Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 29 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 15:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto help

stagetaken
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 29, 2014 15:39 |  #1

Hi there, I'm looking at getting the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 tripod and the 055 ball head but I don't know which one, I also want to get a Wimberley lens plate for my 70-200 and a body plate for my 1000D, is there a version of the ball head that allows the body plate to clip in? Or is there another version of the Winberley system that will work with my manfrotto stuff?

Cheers

5D III | 16-35L | 24-105L
Website (external link) Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,887 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 29, 2014 16:34 |  #2

I'd suggest against the Manfrotto ball head. Go with a RRS or Kirk with the ArcaSwiss system. You won't regret it.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2014 21:18 |  #3

What windpig said! If you can't swing the price for the Top o Line ballheads, I use Benro Ballheads off eBay for the last 4 years and have been very pleased.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 29, 2014 22:59 |  #4

jakesaunders27 wrote in post #17240238 (external link)
Hi there, I'm looking at getting the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 tripod and the 055 ball head but I don't know which one, I also want to get a Wimberley lens plate for my 70-200 and a body plate for my 1000D, is there a version of the ball head that allows the body plate to clip in? Or is there another version of the Winberley system that will work with my manfrotto stuff?

Cheers

Of all the gear I own the 055 ball head with the rc2 quick mounting plate sucks.
Mine is extremely sloppy.
farmer

photographer ­ unknown
308 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 30, 2014 01:12 |  #5

Skip the Manfrotto and get an ArcaSwiss system. You'll never regret it.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 02:14 |  #6

I agree with wind pig. Don't get the ball head.

If you MUST get the ball head, then get the RC4 version. But don't do that. Just avoid the ball head.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2014 03:58 |  #7

windpig wrote in post #17240348 (external link)
I'd suggest against the Manfrotto ball head. Go with a RRS or Kirk with the ArcaSwiss system. You won't regret it.

Totally second that!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 30, 2014 05:14 |  #8

If you really want manfrotto rc2 I've got one I could sell you in great shape...a 496rc2...would give me some funds to buy an arca Swiss compatible system like sirui k-30x that's not any more expensive...just a lot better. Drat did I say too much? Oh well, wish I hadn't listened to the punks at the camera store...bet they got manfrotto kick backs.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 30, 2014 08:53 |  #9

Haha this is the funniest reply I've read in a long time.

Luxx wrote in post #17241250 (external link)
If you really want manfrotto rc2 I've got one I could sell you in great shape...a 496rc2...would give me some funds to buy an arca Swiss compatible system like sirui k-30x that's not any more expensive...just a lot better. Drat did I say too much? Oh well, wish I hadn't listened to the punks at the camera store...bet they got manfrotto kick backs.

richfell
248 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 30, 2014 10:03 |  #10

CRCchemist wrote in post #17241525 (external link)
Haha this is the funniest reply I've read in a long time.

That was a funny one. Also, as an ex 488RC2 and now Sirui owner, I can say that response is full of truth ;)

Rich

Saikou
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 30, 2014 10:31 |  #11

See this adapter...

http://www.scvphotoide​as.com …er-for-manfrotto-490.html (external link)

http://emedia.leeward.​hawaii.edu …o496rc2_hejnar_​review.htm (external link)

http://www.amazon.com …?ie=UTF8&m=A1LV​VI8BYKDX1R (external link)

daleg
687 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 30, 2014 21:17 |  #12

Exactly. I converted two Manfrotto heads earlier this year using this Desmond adapter. Best $8 (times 2) I ever spent. GREAT PRODUCT (imho). I also spent countless hours of research discarding overly complex, over-priced alternative solutions.

The Desmond "double boss" adapter works flawlessly. Someday I'll replace/upgrade these heads, which are now using Arca-Swiss 2 way clamps: a 498 & a 494 (both ex-RC2). FWIW, I also use / have a Kirk branded and converted Manfrotto head on my Manfrotto 680 monopod. this great little head has an RSS-like single dimension swivel and arca-swiss clamp - that together provide great monopod control with long glass (much better than a smallish ball head). Also, just today, I added an old model Wimberley gimbal (WH-101) - funded in no small part by the savings from converting the Manfrotto BH's instead of buying top-shelf replacements.

Next, I need sturdier sticks than my Manfrotto 190XPROBs.

daleg
687 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 30, 2014 21:31 |  #13

photographer unknown wrote in post #17241129 (external link)
Skip the Manfrotto and get an ArcaSwiss system. You'll never regret it.

with the now available Desmond adapter ($8 at amazon), one could buy the top-end manfrotto 498, convert it to arca-swiss, add the clamp of your choice -- all for a lot less than the cost of a comparable capacity "big-name" ball-head.

nothing wrong with the big names and top notch gear. when funds permit, I'll replace my manfrotto ball heads. meanwhile, these conversions allowed me to upgrade to a Kirk/Manfrotto arca-swiss head on my monopod, and acquire a Wimberley gimbal for the longer glass (both heads used - max value/min cost?).

works for me. but ymmv.

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 02, 2014 10:43 |  #14

Luxx wrote in post #17241250 (external link)

Funny, but probably true.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 02, 2014 11:24 as a reply to  @ NASS Photo's post |  #15

daleg wrote in post #17242881 (external link)
with the now available Desmond adapter ($8 at amazon), one could buy the top-end manfrotto 498, convert it to arca-swiss, add the clamp of your choice -- all for a lot less than the cost of a comparable capacity "big-name" ball-head.

The (biggest) problem with the Manfrotto balls is not the mount (although, I'm not a fan of the RC2 mount), but is the inability to properly set tension and the shifting caused by attempting to tighten the ball down. The better AS-compatible ball heads from the more well-known manufacturers don't have those issues and

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

4,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.