Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ten of the Most Expensive Photographs Ever Sold.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,545 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 06:44 |  #166

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17248899 (external link)
I really have some things I'd like to say about this topic, but at this point, I think that everything I said would be quoted and picked apart. And that counter-points would be made to every one of my points. I really don't feel like having my words picked apart, and having my statements challenged . . . so I'm going to pass. Sometimes I'm up to those debates, but there's already been far too much of that in this particular thread. Enough is enough! It's a shame that this thread is being ruined because someone just can't help but to pick apart and scrutinize everything that people have to say. If this person would tell us that he's finished posting to this thread, then maybe I would feel up to contributing again. I think we'd all breathe a sigh of relief!

Tom I doubt he is done and it's sad because I always enjoy reading your thoughtful and insightful posts. As well as sjones, OhLook and many others. Sad that one can effect so many others. But everyone has an opinion but then again some opinions should hold much more value than others.

I know apples and oranges kinda but kinda not when it comes to credibility . A grade school drop out that never mastered the basics of math might have an opinion about physics but in my mind Einstein's opinions about physics should hold a lot more weight. But thats me. :lol:

Szarkowski or some guy on a photo forum.... AHHHH I donno. Hard to choose :lol::lol:

sponsored links
Dragoro
268 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 03, 2014 08:39 |  #167

Fun Fact: The photo of Billy the kid is actually inveresed. The gun is actually being held in his left hand. It appears in his right because of the type of camera and processing used back then.

Nikon D810:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S ED LENS
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD
Benjamin Timmins Photography (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,545 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 12:21 |  #168

Dragoro wrote in post #17249363 (external link)
Fun Fact: The photo of Billy the kid is actually inveresed. The gun is actually being held in his left hand. It appears in his right because of the type of camera and processing used back then.

IIRC it is a tintype...

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,315 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2014 12:46 |  #169

whoever this "Andreas Gursky" is, he/she has quite the reputation among rich folk. It's obvious that his/her signature alone is worth the premium.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

airfrogusmc
36,545 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 13:00 |  #170

He wasn't always famous and it's like that with all art. A Tiffany stained glass window or lamp shade will sell for a whole lot more than another stained glass piece from most other makers. Who creates something does matter. So how does one get to the point where their work is worth something? Certainly not by creating things that are like everyone else's creations.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,721 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 03, 2014 13:16 |  #171

Charlie wrote in post #17249734 (external link)
whoever this "Andreas Gursky" is, he/she has quite the reputation among rich folk. It's obvious that his/her signature alone is worth the premium.

Of all the photo-artists, he has the smoothest line of BS and he prints huge, hence, lots of $$$. Here (external link)is a nice example of his promotion. Sort of makes you want to open the wallet and remove a few hundred thousand bills, doesn't it. ;):)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Charlie
16,315 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2014 13:38 |  #172

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17249784 (external link)
He wasn't always famous and it's like that with all art. A Tiffany stained glass window or lamp shade will sell for a whole lot more than another stained glass piece from most other makers. Who creates something does matter. So how does one get to the point where their work is worth something? Certainly not by creating things that are like everyone else's creations.

an original concept of thought is one thing, getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for sub par photography is just good business more than anything. I would say he's a master at marketing and business, and his product is photography. The guy could probably take my worst photos, make up some cool story about how he felt and created the image, and sell it for a pretty penny.

The way I see it, gursky makes the best photos to those who have vast amounts of money. He caters to their wants, however, I simply dont understand his art (probably because his form of art requires a nice story to sell it).

gjl711 wrote in post #17249814 (external link)
Of all the photo-artists, he has the smoothest line of BS and he prints huge, hence, lots of $$$. Here (external link)is a nice example of his promotion. Sort of makes you want to open the wallet and remove a few hundred thousand bills, doesn't it. ;):)

shutupandtakemymoney.j​pg :D

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,721 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 03, 2014 13:41 |  #173

Charlie wrote in post #17249864 (external link)
.... The guy could probably take my worst photos, make up some cool story about how he felt and created the image, and sell it for a pretty penny....

