Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scott Kelby's take on 7D mark II after real world use

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 09, 2014 09:19 |  #136

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17203251 (external link)
A very fair and even-handed view of the situation. Sometimes utmost perfect IQ just isn't the core element that sells a product. Everyone complained about the AF on the 5D and 5D2, but both had great IQ? The 5D3 came out and fixed the issue. Now that we have a camera with great AF that is within spitting distance of the 5D2, some cry about the IQ. There is always something to complain about.

Probably because people expected that in 3 years between the 5D2 and 5D3, there would be some more improvements in the IQ. The 5D3 is still a very good camera, it just had a few little quirks and letdowns that kept it from being a perfect camera.

Cons:
1. IQ wasn't much improved
2. Those black AF points are impossible to see when shooting a dark reception.
3. The SD card slot was crippled to 20MB/s
4. When shooting to both cards, the write speed is super slow and the buffer is pretty poor.

Pros:
1. Two card slots
2. The new AF is really good
3. 6fps is enough for a lot of sports and makes it a really good all-around camera.
4. New Q button menu is great and super handy
5. New menu system was vastly improved and much easier to navigate
6. So many cross-type AFs
7. Silent shutter is great

If the SD card slot actually worked as well as expected and the sensor was more of an upgrade, it would have been just an incredible camera. As it was, it is still a really good camera, but a few oversights (?) by Canon makes you wonder as to why they didn't really get the grand slam there. It isn't like a fast SD reader would have been that hard to implement.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links
pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 09, 2014 11:12 |  #137

Paulstw wrote in post #17203035 (external link)
In hour? crikey I wish I had that time. Some are expected to be up within 3 mins of the action happening. I always get mine up within 15-20 mins of the end of the game. If it's a sunny day then some at half time and then the rest at the end. Shooting in Jpg helps a lot and there's some recovery you can do in photoshop. Shooting in RAW for sports tends to be a waste of time from what I can gather.

They post the photos when they post the box scores and post-match interviews. The latter probably slows them down some.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Kickflipkid687
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 09, 2014 12:58 |  #138

I don't feel like Kelby was lying about the Mark II in his "review" or anything. But I do feel like he avoided comparisons against other bodies, and instead kept saying how amazing it is.

I'm mainly interested in the Mark II for an overall faster body, with hopefully alot better AF than my 60D has. I know part of the AF equation is the lens itself. But I'm hopeful the Mark II will deliver a good boost in overall performance, and give me a much better chance of capturing BIF/Action shots.

Right now my BIF odds are very low. Very low..... Part of it is the lens AF Im sure, on the Tamron 150-600. Which I might have to sell for the Sigma 150-600 or buy a canon lens.

My buddy keeps trying to get me to switch to Nikon. But I'm not sure about that, lol. The D750 looks nice, but I'd mainly be switching for image quality, and potentially losing performance otherwise.

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2014 13:06 |  #139

Kickflipkid687 wrote in post #17203655 (external link)
I don't feel like Kelby was lying about the Mark II in his "review" or anything. But I do feel like he avoided comparisons against other bodies, and instead kept saying how amazing it is.

I'm mainly interested in the Mark II for an overall faster body, with hopefully alot better AF than my 60D has. I know part of the AF equation is the lens itself. But I'm hopeful the Mark II will deliver a good boost in overall performance, and give me a much better chance of capturing BIF/Action shots.

Right now my BIF odds are very low. Very low..... Part of it is the lens AF Im sure, on the Tamron 150-600. Which I might have to sell for the Sigma 150-600 or buy a canon lens.

My buddy keeps trying to get me to switch to Nikon. But I'm not sure about that, lol. The D750 looks nice, but I'd mainly be switching for image quality, and potentially losing performance otherwise.

A 65 pt AF system akin to the 1D layout will be much much better than the 60D AF. You will have many new modes and configurations of how the AI servo behaves. The lenses do indeed make a difference.

If you want a leg up on this, check out the 7D2 guidebook for AF from Canon.
http://usa.canon.com …2014.pdf?WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

ljp3
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 09, 2014 13:19 |  #140

McNeese72 wrote in post #17203242 (external link)
I've been mainly lurking on the 7D2 threads and I've noticed that a lot of people that aren't interested in getting a 7D2 like some of the people with 70D's, 5D3's, 1Dx's, Nikons, etc. seem to come to the threads to put the 7D2 down. It is like they think they have to defend their choice of cameras from some reason.

I have a 70D and am contemplating getting the 7D Mark II, can I stay? :p

If I am truthful with myself the 70D is more than enough camera and "If" my skill ever surpasses the cameras limits it will be in the distant future... but who wants to be truthful with themselves :D

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Olympus OM-D E-M5

Kickflipkid687
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 09, 2014 13:27 |  #141

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17203674 (external link)
A 65 pt AF system akin to the 1D layout will be much much better than the 60D AF. You will have many new modes and configurations of how the AI servo behaves. The lenses do indeed make a difference.

If you want a leg up on this, check out the 7D2 guidebook for AF from Canon.
http://usa.canon.com …2014.pdf?WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)

Thanks. yeah, I read through all that a week ago or so :). Looks very nice. Love all the customization. I've rented a 5D mark III before and used them in other cases. Similar setup.

