG123
THREAD ­ STARTER
77 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 20, 2006 22:51 |  #13

I think I am set. I registered for an account and will place my order as soon as I get approved. This looks like I may become a steady customer. I like easy.

sponsored links

2,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
Album Questions
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.