Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 17:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Very First Impressions of the 6D

rgs
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 02, 2014 10:04 |  #31

stevewf1 wrote in post #17189440 (external link)
You don't have to shoot RAW right now. It isn't like JPEGs are all going to be a worthless waste of time. If a JPEG comes out looking pretty darn good, I'm not sure there's a whole lot more where RAW will help - or if it would be worth the effort.

Actually, to start, I'd just shoot JPEG until you get the hang of using the camera and look at your shots using something like Irfanview. You'll be more able to quickly see where you're going wrong, or right. You're not going to be able to truly judge your photos by looking at them on the LCD screen.

I'm sorry but I disagree - strongly. If you just want the camera's automated result, this may be good advice.

But remember Ansel Adams' analogy of the negative being the merely the written composition and the print the performance. Put in a digital context, that means the image file is just the beginning of a realized image.

OP, JPEG is just not as flexible as RAW and having a bunch of early JPEGs that you regret making because your skills are growing but the JPEG won't let you reach your personal vision for an image is not a good position to find yourself in. Shoot RAW. If you don't want to process RAWs right now, shoot RAW+JPEG and save the RAWs for when you have a better idea what you want to do. But don't handicap yourself with a buch of JPEGs that you will later regret.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 02, 2014 16:39 |  #32

^ Sold advice.

After about a year of shooting only raw, I wish I had my older photos as raw for processing.
There are some that could be corrected and fixed better if they were raw.

If you have space on the SD card, and your external disk, shoot both. You will be thankfully later.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

stevewf1
806 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 03, 2014 03:07 |  #33

Hold on, I'm not advocating JPEG over RAW, not at all. Just saying that the OP might shoot JPEG for awhile until he gets comfortable with the camera and how it exposes in different scenes. He'll get quick full-screen images to see how he and the camera are doing. Then he can get into all the processing with RAW... Just a suggestion.

Steve

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 03, 2014 03:59 as a reply to  @ stevewf1's post |  #34

Or maybe just shoot RAW, and export them in DPP using a jpg present. You get the best of both worlds; a RAW image to edit later (if needed)and a .jpg that you can use now with no adjustments.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

palad1n
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 03, 2014 06:06 |  #35

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17191264 (external link)
Or maybe just shoot RAW, and export them in DPP using a jpg present. You get the best of both worlds; a RAW image to edit later (if needed)and a .jpg that you can use now with no adjustments.

problem is, pure RAW image just converted to jpeg looks worse than jpeg edited in camera.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 03, 2014 06:11 |  #36

palad1n wrote in post #17191346 (external link)
problem is, pure RAW image just converted to jpeg looks worse than jpeg edited in camera.

i shoot small jpg and edited in the same camera and some times with a tiny touch with DPP on the computer
I hate big RAW files , i know it's better for editting but I'm so lazy , i like the easy way and fast work

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 03, 2014 06:29 |  #37

Congrats ! For the new camera

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2014 06:48 |  #38

palad1n wrote in post #17191346 (external link)

Using DPP, they should be identical...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

palad1n
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 03, 2014 07:20 |  #39

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17191374 (external link)
Using DPP, they should be identical...

i never used dPP, so i can´tell, but ACR keeps RAW untouched except it remaps automatically stuck/hot/dead pixels and removes color noise.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2014 07:26 |  #40

palad1n wrote in post #17191408 (external link)
i never used dPP, so i can´tell, but ACR keeps RAW untouched except it remaps automatically stuck/hot/dead pixels and removes color noise.

So does DPP... no raw converter changes the raw data. DPP just honors your in-camera settings so that it can produce the same JPG as the camera would. Spend your time getting the shot right in camera, and DPP rewards you. The other raw converters don't, they make you start from the same baseline, photo by photo, requiring you to do all that work over again.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 03, 2014 07:40 |  #41

Hi congrats on the new camera. One thing no one touched is, if you don't have you monitor calibrated chances of getting a good print from your printer or any other print place is pretty slim.
Most of us have our screens set up way too bright and what you see on the screen is not what you are going to see on paper. :)

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,204 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 03, 2014 07:46 |  #42

awesomeshots wrote in post #17191427 (external link)
Hi congrats on the new camera. One thing no one touched is, if you don't have you monitor calibrated chances of getting a good print from your printer or any other print place is pretty slim.
Most of us have our screens set up way too bright and what you see on the screen is not what you are going to see on paper. :)

Very good point, I never believed that until I calibrated my home equipment (monitors and printer). What the manufacturers sell you isn't what the photos will look like.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 03, 2014 07:48 |  #43

Awesome, you are a genius. I agree with you 100%. My images have turned out much better on screen and especially printed since getting a calibrator for my monitor. Now I actually get what I see on screen when I get the printed. Prior to my Color Munki, all of my shot were way to dark when printed.
I calibrate about every other week, and even before some jobs to make sure I am getting what I need on them.
So right now, while OP is learning, not that big of a deal. But when you get the chance to, and the money, make sure you look at getting some sort of calibrating option. Even the less than $100 Color Munki was a HUGE difference in the finished products for me.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Gallery: 267 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 03, 2014 07:48 |  #44

I love my 6D. It's the best "photo buy" I've made in a very long time...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 03, 2014 08:37 |  #45

A year ago I was in a similar position, having only had digital P&S cameras, preceded by a Nikon SLR. Welcome to the digital SLR, it's a whole new world. My path was less sure than yours, starting with a T3, then quickly outgrowing it for a 70D. You made a great choice starting with the 6D.

Beware Ken Rockwell's advice. I took it when starting out because I didn't know any better, but he really likes to go to extremes. He puts sharpening quite high (IIRC he recommends +6, I stop at +5) and WAY over-saturates his stuff (think 3+ saturation, when even +2 can be too much in-camera, especially if you don't enjoy orange people). It wasn't bad to start when I knew no better, and those settings make your photos 'pop', but you will probably quickly realize they are overdoing it.

Re: RAW vs. JPEG - I shoot RAW+JPEG all the time. I keep most of the JPEGs, mostly of family photos and those ok to keep but not good enough to be worth spending time on. I edit and keep RAWs that I consider 'keeper' photos, then delete the rest. This path also gives me good reason to get it as right in-camera as I possibly can, that way even the non-'keeper' JPEGs are good photos. Since I don't ever plan on editing every photo this is the best compromise for me, FWIW.

It was mentioned before, but don't forget you can change the adjustment wheels to fit your style. I usually shoot Av (Aperture Priority), so I'm very much used to having aperture under my index finger. When you go to Manual, it puts shutter at your finger & aperture at your thumb. You can switch those in the controls menu. If I shot Tv more, I'd want to leave it default. Just something to consider if you find yourself shooting Av a lot; it makes the switch to manual easier because of your muscle memory (Aperture = finger).

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links

7,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
Very First Impressions of the 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.