Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This looks like the subforum to introduce myself....

skifastbadly
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 24, 2014 18:29 |  #1

Hi. My name is Craig and I've just joined the forum. I would classify myself as a returning photographer. Which means that I used to be a very active amateur until I noticed that I couldn't buy the film I liked anymore. And then there wasn't any convenient place to have it processed. And pretty soon, it seemed more trouble than it was worth.

I bought my first Canon SLR in 1980-ish, a AE1 which I ran thousands of rolls of film through. It was an excellent camera (I still have it, in fact) in terms of quality, usefulness, and it was sufficiently manual in nature that I had to learn about what fstops were, how they impacted depth of field, etc. I love this camera.

In the mid 90s I bought the EOS Elan IIe. Now we were talking! Auto focus, auto this, auto that....my kids were young, so I splurged on both the 28-70 and 70-200 L lenses. I love that camera as well.

Well, like I said, pretty soon I was down to either mailing my film to a lab or trusting the teenagers at Costco, so I kind of just fell away from it.

I thought about going digital, but was put off by the non-full frame Canons, as I wanted to use my EOS lenses without farting around with calculating what the actual focal length was, etc., and I wasn't going to spend 3500 or so on the 5D. So I didn't do anything for years.

Since people like to share pictures, I tried scanning my photos, but with fairly lousy results. And good god, they took up space. And how do you print them? So I bagged that.

But I have several trips coming up to places I'm unlikely to return to, so last night I ordered the 6D. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I'm going to spend a lot of time here because I have gobs of questions. Like how ISO on a digital camera maps to film ISO. And should I shoot Raw or JPEG or what?

Anyway I'll be lurking and asking questions.

Nice to meet you all.

Craig

Canon AE1 Canon Elan IIe Canon Elan 7e
Canon 6D
Canon 28-70L (non IS)
Canon 70-200L (non IS)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,637 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 24, 2014 23:36 |  #2

Hi Craig and welcome to POTN. Stick around there is much to learn. As to your first two questions:

1.) There is essentially no difference between film ISO and digital ISO. ISO 100 is just like shooting ISO 100 film. Now you don't have to wait till the end of the roll to change it though.

2.) Always shoot RAW. You will have much more control in post processing to change things around if you want to.

Mark

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,954 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 25, 2014 16:09 |  #3

Welcome to POTN, Craig.

Generally I'd agree that you should shoot raw - it's very easy to process with Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software. But sometimes JPEG makes more sense, like if you're just shooting documentation (this is what the engine looks like when it's apart, here is where the pipes are buried, etc.).

I gather you haven't gotten a DSLR yet - I wouldn't dismiss the crop models so quickly. Quality of images is excellent and it doesn't take long to get used to the equivalent focal length conversion. Pretty soon you'll find you're not thinking about it at all.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

SoBlessednTX
44 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2014 09:05 |  #4

Welcome to POTN, Craig. I have been on here since 2009. I haven't commented much, but have really enjoyed the great wealth of information here.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

621 views & 0 likes for this thread
This looks like the subforum to introduce myself....
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.