Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 24 Oct 2014 (Friday) 18:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Solo backpacking trip to New-Zealand - Photography gear help.

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 24, 2014 18:23 |  #1

Hi everyone. I'm leaving for three months to New-Zealand, backpacking all-around the country. I estimate 50% will be wilderness camping and 50% in hostels. I will be hiking and trecking a lot. I have to keep my gear as lightweight as possible. I'm leaving with an Osprey Aether 70L bag. My camping gear is ready, clothes are too, now I'm at choosing my photography gear, which is the hardest part.

What I need:

-LIGHTWEIGHT. Can't bring my 5DmkIII and all my lenses.
-Wide. A 24-70 equivalent on FF is fine with me.
-Tripod. 100% required. I will shoot star trails, waterfalls, can't do without one.

As of now, I was set on bringing my 6D + 24-70mkII, my Manfrotto CXPRO3 and a 11'' Macbook air. Those four item together weight 12Lb. It's heavy and probably not the best option.

What do you guys suggest? I don't mind buying new gear. I was on the fence of buying a Sony A7s.

Thanks for your help, I'm leaving in two weeks.

David.

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
easypz
520 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2014 11:34 |  #2

I think you'd be pleased with the results you could get with a Fuji X-T1. It's a very versatile piece of kit and remarkably smaller than your 5DIII. The 18-55 is a must have also since it's so small and images made with it are very good. One more lens would be all you would want. Depending on what you like to shoot. The Fuji 14mm, 23mm, or 35mm are excellent. I packed this kit along with a Fuji EFX20 flash and a little Cullmann Magnesit Copter Mini Tripod on a 3 week trip up the California coast. It worked out great. I left the laptop at home and used an iPad Air 2 64GB with 4G for reviewing and communication. I didn't even buy a data plan for it. Just pulled my Verizon SiM card out of the phone and put it in the iPad (and it was an AT&T SIM in it originally) worked great. The Fuji will talk to the iPad wirelessly too.

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 27, 2014 11:54 |  #3

I never understood the whole "can't bring my ff and lenses" argument. I can fit my 6D w/ 24-105 and 50 in a small lowepro backpack. The pack is almost too small to the point that it feels weird and out of place on my back. So why would you spend more money for a mirrorless when youre really not saving that much space and would likely use the same size pack anyway. Maybe there is something that I am missing and in that case you could explain :)

And please don't say it weights too much. If the difference of 1 lb (A7s) to 2 lb (5d3) is too much then I think you need to hit the gym ;)

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 27, 2014 12:12 |  #4

Are really going to notice the difference between a 22kg and a 22.5kg pack? Cutting weight on multiple items(like a full system with UWA-tele) makes sense as it adds up but a small amount for one or 2 items won't make a difference. I know there's some people that think a any DSLR is to heavy to carry around for a day but you're obviously not on of those or you wouldn't be planning on pack backing with a 70L pack.

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 28, 2014 00:01 |  #5

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #17235733 (external link)
Are really going to notice the difference between a 22kg and a 22.5kg pack? Cutting weight on multiple items(like a full system with UWA-tele) makes sense as it adds up but a small amount for one or 2 items won't make a difference. I know there's some people that think a any DSLR is to heavy to carry around for a day but you're obviously not on of those or you wouldn't be planning on pack backing with a 70L pack.

This! Why is there a concern for pack weight when you are planning on taking the 70L in the first place?

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 28, 2014 01:19 |  #6

easypz wrote in post #17235645 (external link)
I think you'd be pleased with the results you could get with a Fuji X-T1. It's a very versatile piece of kit and remarkably smaller than your 5DIII. The 18-55 is a must have also since it's so small and images made with it are very good. One more lens would be all you would want. Depending on what you like to shoot. The Fuji 14mm, 23mm, or 35mm are excellent. I packed this kit along with a Fuji EFX20 flash and a little Cullmann Magnesit Copter Mini Tripod on a 3 week trip up the California coast. It worked out great.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. I am aiming for the Rokinon F2, would be awesome for astophotography.

JM Photos wrote in post #17235690 (external link)
And please don't say it weights too much. If the difference of 1 lb (A7s) to 2 lb (5d3) is too much then I think you need to hit the gym ;)

JM Photos wrote in post #17236930 (external link)
This! Why is there a concern for pack weight when you are planning on taking the 70L in the first place?

I think you are missing the point of backpacking here. There is a concern on weight as I will be traveling as light as possible. Every gram is counted. I've switched my 13'' Retina macbook pro for an 11'' air. An XT-1 setup is half the weight of my 6D + 24-70 setup. It's half smaller too. Those things do count, even if I use a 70L backpack. Same goes for clothes, camping gear, even the emergency kit is counted. 0,5lb here, another 1lb there, in the end that is making a difference.

Hi, I'm David.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,084 posts
Gallery: 1815 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 28, 2014 02:23 |  #7

I've backpacked/hiked well over 4000 miles in the last 30 years so I understand milligrams.....and I've spent a month on the south island of NZ.
That Osprey Aether is 4lbs 15 oz in size L, compare to any of the z-packs:
http://www.zpacks.com/​backpacks.shtml (external link)
That can be 3.5 pounds off you back instantly, and don't worry about the strength of the z-pack packs, they've done countless thru-hikes of the AT and PCT and the owner did the huge long distance hike across both NZ islands. My z-pack has almost 400 miles on it.
Next look at your tent (I'm a hammocker), I think you could save several more pounds over what you've chosen (but don't know what you have), as an example the Light Heart Duo 2 pounds (duo so plenty of room for your gear):
http://lightheartgear.​com …uo-tents/product/view/6/5 (external link)
TarpTents has even more lightweight choices that are great.
Tramping in NZ is ever so sweet. In the hut on the Rakiura Tract gas for your stove was already there, speaking of meth/spirits/HEET is everywhere, an alcohol stove can weigh 1 oz...go classy with a Brasslite:
http://brasslite.com/ (external link)

I could go on and on. Nowadays for a 3 day trip in the Smokies with temps to the low 20's, 3 days food and a quart of water I'm carry 17pounds(7.7kg) and that is sleeping in heaven (a hammock)......

