Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2014 (Tuesday) 18:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone out there using Sams Club online printing?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,999 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2014 06:25 |  #16

I think your problem is your output settings. Given that a quality print is going to need 240 to 300 pixels per inch of paper, a 500 pixel long image is going to look good at only 2 inches long. A six inch long print really needs 1800 pixels.

What I would do in your case when exporting from LR is this. Create a VC and crop the image to match the ratio of your paper. You may have to select a custom ratio if your paper size is not in the existing list. On export set your colour space to sRGB. Tick the resize box and select the setting that allows you to specify both dimensions. In the measurement box set it ti Inches not pixels, and set the paper size in the two dimension boxes. Set the resolution to 300 PPI. This will ensure that LR exports the image at the optimum resolution for your print. I would also turn on output sharpening, select the paper type that matches your paper. I would use gloss for glossy and pearl/metallic papers and matt for everything else. I usually set it to high, but that is really something you need to test for yourself.

When you print turn off auto correction. I recommend doing your own cropping and resizing as on some machines if you have it do the cropping/resizing you then cannot turn off auto colour correction.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 30, 2014 20:03 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #17

Ok, I'm getting ready to export a bunch of pics from Lr5 to Sams Club ( online-deliver to home) here are my settings from Lr5 now tell me if this is correct. Printing all 5"x7"'s.

File settings
Image Format-JPEG. QUALITY -100%
Color space-sRGB
Image Sizing
Resize to fit not checked, Resolution 300 pixels per inch

Thanks for everyone's input, this has been very tricky.

Canon 50D and a bag full of stuff!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,999 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2014 22:14 |  #18

Twhit. wrote in post #17242723 (external link)
Ok, I'm getting ready to export a bunch of pics from Lr5 to Sams Club ( online-deliver to home) here are my settings from Lr5 now tell me if this is correct. Printing all 5"x7"'s.

File settings
Image Format-JPEG. QUALITY -100% You really only need to use 80% you will not be able to see the difference, in fact you can barely measure the difference, but the file will be about 40% smaller. 100% JPEG files are about the same file size as an 8 bit single layer TIFF file, so effectively uncompressed and you can still measure an almost identical amount of difference from the actual TIFF as for the 80% level.
Color space-sRGB OK
Image Sizing
Resize to fit not checked, Resolution 300 pixels per inch As in my post above I would have LR resize the image to match the requirements of the print. Crop the image to the correct ratio for the print size, and have LR produce a file that will actually give you 300PPI, by setting the image size in inches, then using resolution 300PPI. If you don't resize the image, then it doesn't matter what value you put in the resolution box, it could be 1 or 1000 or 72 or 300*.

Thanks for everyone's input, this has been very tricky.

*The value in the resolution box, which is also inserted in the DPI/PPI tag of the EXIF data is irrelevant when actually printing the file, or even displaying it online. It may be of relevance if the file is to be used to print in a magazine or other publication.

When used in the LR export though, while defining the output size in In/cm it is used to calculate the number of pixels necessary to get the correct sizing when printed at that resolution. The Resolution value is also used by LR when calculating the exact amount of sharpening to apply to an image on export, if you use the output sharpening option. Because of this I recommend that the value is actually set to the appropriate value for the intended use of the image file.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 05, 2014 17:26 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #19

Just got back the pictures I sent out. I'm pleasantly surprised they look good. Hopefully from now on all turn out with consistency. Thanks for everyone's input on my post!

Thanks!!👍

Twhit.
THREAD ­ STARTER
695 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 06, 2014 19:10 as a reply to  @ Twhit.'s post |  #20

Online delivery by Sams club are developed by Shutterfly SC. It was on the shipping address when I got my prints back. Don't know if that's good or bad, but I hope they stay consistent.

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 06, 2014 21:28 |  #21

Each Sam's has their own printers and the quality depends on when the printer was last cleaned and calibrated. I use it for all my family 4x6's and some 8x10. Anything else goes to Meridian Lab for printing.

I would suggest changing your image sizes before printing also.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,634 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone out there using Sams Club online printing?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.