Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 14:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Blue - Observation & Hue Adjustment

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 14:35 |  #1

Has anybody noticed how LR processes blues differently than Canon's algorithms? I like everything about LR, but always liked how Canon processes blues in-camera; sky's specifically.

So, my quick & easy fix that makes them nearly identical (to my untrained eyes) was to make a user preset that takes the blue Hue in the HSL window and moves it to +11. Works like a charm, producing a lovely "Canon blue".

This shot is an example of the sky I get with that minor change.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15292238517_223c1cb5de_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pijH​JM  (external link) City of Raleigh Museum (external link) by hokiealumnus (external link), on Flickr

Prior to making the change, the blue color seemed less...well, less. I lack the words to properly describe it. Maybe it had less 'pop'? Was more dull?

In any case, this is obviously very subjective and a personal preference. Heck, 99% of the people that post in this forum probably already know this and either do it or don't like it. However, as someone relatively new to the whole post-processing thing (just over eight months or so), this made me happy enough to want to post it here. :)

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,448 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 15, 2014 14:45 |  #2

What camera profile do you use? That's the foundation upon which any other color rendering is built, so any discussion of color renditions should start there, or at least mention it.

Elie / אלי

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 14:59 |  #3

Err...sorry. This is with a Canon 70D. Apologies.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,448 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 15, 2014 15:15 |  #4

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17214637 (external link)
Err...sorry. This is with a Canon 70D. Apologies.

My fault, sorry for being unclear, but I was asking what camera profile you set in LR's Develop/Calibration panel.

Elie / אלי

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 15:24 |  #5

I didn't set a camera profile. I upload photos using LR import, then click on the one to edit and click "Develop" and make proper adjustments. To my recollection at least I never set a camera profile, assuming it determined that based on the RAW file information.

Heh, I guess I need to go set a camera profile?

....facepalm?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,448 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 15, 2014 15:44 |  #6

OK, your first stop in the Develop workflow should be at the very bottom of the right side panel, where it says Calibration. You have a selection of profiles there. The default is the Adobe Standard profile - Adobe's version of how they think colors from your camera model should be rendered; but there are also five profiles - Standard, Faithful, Neutral, Landscape and Portrait - which try to simulate the color renderings used in the camera for the Photo Styles applied to jpgs. Try them, they may come closer to the Canon blues you like.

Elie / אלי

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 16:10 |  #7

Splendid...will do! If time allows within the next week or so I'll edit showing those differences as well.

Sorry for my ignorance. Thank you for the detailed guidance.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2014 17:22 |  #8

By the way, your approach to using the HSL panel is right-on, and in fact is what I tend to do, but the Camera Profile approach can be a good "starting point"!

Just so ya know, yeah, Canon has developed "internal" (in-camera) developments that they have developed to "suit" how they process the output from their sensors, and "globally" those processes can work fine with creating jpegs or processing in their Raw software DPP.

Adobe has to follow a different approach, sort of "reverse-engineering" the Canon sensor output, not just the Raw but also the in-camera processing in order to produce the "camera profiles". The Adobe software does quite good but as you have seen, some "tweaking" comes in handy!!:)!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 19:38 |  #9

The profiles are certainly an interesting development! They do indeed make Canon blue blue again, though some are a little weak, some a little strong. They did ultimately lead to what I feel is a more poppy edit of the image in the OP too. So, here are examples. First, to show what camera RAW pulls going into LR, this is the zero'ed out photo:

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/01-zeroed-jv.jpg

Then I went back to my edited photo, without the hue. This is them side-by-side, so you can see precisely what the small hue adjustment does. The first one below is without the hue adjustment and the second is with it.

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/02-edited-nohue-adobestandard-jv.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/03-edited-nohue-camerafaithful-jv.jpg

The other stuff will follow in the next post...

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 19:44 |  #10

For all of the others, I went back to the no-hue-adjustment above, which used the Adobe Standard camera profile, then I changed the camera profile one by one. Some of them (especially Landscape) turned out a bit over-saturated due to previous edits, but it's sufficient to show the differences for the purpose of this exercise. I'll just label them and show the result.

Camera Faithful

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/03-edited-nohue-camerafaithful-jv.jpg

Camera Landscape
IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/04-edited-nohue-cameralandscape-jv.jpg

Camera neutral
IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/05-edited-nohue-cameraneutral-jv.jpg

Camera Portrait
IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/06-edited-nohue-cameraportrait-jv.jpg

Camera Standard
IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/07-edited-nohue-camerastandard-jv.jpg

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Oct 15, 2014 19:47 |  #11

This ultimately led me to going back to zero'ed and re-editing, beginning with the Camera Landscape option.

Here's my original edit again, with hue.

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/08-edited-adobestandard-withhue-jv.jpg

Here's the re-edit, no hue adjustment and starting from Camera Landscape.

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/09-edited-using-landscape-nohue.-jv.jpg

Thanks to tzalman again for pointing out this feature, which I had never scrolled down far enough to use before! Honestly, I thought it stopped at lens adjustments. (Again, facepalm!) This should help in the future, as tonylong mentioned, giving me different starting points.

Hopefully this will help others too.

To any mod, if this exceeds what is a reasonable image allotment, there really isn't a way to show all of the differences with fewer images. However, if you absolutely must remove something, please let me know and I'll just make a post on my web site to link to.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2014 20:05 |  #12

Good stuff!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,679 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 15, 2014 20:17 |  #13

Also, consider making your adjustment to blue in the camera calibration tab with the blue slider instead of a hue/sat adjustment.

kirk

Kirk
---

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,924 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2014 06:05 |  #14

Yes the calibration sliders can be very useful too. I like the results form using Camera Landscape in my aviation images. Especially aircraft in flight. But it can oftentimes cause way oversaturation in the reds, which spills over into oranges and yellows. Currently the large wing walking display team in the UK are sponsored by Breitling, and use a bright orange and white colour scheme. This usually ends up becoming far to red in colour when I finish processing. If I add +30 to the red hue and -45 to the red saturation in the calibration tab, it corrects it perfectly. I find dropping the saturation ot about -20 seems to fix most of my other problems with reds/yellows going out of gamut when printing or converting to sRGB.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

davidmtml
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 22, 2014 10:42 |  #15

kirkt wrote in post #17215218 (external link)
Also, consider making your adjustment to blue in the camera calibration tab with the blue slider instead of a hue/sat adjustment.

kirk

This. My default LR5 settings apply a +50 blue in the calibration settings to all imported photos.

sponsored links

2,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Blue - Observation & Hue Adjustment
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.