Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

At what aperture are most of your landscape shots?

Olivier-blackandwhite
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 09, 2014 11:48 |  #46

7.1 is so elegant on the top-panel LCD display of my camera, I use it very often :-)

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/olivierbertran​d (external link)
http://www.blackandwhi​te.book.fr (external link)

sponsored links
JonQCanon
76 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 09, 2014 12:37 |  #47

I'm usually at f/11, unless I'm trying to get a sunstar.

www.grinandbarrettphot​ography.comexternal link

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2014 14:06 |  #48

Any where from f/8-f/11 depending on available light.

5Dii ~ 80D
Canon 14L ~ Canon 24-105L mkII ~ Canon 50 f1.8 STM ~ Canon 135L ~ Sigma 100-400 ~ Canon 1.4x mkII

chaks
34 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 17, 2014 11:18 |  #49

f/8 to f/11

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,880 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2014 11:40 |  #50

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17173648 (external link)
Wow, Walt . . . according to that graph, you took 4 pictures last year at a focal length of 6 millimeters! I didn't know they even had lenses that wide.

No..... 4 times at 1/6 :twisted:

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,832 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Tareq.

Dec 22, 2014 21:58 |  #51

In the past when i was a dump, i keep using f16-f22, but when i learnt about diffraction, i changed to f/5.6-f/11, but i use f/8-f/11 range the most.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

la_ricecooker
228 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 27, 2014 15:53 as a reply to  @ post 17173637 |  #52

That's a solid tool. I might have to look into that. Thanks for the post.

First three Canon 5Ds. Some lights (some really fancy ones too). Some glass (maybe a few too many but who's keeping track?). Some cool stamps on my passport.

stronics
73 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 08, 2015 17:49 |  #53

I would have to say f8 also.
David

BastardSheep
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 28, 2015 18:07 |  #54

The best way to decide on what aperture to use is to test your lens. I did this by lining up a shot on a tripod, external shutter release, all settings on manual so only what I specifically want to change will change, then took numerous shots of the same vista at different apertures. I found on my two most common landscape lenses that f/5.6 to f/8 was the sharpest area, and they both started getting noticable dropoffs in sharpness from f/11 onwards.

Now that I know this I try to keep my aperture in the f/5.6 to f/8 range, trying to keep it below f/11. If I really need to push DoF I will push my aperture to f/16, but beyond that there's no net gain due to losses of sharpness from the small aperture. I only push my lenses beyond f/16 if I need it to get a longer exposure than my CPL/ND filters can get me.

Your milage may vary. All lenses are different. Yours may very well be able to be pushed further than mine.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Canon EOS 60D | Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 C | Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 | Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon 430ex II
Flickr (external link)

ARsiega
31 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 04, 2015 00:33 |  #55

I've used f/8-f/22, but I seldomly use f/22. Most of my shots are at f/14-f/16.

Canon EOS M5: Canon EF-M 15-45mm, Canon EF-M 22mm, Canon EF 50mm STM, Tamron 16-300mm

RKlukas
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by RKlukas.

Feb 06, 2015 11:11 |  #56

The question has more aspects than you might think. First we tend to look at images close up as we are photographers.
Holding a print or looking at an image, at 10" to study the detail is common.
The maximum resolution of the human eye at 10" is generally considered to be 8LP (line pairs) per MM. This means that at 10", with 20/20 vision, you could see 4 lines and 4 spaces.
So this is the resolution required for a tack sharp image the same size as your sensor. I know ridiculous...
What people miss in choosing an aperture is the factor of final print/projection size.
If you don't intend to print or project large, you can stop down much further, than if you intend to just look at on your monitor.

So as an example let's say you want to make a super sharp 8x10 print from your FF camera.
This is effectively an 8x enlargement. So we take the maximum eye resolution of 8LP and multiply by 8.
To make a really sharp 8x10 we need 64 lines per mm resolution.
All apertures have a maximum theoretical resolution limit.
At F22 this is 32LPMM. At F16 we reach the upper 40's in LPMM. At F11 we are into the 60LPMM country, but remember these are a theoretical, so we need actually better than that, so F8 becomes a better aperture for an 8x10 for fine detail etc.
But if we want to make a 16x20 or 20x24 we now need 128LPMM so you see what many of the contributors above have found while making images that more open is better, depending on final print/image use.
A wide open aperture tends to be an issue as well as the image projection of the image from the lens is a shallow bowl or sphere. Not unlike a cooking wok. When you use your lens wide open, the corners are never as sharp as the center of the image, due this shape, caused by curvature of field. As you close down, the sphere or wok shape of the projected image from the lens, flattens to bring the corners into the same plane as the center.
So, on balance the absolute, best balance of aperture to intended size of use, for most lenses, will be 1 to 2 stops down from wide open and due to one more issue, 2 stops down would be my choice.
That last issue is focus shift. This is an issue that affects all lenses. As you close the aperture, the red light rays move forward, more or less, from the plane of focus on the sensor, depending on the lens. Closing the aperture increases DOF, but also increases the Depth of Focus at the sensor.
So stopping down 2 stops will encompass the shift of the red light rays, and all will appear sharp.
Hope this wasn't too boring but it is an important aspect of lenses and their use.
Rod

Rod Klukas
US Representative
Arca-Swiss Int.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,492 posts
Gallery: 650 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 11, 2015 06:30 |  #57

Something between f8 and f18. Depends of the dof and the speed i want to use.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,492 posts
Gallery: 650 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by Azathoth. (2 edits in all)

Feb 11, 2015 06:34 |  #58

Tareq wrote in post #17346916 (external link)
In the past when i was a dump, i keep using f16-f22, but when i learnt about diffraction, i changed to f/5.6-f/11, but i use f/8-f/11 range the most.

People like to refer the loss of detail because of refraction. But they also forget that a zoom lens may not be very sharp at f5.6.

People should take a look at this:
http://petapixel.com …-fear-of-shooting-at-f11/ (external link)

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

AngelofDepth
175 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 11, 2015 07:59 |  #59

I usually shoot at f11 with an ultra wide lens.

flickr (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,182 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 11, 2015 08:05 |  #60

With DOF being a function of focal length it really depends on what lens I'm using and how close the foreground elements are. There really aren't any recipes.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sponsored links

21,274 views & 6 likes for this thread
At what aperture are most of your landscape shots?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.