Although I didn't like the black AF points/ and how larger they were. Also the full frame FOV is quite noticeably wider than a crop sensor. Made it hard to track/lock AF when being further back and having such large AF points. Also being black, I couldn't even tell where I was focusing half of the time. : \

I mainly shoot birds/wildlife, so I need all the reach I can get. Which is why I am not sure I'd want to use a full-frame body. Although, I'd make an exception for a 1DX or D4s.... :D

My Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/86957042@N07/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2014 15:16 |  #142

yeah the black af points still cause issues today all the way back from 2009. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2014 17:17 |  #143

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17203864 (external link)
yeah the black af points still cause issues today all the way back from 2009. :(

That has been fixed in the 7D II!:) You can set the active AF point or points to flash red or only flash red when the light gets low.

Markd102
649 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 09, 2014 17:40 as a reply to  @ butterfly2937's post |  #144

The most interesting comment from Kelby (for me) was that once he started shooting the game, he forgot that he WASN'T using the 1DX.
That has to be the best endorsement for the overall feel and functionality. (IQ aside).
And for me, that's the best reason to upgrade from the mark 1.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2014 17:44 |  #145

butterfly2937 wrote in post #17204048 (external link)
That has been fixed in the 7D II!:) You can set the active AF point or points to flash red or only flash red when the light gets low.

I don't think it is any different than the 7D or 5D3, or even the 1DX. There are still issues, people gripe about it all the time on the 5D3 and 1DX.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2014 17:50 |  #146

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17204085 (external link)
I don't think it is any different than the 7D or 5D3, or even the 1DX. There are still issues, people gripe about it all the time on the 5D3 and 1DX.

I just called tech support and asked. They said it will function as I stated and you can turn it on and off in the custom functions. They have a 7DII there and the guy tried it while I was on the phone.

patrol50
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 09, 2014 17:59 |  #147

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17203251 (external link)
A very fair and even-handed view of the situation. Sometimes utmost perfect IQ just isn't the core element that sells a product. Everyone complained about the AF on the 5D and 5D2, but both had great IQ? The 5D3 came out and fixed the issue. Now that we have a camera with great AF that is within spitting distance of the 5D2, some cry about the IQ. There is always something to complain about. :D

like your advice about the add to block list :D much quieter

now we are not complaining :rolleyes: as we will have to buy it anyway or sell all our c gear and wait for Nikon to bring out a competitive unit with greatly improved af and with there 24 mp sensor - or alternatively wait for the 7 d mk 3 and that may be a very long wait :lol:

some are however pointing out that canon may not have improved the 7 d mk 2 sensor that much over previous units when many wildlife shooting nuts were expecting and or just hoping they may do that - particularly with an increased senor capacity and with minimum noise and banding evident to suit the wildlife shooting groupies and possibly the birding mob

my take is that this new 7d mk 2 is looking like a very good mid $ range sports camera (that should still be reasonably good and ok for wildlife) but it appears to me now that canon may have targeted it at sports with a pretty amazing af set up and hence no surprise guys like TS are pretty taken with it and no they probably did not need a much improved sensor even though it would have been good to have one - but ok yes it should still work for wildlife and birding also but I don't think it was absolutely targeted there now because if it was then it would have made pretty good sense for canon to lift the sensor capacity to say 22 / 24 mp

that's just my take on this deal - I still have a 7d mk 2 on order I have paid my deposit and I am looking forward to getting it and trying it out and then being able to "complain" to TS and others of course from first hand experience :D-

cant afford Nikon anyway and certainly not there brilliant 200 - 400 lens :rolleyes:

cheer rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2014 18:01 |  #148

@butterfly, As you can on the others. The problem is that when you have a ton of AF points, there is only one red LED to light the entire LCD overlay. Also, in AI Servo, you get nothing, so at night, with AI Servo, you cannot tell where the active point is. I had 7Ds, and a 5D3, they cannot fix the issues that we are having in low light/darkness because there is only one red LED for the entire display. They issued a firmware update to just the 1DX to try to make the LED light brighter etc, and still it is problematic.

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2014 18:08 |  #149

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17204117 (external link)
@butterfly, As you can on the others. The problem is that when you have a ton of AF points, there is only one red LED to light the entire LCD overlay. Also, in AI Servo, you get nothing, so at night, with AI Servo, you cannot tell where the active point is. I had 7Ds, and a 5D3, they cannot fix the issues that we are having in low light/darkness because there is only one red LED for the entire display. They issued a firmware update to just the 1DX to try to make the LED light brighter etc, and still it is problematic.

The Canon tech said it will work as stated in AI servo. He said he was testing it as I spoke to him. I hope he is telling the truth. If the active point is able to flash red and/or turn on only in low light like he said that should work for me. He said the option is in the viewfinder custom functions.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,156 posts
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2014 18:17 |  #150

butterfly2937 wrote in post #17204128 (external link)
The Canon tech said it will work as stated in AI servo. He said he was testing it as I spoke to him. I hope he is telling the truth. If the active point is able to flash red and/or turn on only in low light like he said that should work for me. He said the option is in the viewfinder custom functions.

That is like the 1DX, but it still doesn't work well. I will let you dig through this active post going on right now over on FM.

http://www.fredmiranda​.com …/topic/1321563/​0#12609334 (external link)

Just look for what people have to say regarding the 1DX functionality, it sounds like the 7D2 will mirror that.

sponsored links

64,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scott Kelby's take on 7D mark II after real world use
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.