Can you say Peter Lik? I knew you could. ;)

Gotta print big though, that's important. If you ever have seen one of his prints, the size is impressive.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

airfrogusmc
36,545 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 13:46 |  #174

Charlie wrote in post #17249864 (external link)
an original concept of thought is one thing, getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for sub par photography is just good business more than anything. I would say he's a master at marketing and business, and his product is photography. The guy could probably take my worst photos, make up some cool story about how he felt and created the image, and sell it for a pretty penny.

The way I see it, gursky makes the best photos to those who have vast amounts of money. He caters to their wants, however, I simply dont understand his art (probably because his form of art requires a nice story to sell it).

shutupandtakemymoney.j​pg :D

Subpar to whom? I suggest you read back it was the collector that made the real money. He bough when the work sold for maybe 100K and got 3 million. I would say a pretty smart investment and these many of these people have studied and and photography their entire lives so I would say they were educated to.

Maybe it's time for you to do some reevaluating. Yeah the real worlds all wrong and a few folks that hate at and know very little about it have it all figured out :lol::lol:

Charlie
16,315 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 03, 2014 14:03 |  #175

gjl711 wrote in post #17249880 (external link)
Can you say Peter Lik? I knew you could. ;)

Gotta print big though, that's important. If you ever have seen one of his prints, the size is impressive.

I've done 4' prints on metal, and I say the size alone is pretty impressive, I think some of Lik's stuff is even bigger. The guy definitely has nice photos and a big mouth too.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17249890 (external link)
Subpar to whom? I suggest you read back it was the collector that made the real money. He bough when the work sold for maybe 100K and got 3 million. I would say a pretty smart investment and these many of these people have studied and and photography their entire lives so I would say they were educated to.

Maybe it's time for you to do some reevaluating. Yeah the real worlds all wrong and a few folks that hate at and know very little about it have it all figured out :lol::lol:

I would say the investor made a good investment, but all that means is that someone rich is willing to pay for it. How many stocks have crashed and burned throughout the years? Doesnt really mean the company was so great to have high stock prices, then completely fizzle out.

So at this point, are gursky's photos are more speculative investments rather than art?

airfrogusmc
36,545 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 14:05 |  #176

Peter Lik LoL....

Figures...

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 03, 2014 14:39 |  #177

gjl711 wrote in post #17249814 (external link)

I definitely prefer the Weston to the Gursky; I can't defend that within the criteria of aesthetics being batted back and forth throughout this thread, however*. :cool:

*Although, to pick up on airfrogusmc's points, I am a little familiar with Weston's body of work, whereas about all I know about Gursky comes essentially from news reports about how much money his photos are selling for. Having said that, I also prefer Weston to Sherman, but wouldn't deny that Sherman has created what is probably an important body of work.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

airfrogusmc
36,545 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 14:48 |  #178

I also prefer Weston. Actually I prefer Weston to most...

Maybe one of the 5 most important American photographers period.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 03, 2014 14:52 |  #179

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17250007 (external link)
I also prefer Weston. Actually I prefer Weston to most...

Maybe one of the 5 most important American photographers period.

Going back to yogestee's original post and question that started the thread, I'd be happy to hang the Weston and Steichen on my wall; most of the rest, not so much. :)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

airfrogusmc
36,545 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2014 14:59 |  #180

If you have experienced Gursky's HUGE unbelievably detailed prints first hand you need to. And I saw an exhibit of Sherman's at the Museum of Contemporary Art here in Chicago a couple of years back and her work is very interesting. My personal tastes tend to run more along the lines of Bresson, Winogrand, Robert Frank, Ralph Gibson, Harry Callahan, Joel Meyerowitz....

sponsored links

21,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ten of the Most Expensive Photographs Ever Sold.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.