Camera gear. I have Canon bodies for things that move fast, for macro/astro. I don't think you'll be doing true astro but you want the Milky Way that only NZ (and Chile) can provide. Yep for me I'd leave the Canon bodies at home. NZ just isn't know for large animals and you probably aren't going for macro, but the landscapes scream full frame wide angle. With the weight saved alone on the backpack choice the 6D is a perfect choice for landscape and Milky Way, I'd just take the A7r and have an even lighter pack BUT after playing with the 6D and the A7s I'd (for me) still leave the 6D at home and take the A7s.....so that'd be two bodies tucked away in the backpack for the landscapes and the Milky Way set ups.
Still wanting to save as much weight as possible I'd have a third camera around my neck...either the Canon G7X (if you can live without an EVF) or the RX100iii if you like an EVF (and say want to do a timelapse, the PlayMemories App for TL has greatly improved over first gen)....
p.s. the sonys charge via usb so a Patriot Fuel + can come in real handy, we used one in africa and loved it...the RX100iii
can even run from one for hours if doing a timelapse.
Well don't want to bore or write a tome :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

shikhan
57 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2014 13:52 |  #8

I'm doing something similar - backpacking through NZ for about 2 months. Weight and space was a huge factor for me - I've been taking my 6d+24-105 (and occasionally other lenses) on previous backpack trips and while I really like the gear, I've come to realize that for backpacking, it's heavy and takes up an insane amount of space. Considering I'm buying all new backpacking gear (sleeping bag, tent, clothes) to save on weight and space, it was obvious that my camera had to change.

I've just bought an A7r and a couple of amazingly small & light Canon nFD lenses. The weight of the A7r + 3 lenses (24,35,50) is about the same as just the 6d. I've lost some reach, but my lenses are much faster. The weight and space savings has allowed me to get a Sirui T-025x tripod. I haven't taken the gear out on a backpacking trip yet, but I've had a chance to shoot with it and I'm extremely happy.

It's not cheap, but since I'm going to be doing a lot of multi-day hikes, every pound I get off my back will be well worth it.

JonQCanon
76 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2014 10:25 |  #9

Honestly, I'm with the others and would suggest counting grams with your camping gear and still take your 5D3 and the lenses you think you'll need. I would not want to acquire and then learn a new camera system. Best of luck!

www.grinandbarrettphot​ography.comexternal link

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,409 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 02, 2014 21:04 |  #10

Have you considered the Manfrotto Magic Arm kit? You can leave the clamp at home and just take the tripod legs. The whole kit is about 3lbs. It would save you at least a pound from the carbon tripod. It is a little less stable than a full tripod, but it is more compact and adjustable.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …43_143_Magic_Ar​m_Kit.html (external link)

I'd also ditch the 24-70L f/2.8 and go for something lighter, like the 24-70mm f/4L IS, the 24-105L or an ultra wide like the 16-35L IS or 17-40L. Depending on what range you really want.

5D4 or 6D2..... Waiting to find out which I buy | 8-15L |24-70mm f/4L IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

tristanic
32 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 18, 2014 00:31 |  #11

How does the G7X compare to the RX100, I can't decide between the two!

Learning is a Gradual Process..... It takes Time.

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 18, 2014 00:32 |  #12

how are you backpacking across the water?

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 28, 2014 14:09 as a reply to  @ bk2life's post |  #13

By trying to be really careful not to fall over. Also my electronic is in a loksac waterproof bag, just in case.

By the way, I decided on a Fuji X-T1. Best decision I ever made.

Hi, I'm David.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 29, 2014 16:37 |  #14

I have 0 to add about NZ and camping but here are a few random suggestions:

1) If you get a Thinktank belt & a few pouches you can carry a few lenses in front of you and free up space in your backpack. A few pounds can move from back to front.

2) With something like Peak Design Capture Camera Clip you can clip your camera to front strap of your backpack or belt. Not only are you also shifting weight from back to the front but you are also allowing very easy access to your camera.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2015 04:27 |  #15

Rivest wrote in post #17231616 (external link)
Hi everyone. I'm leaving for three months to New-Zealand, backpacking all-around the country. I estimate 50% will be wilderness camping and 50% in hostels. I will be hiking and trecking a lot. I have to keep my gear as lightweight as possible. I'm leaving with an Osprey Aether 70L bag. My camping gear is ready, clothes are too, now I'm at choosing my photography gear, which is the hardest part.

What I need:

-LIGHTWEIGHT. Can't bring my 5DmkIII and all my lenses.
-Wide. A 24-70 equivalent on FF is fine with me.
-Tripod. 100% required. I will shoot star trails, waterfalls, can't do without one.

As of now, I was set on bringing my 6D + 24-70mkII, my Manfrotto CXPRO3 and a 11'' Macbook air. Those four item together weight 12Lb. It's heavy and probably not the best option.

What do you guys suggest? I don't mind buying new gear. I was on the fence of buying a Sony A7s.

Thanks for your help, I'm leaving in two weeks.

David.

bring your 5d3. it weighs same as a 6d or thereabouts!

dont bring your macbook air. no need for it. just enjoy and take pics.

5d + 24-70. Job done

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,973 views & 0 likes for this thread
Solo backpacking trip to New-Zealand - Photography gear help.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.