Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can strobes and speedlites work together

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 04:23 |  #1

I have 2 canon speedlites and planning to move into more studio portrait work. I would like to own some strobes (Elinchrom?) and it would appear from some threads that I have read that they can be synced together. Is that right and can anyone either tell me what is required/ how its done or provide me with a link. I have tried searching the site but so far without success

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2014 04:54 |  #2

If you put your speed lites to manual then you can optical trigger the strobes.

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 05:13 |  #3

mmmfotografie wrote in post #17245117 (external link)
If you put your speed lites to manual then you can optical trigger the strobes.

So, if I use Phottix triggers for my speedlites, in manual setting, when the speedlites fire they will also trigger the strobes?

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,643 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 01, 2014 05:31 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #4

There are many different ways to do what you want. But yes if the speedlight fires either on camera or with remote triggers or even a cable, they will trigger a regular strobe, or any other optically triggered light. The optically triggered light must be able to "see" the flash fire and of course have that capability.

Without the specific knowledge of what features elinchrom has built in, they should also be able to be fired with the use of a remote trigger via pc sync cord or similar connection.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 05:40 |  #5

hes gone wrote in post #17245143 (external link)
=he's gone;17245143]There are many different ways to do what you want. But yes if the speedlight fires either on camera or with remote triggers or even a cable, they will trigger a regular strobe, or any other optically triggered light. The optically triggered light must be able to "see" the flash fire and of course have that capability.

Without the specific knowledge of what features elinchrom has built in, they should also be able to be fired with the use of a remote trigger via pc sync cord or similar connection.

OK. You have given me 2 options. Frstly to fire the speedlites using Phottix on the hotshoe and the speedlites will then trigger the Elinchrom provided there is line of sight . Alternatively you are saying that I can use the Phottix to trigger the speedlites via the hotshoe and at the same time use a pc cable from camera into the strobes and everything will fire in sync. I sounds straight forward.
Anyone else with views/experience?

flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,643 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 01, 2014 05:49 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #6

That should work fine. I was suggesting using a short cord from a radio trigger to the strobe. As someone who has worked with strobe and sync cord strewn all over the place (when they were really the only option) I dislike any cord going from one place to another.

Most triggers have this capability without having to get an adapter out of the trigger's hotshoe to an adapter with a cord.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 05:55 |  #7

hes gone wrote in post #17245154 (external link)
=he's gone;17245154]That should work fine. I was suggesting using a short cord from a radio trigger to the strobe. As someone who has worked with strobe and sync cord strewn all over the place (when they were really the only option) I dislike any cord going from one place to another.

Most triggers have this capability without having to get an adapter out of the trigger's hotshoe to an adapter with a cord.

I am sorry to be a bit of a pain but flash is quite new to me.
The Photttix Stratos that I have, ses a radio transmitter on the hotshoe of the camera to two hotshoe receivers on hotshoes on the lighting stands onto which the speelites sit.
Are you saying that if I taped one radio receiver to somewhere on the stand on which one of the strobes is set, and then used the short cord from the radio receiver to the strobe that would fire everything?
Gosh I am making a meal out of this - sorry but it is important that I know it can work before I sink the money into buying a strobe set.

flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,643 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 01, 2014 05:59 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #8

No worries just sitting here waiting for the coffee to brew and appreciating some quiet before the kids wake up.

Your best bet is to have a strato for each light. But you don't absolutely have to. Give me minute and I will take a look at the strato. I know it will work, but will confirm the type cord you need.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,643 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 01, 2014 06:20 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #9

The info given on this page under specifications http://www.phottix.com …ttix-strato-ii-multi.html (external link)

Tells me that the output is via the hotshoe or 3.5 mm plug and that it can receive a sync signal via a 2.5 mm port. In my method you will be going out from the 3.5 mm port to the elinchrom 3.5 mm port.

Got my info from this elinchrom strobe: http://www.elinchrom.u​s …e-4-it-400ws-with-skyport (external link)

The 3.5mm or quarter inch plug (same as stereo headphone plugs) have become the standard over the old school PC cord that was a bit of a pain in the arse at times. You should confirm your strobe will have a similar plug.

If you plan to use elinchrom sky port there are other considerations.

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 06:33 |  #10

hes gone wrote in post #17245176 (external link)
=he's gone;17245176]The info given on this page under specifications http://www.phottix.com …ttix-strato-ii-multi.html (external link)

Tells me that the output is via the hotshoe or 3.5 mm plug and that it can receive a sync signal via a 2.5 mm port. In my method you will be going out from the 3.5 mm port to the elinchrom 3.5 mm port.

Got my info from this elinchrom strobe: http://www.elinchrom.u​s …e-4-it-400ws-with-skyport (external link)

The 3.5mm or quarter inch plug (same as stereo headphone plugs) have become the standard over the old school PC cord that was a bit of a pain in the arse at times. You should confirm your strobe will have a similar plug.

If you plan to use elinchrom sky port there are other considerations.

Brilliant - Thanks. Get back to your coffee and I hope that the kids decide to sleep in for a while longer

flickr (external link)

HungV
201 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 10:36 |  #11

Every one already explained. I used the combination all the times.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2806/12861150625_7c4fe59154_s.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/kAuL​1i  (external link) IMG_8689 (external link) by HungVuongVan (external link), on Flickr

Gear List

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 01, 2014 11:47 |  #12

HungV wrote in post #17245529 (external link)
Every one already explained. I used the combination all the times.

If you us,e all combinations at the same time you are in for some frustration shoots.

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,518 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 01, 2014 16:02 |  #13

If you use an on camera trigger with pass through, you can even stack triggers. I have put Cactus6's (for Alien Bees) on top of a PocketWizard MiniTT1 (for speedlights).

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2014 17:50 |  #14

bsmotril wrote in post #17246109 (external link)
If you use an on camera trigger with pass through, you can even stack triggers. I have put Cactus6's (for Alien Bees) on top of a PocketWizard MiniTT1 (for speedlights).

Wow, that would be even better! Thanks for that information. It means that I could shave the Phottix transmitter and the Elinchrom Skyport stacked. Now definitely convinced that I can make this combo work

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,120 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can strobes and speedlites work together
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.