Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2014 (Monday) 16:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So you call yourself a photographer

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 22, 2014 16:52 |  #1

the following little vid illustrates why I do not call myself a photographer. People like this guy however, are photographers. Creativity literally seeping out of his pores...disgusting, right? ;)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=tuJrm53Q0dE (external link)
bw!

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 22, 2014 17:02 |  #2

I loved the Chase Jarvis one with the Lego camera!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 22, 2014 17:05 |  #3

It's so true! Genius is genius.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 22, 2014 17:21 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #4

I went through the video, while watching after project at work. Sitting and waiting for my part during last five hours.
I have no audio for this video due to this. On video it seems like final pictures were heavy manipulated in PS. To me it isn't about to be photographer but special effects artist.
Or was it long exposure?
Nothing which strikes my in term of photography in pictures at the end of the video.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 22, 2014 17:32 |  #5

kf095 wrote in post #17171659 (external link)
I went through the video, while watching after project at work. Sitting and waiting for my part during last five hours.
I have no audio for this video due to this. On video it seems like final pictures were heavy manipulated in PS. To me it isn't about to be photographer but special effects artist.
Or was it long exposure?
Nothing which strikes my in term of photography in pictures at the end of the video.

What? Photography isn't just one thing or type of photo.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Didereaux
THREAD ­ STARTER
415 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 22, 2014 17:32 |  #6

Or was it long exposure?

Many of those shots were not ps manipulated, Especially not the big yellow square windowy thing, clarity, vibrance, probably exposure etc but no psing. the black scarf ones, and tenny runners were. So I remain impressed with his creativity, and eye. You are welcome to your opinion.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 22, 2014 20:58 as a reply to  @ Didereaux's post |  #7

I think it it brilliant. I watched parts of some of the others and IMO they showed some of the limitations. You could of course argue that the type of shooting he was doing is not exactly camera dependent.

The best thing about it was just watching him work. Using the 'crappy' camera with 14 shots was just an extra that made it even better.

Best one I've seen so far IMO is the Benjamin Von Wong one.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 24, 2014 08:09 |  #8

On video it seems like final pictures were heavy manipulated in PS. To me it isn't about to be photographer but special effects artist.
Or was it long exposure?

These kinds of comments always make me think the person speaking is someone who never worked with film.

If the same manipulated images had been produced with film, would the person then qualify as a "photographer"? Not trying to be mean, honest question.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Gallery: 483 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 24, 2014 08:16 |  #9

That whole series on Digital Rev is fun to watch, it is fun and can teach a good bit about improvisation and working with what you have...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2014 11:30 |  #10

I picked up a cheap little camera in a "thrift" store for $5 a few months ago and have had some good times with it!:)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Gallery: 483 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 24, 2014 11:44 |  #11

tonylong wrote in post #17175159 (external link)
I picked up a cheap little camera in a "thrift" store for $5 a few months ago and have had some good times with it!:)

I picked up a PowerShot S95, a little more than $5 but I am working on a project based around advanced point and shoots...I am looking forward to working with it this weekend.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2014 12:09 |  #12

ve been having some "issues", crazy stuff. This morning a little squirrel popped up on a sunflower my daughter had planted, I got people to look at it, they wanted pictures, but because I'm at this point pretty much crippled, this is all I could come up with trying to work around a table and chairs and manual focus and such:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I'

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 24, 2014 12:18 |  #13

this was funny and i sort of like digital rev, but i think it show's that any one can be a photographer theses days !being truly good at it,thats another story .

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,304 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2014 12:24 |  #14

the video makes a good point reinforcing that creativity is in the mind of the photographer, not the equipment. However, the video failed to mention that without decent editing software, many of those pictures wouldn't have been possible with the point-and-shoot camera alone.

flickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 24, 2014 15:16 |  #15

hes gone wrote in post #17174846 (external link)
=he's gone;17174846]These kinds of comments always make me think the person speaking is someone who never worked with film.

If the same manipulated images had been produced with film, would the person then qualify as a "photographer"? Not trying to be mean, honest question.

OK. I'm great photographer then. This one was printed last night. With dodge&burn.

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-b75Ggw4d2U8/VCMj179MP2I/AAAAAAAApF4/byHXYmgtE3U/s640-no/bristolframe.jpg

BTW, comments like yours are from those who aren't able to read entire comments, signature included. Peace out :)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

3,471 views & 0 likes for this thread
So you call yourself a photographer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.