Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac Mini light comes on, but no chime.

yamatama
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 28, 2014 21:15 |  #1

I was editing in lightroom when my mac mini froze, I turned it off and back on.. the light turned on but there are no chime, only the light and the fan noise louder than normal. Im really worried, I dont want to loose my files.. has anyone experience this? Tomorrow Il be taking it to the apple dealer first thing in the morning.

Nikon D750, 35 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G
My website www.williamdelacruz.co​m (external link)
FB like page https://www.facebook.c​om/WilliamDeLaCruzPhot​o (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 29, 2014 16:11 |  #2

1. What model of Mac Mini do you have? (From the About this Mac in the upper left of the screen.)
2. What is your OS version?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 01, 2014 18:46 |  #3

Tony-S wrote in post #17184452 (external link)
1. What model of Mac Mini do you have? (From the About this Mac in the upper left of the screen.)
2. What is your OS version?

sorry for the delay, Mac OS X 10.9, Mavericks

So I have an Update, luckily from the local repair store they told me that the data is intact, the problem was the motherboard. My warranty still covers the new motherboard so thats not a problem. The problem is that apple told me that I needed to Backup before I send the unit. As I said in my first post my mac mini wont boot so theres the dilemma. What would be the best way to backup and recover the data before sending it to apple?

Thanks in advance and please forgive my poor english.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 01, 2014 20:31 |  #4

You can try to boot it into Target Disk Mode by holding the 'T' key when you turn it on. Keep holding the T key for at least one minute, or until the Firewire emblem appears on your screen. If that works, then you can connect it to another Mac that has a Firewire cable.

If you don't have another Mac or it won't go into Target Disk Mode, your only option is to remove the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure to back up on another Mac.

HOWEVER, first try a few things before going to all this trouble.

Have you made any modifications to the computer, such as putting in new RAM modules?

1. Press and hold the Option key and turn the power on. Keep the Option key pressed for a minute or two. If the computer boots, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to choose your Recovery partition for booting. If that boots, then launch Utilities > Disk Utility and repair the hard disk.

2. Unplug the Mini and press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Plug it in and see if it boots.

3. If neither of these work and you have an internet connection, press the 'R' key and turn on the power. Keep the R key pressed and within 3 minutes you should see a recovery boot over the internet. If you don't see it by 3 minutes it probably isn't going to work.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

yamatama
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 02, 2014 18:36 |  #5

Tony-S wrote in post #17188960 (external link)
You can try to boot it into Target Disk Mode by holding the 'T' key when you turn it on. Keep holding the T key for at least one minute, or until the Firewire emblem appears on your screen. If that works, then you can connect it to another Mac that has a Firewire cable.

If you don't have another Mac or it won't go into Target Disk Mode, your only option is to remove the hard drive and put it in an external enclosure to back up on another Mac.

HOWEVER, first try a few things before going to all this trouble.

Have you made any modifications to the computer, such as putting in new RAM modules?

1. Press and hold the Option key and turn the power on. Keep the Option key pressed for a minute or two. If the computer boots, use the arrow keys on the keyboard to choose your Recovery partition for booting. If that boots, then launch Utilities > Disk Utility and repair the hard disk.

2. Unplug the Mini and press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Plug it in and see if it boots.

3. If neither of these work and you have an internet connection, press the 'R' key and turn on the power. Keep the R key pressed and within 3 minutes you should see a recovery boot over the internet. If you don't see it by 3 minutes it probably isn't going to work.

Thank you so much!the firewire did the trick! You just saved my life :D

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mac Mini light comes on, but no chime.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.