Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

He wants what?

WillMeades
675 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 30, 2014 07:36 |  #1

I received an email from a guy that wants me to send him a full resolution file of a photo on my site "so that he can print it out and hang it in his living room". Of course, I have no clue as to who this is.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Here's is my reply...does this make sense?

"Please send me a little more information about yourself; location, occupation, any social media sites (facebook, etc.) I don't send original files out to anyone. I can however setup a high resolution file on my zenfolio site so that you can order a print from there. Are you a zenfolio member? If so, please send me a link to you page.
Sincerely,
Will"

“too much stuff, too little time"
WillMeades (external link)

sponsored links
tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 30, 2014 07:42 |  #2

eh kinda odd but not really. Just send him a link to the page where he can pay premium for it. haha

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2014 07:45 |  #3

Why do you need to know his occupation and what social media sites he is on? Weird questions to ask a potential customer.

Why not just quote prices for various size prints (excluding shipping) and see what his response is.

Peter

North ­ Dude
528 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2014 07:46 |  #4

He probably just tried to see if he could get a freebie. Good answer proposing to sell a print.

7D | 100L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 10-20 4-5.6 | Σ 17-50 2.8 OS | Σ 50 1.4 | Σ 1.4x | 580 EX II | other stuff

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,043 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 30, 2014 07:49 |  #5

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17185694 (external link)
Why do you need to know his occupation and what social media sites he is on? Weird questions to ask a potential customer.

Why not just quote prices for various size prints (excluding shipping) and see what his response is.

Yeah. Guy want's a picture on his wall. Guy who sells pictures to put on walls balks

...and threatens to stalk him on social media, or implies only people with certain jobs can buy his pictures?

Really beautiful shot btw.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, 6D, Canon 135, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 30, 2014 07:58 |  #6

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17185694 (external link)

I don't think it's so weird to ask when a stranger asks for a full resolution file. I have had other photographer friends that have had their photos stolen and sold by others and/or used on those photographers' sites to promote themselves. Now if he would have just asked me how he could get a print, that would be another story.

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 30, 2014 08:10 |  #7

WillMeades wrote in post #17185687 (external link)
.......Here's is my reply...does this make sense?

I don't think it's so weird to ask when a stranger asks for a full resolution file.....

Why bother asking for other peoples opinion if you already have your mind made up?

IMO I agree with the other replies, just point the potential customer to where he can purchase whatever it is yo sell and leave it at that.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 30, 2014 08:14 |  #8

And how exactly is asking him going to prevent that high resolution file being sold on by him after he receives it? The moment you supply a high resolution (or low resolution file for that matter) you effectively relinquish control and can reasonably expect it to not be used only as you intend. The joys and reality of the digital era.

If you have photographer friends who have supplied high resolution files (or made them available) who have then wondered why they got misused they to be frank they are naive.

There is no need to get completely irrelevant information for what is a simple print sale enquiry. The guy wants a print... offer a print... simple and easy.

BTW in business most customers are strangers... nature of the beast.

Peter

moose10101
registered smartass
1,678 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 30, 2014 08:22 |  #9

WillMeades wrote in post #17185713 (external link)
I don't think it's so weird to ask when a stranger asks for a full resolution file. I have had other photographer friends that have had their photos stolen and sold by others and/or used on those photographers' sites to promote themselves. Now if he would have just asked me how he could get a print, that would be another story.

If he's a photographer intending to steal the photo, he won't tell you he's a photographer.

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 30, 2014 08:26 as a reply to  @ moose10101's post |  #10

thanks for all of the replies...I've never sold a print and was taken a little off guard when I received the email asking for the full rez file. I should have just simply stated that I don't share files but would happily setup the file for him to order a print. I did however respond to him again, telling him that no info was needed for ordering a print and that I do not share files.
thanks again,
-will

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 30, 2014 08:33 |  #11

Sounds like you did the right thing by emailing him back. The social media sites/occupation was a bit out of touch.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 30, 2014 10:06 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I've done that before when buying from other artists. I find the vast majority of new or upcoming photographers don't particularly know how to create a good print, or any print at all.

WillMeades wrote in post #17185758 (external link)
..I've never sold a print
thanks again,
-will

and there, i was right.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 30, 2014 10:23 |  #13

Karl Johnston wrote in post #17185936 (external link)
I've done that before when buying from other artists. I find the vast majority of new or upcoming photographers don't particularly know how to create a good print, or any print at all.

and there, i was right.

So...how does one go about creating a good print? I'm all for increasing my knowledge!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 30, 2014 10:25 |  #14

WillMeades wrote in post #17185713 (external link)

If you arent friends, then yes its weird.

WillMeades
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 30, 2014 10:29 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #17185967 (external link)
If you arent friends, then yes its weird.

I think it's weird to ask a total stranger for a full rez file...

sponsored links

4,558 views & 0 likes for this thread
He wants what?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.