Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best alternative to Canon 50mm f/1.4

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 05, 2014 14:34 |  #1

Hi,

This lens is just too fragile for me, the second time in a year it's gone back for USM repair. Canon should be ashamed, that's all I'm saying.

I'd like some experience with alternatives so that I can make a choice. It's not often that I used the 50mm but when there is a need for f/2.0 or so it has come in very handy, and its horrible design notwithstanding the image quality was great. I've been considering the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX and seen mixed reviews. Any thoughts on this one, or other manufacturers' choices?

Thanks.

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 05, 2014 14:35 |  #2

Do you need 50mm? What about the 85mm 1.8? It's built a tiny bit better. If you want something with a lot better build you better be ready to hand over some $$$.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

lance60031x
ISO composure
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 05, 2014 14:46 |  #3

Siggy 50 1.4 ART

7d mii, 5d miii, 70-200 f2.8 ii, 17-40 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 24-105 f4, 100 macro L, 300 f4 canon 50 1.4, canon 85 1.8, siggy 35 f1.4 siggy 50 1.4 A

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 05, 2014 14:47 |  #4

Can you afford the Sigma 50mm Art?

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 15:29 |  #5

Nethawked wrote in post #17254159 (external link)
Hi,

This lens is just too fragile for me, the second time in a year it's gone back for USM repair. Canon should be ashamed, that's all I'm saying.

I'd like some experience with alternatives so that I can make a choice. It's not often that I used the 50mm but when there is a need for f/2.0 or so it has come in very handy, and its horrible design notwithstanding the image quality was great. I've been considering the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX and seen mixed reviews. Any thoughts on this one, or other manufacturers' choices?

Thanks.

Sigma's 50 F1.4 is the alternative.

The ART is the even better alternative.

And the 50 F1.2L is the alternative for someone that needs 1.2.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
791 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 05, 2014 17:38 |  #6

Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer the 50mm over 85mm, it will be used on both crop and FF bodies.

I can afford the Sigma ART but it's difficult to justify given the limited use it will get. That said, if it's that great this may change.

I was hoping for some feedback from users of the 1.4 EX, reviews have been very inconsistent.

Cheers.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 17:54 |  #7

The problem with the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, it's when you put the cap back on the front element, you should not push the focusing barrel.

It happen to me too, years ago, so now, i put back the inner/focus barrel by turning the focus ring before to put the cap on and when it's inside/secure in the body, i put the cap on (a friend gave me this advice, and from this "procedure" i never sent it back again).

It's a very well known flaw (shame on Canon) but it's the only way to stop to send you 50mm for repair ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,624 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 05, 2014 18:02 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #8

Great tip!

For IQ, the 50Art is definitely worth it IMO.

Gear List

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 18:14 |  #9

smythie wrote in post #17254534 (external link)
Great tip!

For IQ, the 50Art is definitely worth it IMO.

I will add that this lens make me so paranoid, that my exact "procedure" is :
- Put the switch on MF (Manual Focus, but don't know if it's really needed)
- Turn the focus ring to put the barrel inside the body
- Put back the switch on AF (to not forget later that it will not auto-focus in Manual focus :lol: )
- Put the lens cap on

Ok it take 2-3 seconds to do that but it's 5 years now i never sent back my lens :D

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 05, 2014 18:20 |  #10

For a reasonably-priced 50mm, Sigma is pretty much the only autofocus alternative. If you're looking to go a bit wider, the Canon 35mm IS or 40mm STM are both nice lenses and more durable than the 50mm f/1.4 in my experience. If you're shooting crop and want a bit longer, the 60mm macro might be an option.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

robbyh
190 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 05, 2014 18:36 |  #11

I just picked up the Sigma 50 1.4 (non art) and for the price I love it.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
6D, 24-105 f/4 L | YN 565 |

Nethawked
THREAD ­ STARTER
791 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 05, 2014 18:38 |  #12

Since my first repair I've read all sorts of horror stories about this lens - don't carry it in a camera bag because it could get knocked around, don't screw on a filter, never lay it down, try not to clean it too much, don't carry it so the lens is pointed straight down, permanently install the lens hood with gaffer's tape. Canon repair center claims I dropped it and the impact caused the issue. I tell ya, it's a class action suit just waiting to happen :)

The new tips above are helpful, I thank you for posting.

Edit - I should add that since the first repair I have been very careful and the lens hood is never off of it until it gets home and put away, in a Pelican foam case. I no longer add it to my camera bag(s) for use away from home due to the above feedback, which is a shame. It may be that putting the lens cap on has caused it, until then the only possibility has been pushing it in its foam slot. In either case, it's ridiculous.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 18:46 |  #13

Almost the same price ;)
Sigma 50 f/1.4 EX (non Art) > http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Normal_50mm_f_1​_4_EX.html (external link)
Canon EF 50 f/1.4 > http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_f_1_4_USM_Auto​focus.html (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,278 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2014 18:58 |  #14

Nethawked wrote in post #17254595 (external link)
Since my first repair I've read all sorts of horror stories about this lens - don't carry it in a camera bag because it could get knocked around, don't screw on a filter, never lay it down, try not to clean it too much, don't carry it so the lens is pointed straight down, permanently install the lens hood with gaffer's tape. Canon repair center claims I dropped it and the impact caused the issue. I tell ya, it's a class action suit just waiting to happen :)

The new tips above are helpful, I thank you for posting.

Edit - I should add that since the first repair I have been very careful and the lens hood is never off of it until it gets home and put away, in a Pelican foam case. I no longer add it to my camera bag(s) for use away from home due to the above feedback, which is a shame. It may be that putting the lens cap on has caused it, until then the only possibility has been pushing it in its foam slot. In either case, it's ridiculous.

Other than the story about the focusing barrel should be inside before to put the cap on, a filter, to clean it or whatever, i use this lens exactly like all the other lenses, meaning, i put it in my bag also, whatever, when the focusing barrel is fully inside the body i don't care any more ... i mean, i care just like any other lenses ;)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,710 posts
Gallery: 1104 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 05, 2014 19:35 |  #15

Heya,

If this lens is to be seldomly used, the Sigma 50 F1.4 (non-ART) goes for $275 used commonly. I'd go with that. No sense getting a $1k lens to collect dust. If you don't shoot 50 often, it will not make you suddenly only walk around with that single lens (it's better than the non-ART, but not in such a way that you'll want to keep $750 extra tied into it).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

8,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best alternative to Canon 50mm f/1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.