Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
Thread started 27 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Child Endangerment" What Some Photographers Won't Do

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 15, 2014 17:25 |  #61

ada77, no one said it's okay to take photos of people on an active roadway, either.

That's also quite dangerous. Look, do what you want. This is about trying to make people think twice before deciding that they should do a shoot on the tracks. Because if you look at the People section of this forum, it seems there are quite a few photographers who think it's fine.

And to me, that's a scary thing. When I work within the right-of-way of (not even on) the rails for my professional (non-photographic) work, I'm required to have the following or I get thrown off the job site, no questions asked:

Valid proof that I've passed the relevant safety training course within the last year;
A copy of the safety manual
Hard hat
Safety glasses
Safety vest (safety orange, not yellow)
Boots covering my ankles (steel toes optional but recommended)
Long pants
Also I need to have signed in with the safety officer and have that person or another person with radio contact with the trains with me at all times.

P.S. And even with all that, railway workers still get killed, with regularity. Same with roadway workers. The last rail project I was on, there had been a serious incident, a "close call" is what they called it, meaning it could have been much worse, but there were injuries.

That helps to make it real. I just think that these people are not taking the potential dangers seriously enough, that's all.

All New Year, All New Sig !

sponsored links
adza77
652 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 15, 2014 20:05 |  #62

Thanks Tustin - I get that. It's good to get people thinking about the dangers and I agree that it seems many people aren't taking potential dangers seriously.

Where I guess I'm confused is why people seem more vocal about voicing concerns about Rail photography but not about other things such as Road photography, and can guess it only comes down to familiarity and popularity - and not so much logic, as to me - it seems as though what's good for one should apply to the other.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 16, 2014 08:22 |  #63

gonzogolf wrote in post #17214890 (external link)
Not to attempt to rebut every point above, but I would bet every one of the 400 odd people killed in train accidents thought they were prudently managing ther risk. I have no idea whether if you equalize train miles per incident versus auto miles travelled per incident which is safer for pedestrians. But the point here is that many people take risks not knowing the how big a risk they sre taking because they fail to appreciate their lack of knowledge. I'm sure there are safe circumstances, decommissioned rails, or sidings that are only used periodically. But the problem here is when you assume you have a better grasp of the situation than you really do.

that doesn't always involve trains, we all do this every day. its why we have have laws and rules and training and certifications and signs and warning labels.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 16, 2014 08:28 |  #64

TustinMike wrote in post #17214914 (external link)
ada77, no one said it's okay to take photos of people on an active roadway, either.

That's also quite dangerous. Look, do what you want. This is about trying to make people think twice before deciding that they should do a shoot on the tracks. Because if you look at the People section of this forum, it seems there are quite a few photographers who think it's fine.

And to me, that's a scary thing. When I work within the right-of-way of (not even on) the rails for my professional (non-photographic) work, I'm required to have the following or I get thrown off the job site, no questions asked:

Valid proof that I've passed the relevant safety training course within the last year;
A copy of the safety manual
Hard hat
Safety glasses
Safety vest (safety orange, not yellow)
Boots covering my ankles (steel toes optional but recommended)
Long pants
Also I need to have signed in with the safety officer and have that person or another person with radio contact with the trains with me at all times.

P.S. And even with all that, railway workers still get killed, with regularity. Same with roadway workers. The last rail project I was on, there had been a serious incident, a "close call" is what they called it, meaning it could have been much worse, but there were injuries.

That helps to make it real. I just think that these people are not taking the potential dangers seriously enough, that's all.

of course not, i working the transportation industry, i've been on site many many times and you know as well as I that the number one reason people get hurt or killed on the job is complacency. you get comfortable and you forget to pay attention.

train tracks are comfortable to people, we see them every day and hardly ever with trains on them so of course people feel like they can walk on them. its the same reason some people (like me) drive over 80mph, sure its stupid and serves no purpose except that its comfortable.

surviving each day is lucky for many many people.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 17, 2014 04:34 |  #65

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i266.photobucke​t.com …F5122356B_zpsli​mgddgg.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 20, 2014 23:41 |  #66

From the look of the surrounding, it seem this is shot at the train station. My guess is that the train is not moving and probably not even in idling position. The composition just make a good impact.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 21, 2014 00:22 |  #67

I take it nobody introduces their kids to skiing, wrestling or any other sport that has risk in it.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,688 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2014 10:35 |  #68

^ Ummm, I think it's probably safe to say that nobody on this board puts their 1-year old in an easy chair, puts that chair on a ski, and tries to shoot photos of the kid going down the slope, while they are skiing backwards.

All New Year, All New Sig !

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,196 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 21, 2014 12:00 |  #69

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #17224559 (external link)
I take it nobody introduces their kids to skiing, wrestling or any other sport that has risk in it.

The risk of injury in sports is balanced against gains in fitness, social development, confidence, and leadership skills. The risk of death or dismemberment ftom posing on an active rail line is balanced against a cliche photo.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 22, 2014 00:41 |  #70

someone0 wrote in post #17224521 (external link)
From the look of the surrounding, it seem this is shot at the train station. My guess is that the train is not moving and probably not even in idling position. The composition just make a good impact.

Thank you. It's a museum with bunch of old trains about 10 mins from my house. Took the kids to see the trains and we decided to be little silly on the tracks.

There were a few other copy cats after we were done. :lol:

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 22, 2014 01:04 |  #71

awesomeshots wrote in post #17226569 (external link)
There were a few other copy cats after we were done. :lol:

Always have those, it's the photographer job to lead the way. Went to grand canyon last time w/ my cousins from foreign land. People are too scare to stand on the edge to take pictures, I laid down and get my head and about a foot of my upper-body over the edge, leaving most of my body and legs laid on the land, so it's definitely safe, considering most of my body mass isn't on my head. After I'm done shooting pictures that way, I saw about 10 other doing the same.

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Oct 22, 2014 01:08 |  #72

awesomeshots wrote in post #17226569 (external link)
Thank you. It's a museum with bunch of old trains about 10 mins from my house. Took the kids to see the trains and we decided to be little silly on the tracks.

Also, you could kill off the train on the left, that's a bit of a give away. Add some shadow/burn it a little. But then again, somebody who see that could report you for child endangerment.

garciarf
317 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 27, 2014 21:18 |  #73

We've all done stupid things, but putting others at risk due to your own stupidity is something completely different.

As a railfan, I've had trains sneak up on me while I was expecting them. Even though I was at a safe distance I still get startled, and more than once went "What the bloody hell was that????"

There's also a difference between having only adults who can move, but having kids (and a damn piece of furniture) is a completely different thing. I have relatives who like to hang out on the tracks with a ton of kids and such, I've given up all hope of trying to steer them in a different path.

I wouldn't have called the police, I would have just phoned whichever RR owns the line, they should be able to alert crews of people fouling the tracks and most likely would have sent their own police officer to investigate.

Felipe G
EOS 1Ds, 1D Mark III, 7D, XT. 18-55, 70-200 f4L, 28-135, 28-70 f2.8L, 40mm 2.8, Tokina 12-24, Sigma 80-400 OS, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS, 1.4x Extender III.
My Gallery: http://fgrphoto.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

13,795 views & 1 like for this thread
"Child Endangerment" What Some Photographers Won't Do
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.